329 days

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

329 days

Van Gaal was definitely in the top half in terms of length of service. Maybe even in the top 20. But I guess his departure won't have much effect as the median is now amongst last summers appointments, which came thick and fast.

Comment

329 days

Any thoughts on resurrecting this?

Anyroad Di Matteo's gone.

Comment

329 days

Di Matteo was sub-median, but Mowbray was above - by my workings out we're at a touch over 300 days, with the median lying between Hasselbaink and Clough, but I'm sure EEG will be along to confirm.

Comment

329 days

Mickey Mellon has departed for pastures new apparently and he was above the median. Looking forward to an EEG update.

Comment

329 days

Karl Robinson has been relieved of his duties at the Franchise, after six years.

As self-appointed proxy for EEG, I can reveal that the median is now midnight between Christmas Day and Boxing Day last year, between Danny Wilson at Chesterfield and Slavisa Jokanovic at Fulham.

302.5 days.

Comment

329 days

As most management changes occur in the first half of the season (I'm guessing), will that mean the median will be much higher come May?

Comment

329 days

No, it doesn't seem to work that way. When there's a cluster effect that usually means it will build up and then suddenly drop again.

Comment

329 days

The next big drop in the median will be in three (above median) sackings/resignations/parted company due to mutual consents' time, as there is now a gap of 26 days between Jones at Luton and Sarll at Stevenage.
                  Although it's doubtful Sarll will last that long.

Comment

329 days

Paul Hurst enjoyed just one day as the third longest serving manager in the league* before jumping on to Shrewsbury's sinking ship.

So the median moves to December 28, between Jokanovic at Fulham and Luke Williams at Swindon. 301 days.

*Although most of that was non-league, and a couple of years was joint management with Rob Scott.

Comment

Has anyone been keeping track of this in the mean time?

Comment

I don't know about keeping track but loading up the Wiki tells me the median is currently a very healthy 461.5 days, between the appointment of two Dutchmen, Jaap Stam and Ronald Koeman, on 13 and 14 June last year.

But the sacking season starts shortly (or has it already started?), and there's a cluster above median now into their second full season, who in a few weeks time will be getting thanked for all they have done. The next big drop is in 5 departures' time - last season there were no managerial changes at all in August and September, so there's a big gap between Rösler at Fleetwood and Warnock at Cardiff, who was last season's first change on October 5. We've had 5 changes so far this September,

Comment

Originally posted by jwdd27 View Post
                          Paul Hurst enjoyed just one day as the third longest serving manager in the league* before jumping on to Shrewsbury's sinking ship.
                          He kept the ship up. Early days this season but a record breaking start.

461 days median is nuts though.

Comment

As well as badmouthing Hurst, I also predicted last October that Darren Sarll was shortly to be sacked by Stevenage, and he is still in post, alongside "managerial advisor" Glenn Roeder.

Comment

You weren't wrong though. Shrewsbury was a sinking ship. He somehow kept them afloat.

Comment

Despite the sacking season being well underway, the median continues to rise, and is now wedged, somewhat uncomfortably I would think, between Neil Warnock and Steve Bruce - 469.5 days.

It's the basket case sub median clubs doing the chopping and changing it seems.
                                Thread favourite Darren Sarll is still in post, as is Paul Hurst, who now sits just below Bruce.

Jaap Stam would seem the next above median candidate for the chop, and surely Benitez will have had enough soon.

Comment

I was just thinking about this thread when the radio sports chap was going on about 26 sackings so far this season. But most of them have been of people who barely had time to warm the seat before getting a boot up the bum.

469.5 days was a surprise to me. I would have thought it was less than a year.

Comment

On this day two years ago, the figure was 302. It’s been quite an increase since. Any ideas why that is?

Comment

Today's departure means this index is back to 302 days. No comparators to start of seasons in this thread though.

Comment

Presumably the two longest-serving managers in the English leagues going this summer (Wenger and Tisdale) knackered the average here?

Comment

It is a median rather than an average so it won't have that much effect. The 45th longest serving manager leaving will have the same effect to the median as the longest serving leaving.

Comment

Originally posted by Ek weet nie View Post
                                            Today's departure means this index is back to 302 days. No comparators to start of seasons in this thread though.
                                            Had you been waiting and watching for six months just for the next time the magic '302' came up, or was it just a happy coincidence you happened to work it out again today and it came up with the same figure?

Comment

I'll let you decide the answer to that VA.

I miscalculated by the way. I took the 46th longest serving manager but it should be the average of the 46th and 47th manager which is 298 days. If a couple of managers were to get sacked in the next couple of weeks the median could be down to approx. 250. The wiki page hasn't updated for the Blackpool job change - not sure if there are other managers not yet accounted for.

Comment

Heh, OK I'll withhold judgement for now while I ponder that one...

250 days would be one of the lowest marks noted on this thread. Just reading back through the whole shebang, the lowest EEG registered was 223.5 during May two years ago, but we didn't otherwise note a figure below about 270.

In the process, I can't help noticing blameless' query has come up from various passers-by at semi-regular intervals. We probably ought to have the equivalent of a 'sticky' saying, in large friendly letters, that the calculation of the "average" time-in-post of the league's 92 managers is not being made using the mean (add up all the managers' spells in their current post and divide the total by 92), but the median (take a list of all 92 in order of current longevity, and find the number exactly halfway through that list, i.e. the 46th-and-a-halfth longest-serving manager).

The mean has 'traditionally' given an answer distorted by one or two very long-servers at the head of the list, although given that the likes of Ferguson, Wenger and Tisdale have all gone the mean figure will presently be a heck of a lot closer to the median figure than it always used to be for many years.

Ironically, given that there's an even number of managers in the list, to calculate the 'median' figure still requires working out the mean of the 46th- and 47th-longest-serving managers' spells at their current clubs, of course.

Comment

Historical note, of sorts: there are only 15 league managers still in the same job from when EEG started this very thread on 22nd November 2015. David Wagner is the latest one before that date, having joined Huddersfield on 5th November that year, with Dean Smith the next one down having taken over at Brentford eight days after this thread was opened.

Before today's sacking of Gary Bowyer (ex-28th-ranked, 2 years 63 days at Blackpool) the median fell between Roy Hodgson (325 days at Palace) and Neil Aspin (303 days at Port Vale), which was 314 days. It's now* between a 46th-ranked Aspin and Steve Lovell in 47th (295 days at Gillingham), which if up-to-date means it's currently 299 days by my count, by the way.

With 48th (Puel at Leicester, 282), 49th (Adkins at Hull, 239) and 50th (Pulis at Middlesbrough, 220) the only other three appointed before the start of this year, and 51st/52nd being on a mere 207 (Jos Luhukay at Wednesday and Karanka at Forest), then yes indeed the next three exits from above the present median point will noticeably slash the figure, before there's a mini-cluster from January to slow things down again.

(*presuming the list is otherwise up-to-date)
                                                  Last edited by Various Artist; 24-08-2018, 15:42.

Comment

44 managers have presently been in post for a full year, Alex Neil being ranked one above Hodgson on 1 year 30 days at Preston.

30 of those have been in post for 2 full years, down to Pep Guardiola (2 yr 33 days) at Man City.

13 of those have been in post for 3 full years, down to Derek Adams (3 yr 53 days) at Plymouth.

8 of those have been in post for 4 full years, down to Mauricio Pochettino (the longest-serving non-English boss, 4 yr 68 days) at Spurs.

6 of those have been in post for 5 full years, down to Keith Hill (5 yr 193 days) at Rochdale.

1 of those has been in post for 6+ years, Jim Bentley (7 yr 82 days) at Morecambe.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X