329 days

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

329 days

Since the expansion of the league to 30 sides, teams only play each other once, except for a designated rival that they play twice. The result is everybody plays 30 games over the season but they still get the TV money for two Boca Juniors - River Plate games.

Comment

329 days

Update: 340.5 days (Saunders' exit from Chesterfield having been irrelevant to the median calculation).

Comment

329 days

Brentford appoint Dean Smith as manager, meaning there is now a vacancy at Walsall (and the list of managers in their first jobs drops by one).

Comment

329 days

Hang on, hang on, Teddy Sheringham?

Who on earth have put him in charge of anything?

Comment

329 days

OK, quite a bit to update for this time.

Median as of now: 332 days.

(based on: 46th in longevity table now Pardew at Palace (3 Jan), 47th is Alex Neil at Norwich (9 Jan), so median appointment date 6 Jan, i.e. 332 days ago.

The departures of Saunders from Chesterfield, Sturrock from Yeovil, Carsley from Brentford and Warnock (caretaker) from the QPR manager's job had no impact per se as all were sub-median anyway. But Dean Smith's departure from Walsall (to go to Brentford), and Hasselbaink's departure from Burton (to QPR) took super-median entries out, as did Steve Clarke's sacking by Reading.

Edit: so, just be totally OCD about this, we have 5 days passage of time, and a 3 places shift on the list worth minus 13.5 days between them resulting in a net fall of 8.5 days in the median since my previous update!

Comment

329 days

Update in recognition of Monk's sacking by Swansea.

Median as of now: 322 and a half days (a new low since I started this exercise)

46th in table now Neil at Norwich (9 Jan), 47th Dougie Freedman at Forest (1 Feb), so median appointment date 20 and a half'th of January (322.5 days ago).

Since previous update 5 days elapsed, but that single step down the list cost 14.5 days, so net loss of 9.5 days.

Comment

329 days

Keep this up EEG. I think it's really interesting.

Comment

329 days

Six days with no managerial departures mean the median has now crept back up a little to 328 and a half days. [Edit: mean the median - totally accidental lame stats pun there, sorry.]

Comment

329 days

It won't Still be that, one assumes...

Comment

329 days

Thanks for the tip-off Janik. Indeed not, that shift of one place in the list reduces the median by 14.5 days. Just on the Luton result stats alone, that looks like a particularly harsh and idiotic sacking, but that's a topic for the thread currently called En Garde....

Update (assuming no further sackings today):

Median as of now: 316 days (another new low since I started this exercise)

46th in table now Dougie Freedman at Forest (1 Feb), 47th Justin Edinburgh at Gillingham (7 Feb) so median appointment date 4 Feb (316 days ago).

Comment

329 days

Evariste Euler Gauss wrote:
                        Update (assuming no further sackings today):
                        Looks like there might have been quite a big one.

Comment

329 days

And he will have been above the median as well. We must be closing on the 300 mark now.

Comment

329 days

Wow.

Second update of the day:

Median as of now: 304 days (of course, yet another new low since I started this exercise)

46th in table now Justin Edinburgh at Gillingham (7 Feb), 47th Lee Johnson at Barnsley (25 February) so median appointment date 16 Feb (304 days ago).

Comment

329 days

Who is the current 48th longest serving? That will tell us how long have we got to go without a departure* to avoid dropping under 300 days for the median.

* - of one of the longer term placeholders. Though Johnson himself is probably the prime candidate to be next!

Comment

329 days

Tony Mowbray at Coventry, appointed 3 March.

Comment

329 days

So that would be 28 Feb as the median, or currently 292 days ago. A week without a sacking? Sounds unlikely.

Comment

329 days

Soon as I heard about Mourinho I thought 'that'll change EEG's thread'.

Didn't know about John Still.

Comment

329 days

Dean Smith is now the longest serving manager in West London.

Two and a half weeks.

Comment

329 days

EEG's timing with the innocent "assuming no further sackings today" comment the other day was bloody outstanding. The fact that Mourinho was already back into the top 20 (as I recall, or maybe fractionally outside it) of the longest-serving league managers in his second stint at Chelsea is as indicative as anything of the rate of turnover these days.

As the average crept up for a while previously I was 'worried', if that's the word to describe a phenomenon whereby for a few short weeks all league managers stayed in a job, that my sweepstake prediction of a median 318 days come May 1st was too low. Now though I'm already more inclined to think I was too generous. You never get anywhere underestimating the trigger-happiness of football club chairmen, in other words.

Comment

329 days

Thing is though there are 'sacking seasons' - 10 games in, the week before Christmas, beginning of March when relegation becomes a more concrete possibility, the end of the season. Also most of the bottom clubs have sacked their manager now so the rate should slow down now. (Famous last words!)

Comment

329 days

Unless of course they all get a 'new manager bounce', rise up the table, and the clubs supplanting them at the bottom all sack theirs in succession...

Comment

329 days

Cue Freddie:- http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/35153216
                                              That takes us under the 300 days mark, right?

Comment

329 days

Indeed! New median appointment date 28 Feb, which is 296 days ago. A week shy of 10 months.

Comment

329 days

That BBC link is the boilerplate for manager/board bullshit:

1) A statement on the club website said both Burnett and the Dagenham board "felt a change was necessary in order to turn around the team's fortunes".

2) Following Saturday's 3-0 defeat at home by Bristol Rovers, Burnett told BBC Radio London he would not resign.

... "The only people that can make that decision is the board. If they no longer feel I can do the job that is required, then that is their decision they have to make."

We've made it, now sign here saying you did too.

Comment

329 days

Well, they could hardly release a statement saying 'Following the departure of John Still from Luton, we couldn't get rid of Wayne fast enough!', could they?

Comment

Working...
                                                    X