Rousey Routed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rousey Routed

ad hoc, on re-reading my post, I have entirely failed to make clear that I mostly agreed with you. FWIW I would never, ever watch a UFC bout, same as I would never watch Boxing. I acknowledge Rousey's achievements whilst abhorring the arena she achieved them in, I guess.

Comment

Rousey Routed

Whittaker wrote: big boxing events these days now get filled with tossers who are there to snort coke and fight each other.
      And that's just the boxers.

Comment

Rousey Routed

ad hoc wrote: Obviously i can't argue with that. However, it is a sport (what sport? I still don't know) about which i know absolutely zero and which sounds (as far I do get what is going on here) to be even worse than boxing in terms of just being about brute violence. So, yes, in nearly every aspect of life I'm happy that women are succeeding in a male-dominated world. In this, well, I have no idea whether I can be quite that happy
        So basically you're pontificating about something you admittedly know hee-haw about.

Comment

Rousey Routed

No because I'm not pontificating. Unless you have a very different definition of pontificating than the one I am familiar with

Comment

Rousey Routed

MMA = Mixed Martial Arts, a "combat sport" combining elements of boxing with those of other disciplines (kicks, judo throws, etc), contested in an octagonal ring surrounded by a fence.

UFC = Ultimate Fighting Championship, the premier MMA organisation and the one sanctioning this particular bout.

WWE = World Wrestling Entertainment, the professional wrestling model on which UFC was based.

Comment

Rousey Routed

ad hoc wrote: No because I'm not pontificating. Unless you have a very different definition of pontificating than the one I am familiar with
              Well, your first post here was to chime in to say that you don't know what anyone else was saying, and that made you happy. So it does seem like you're just posting to say that you don't like it, for mostly moral reasons.

Comment

Rousey Routed

Where did I say it made me happy? I said I had the feeling, that possibly my ignorance was a good thing for me.

If that's pontificating, then I'm a monkey's uncle to boot.

Comment

Rousey Routed

I should perhaps add to what ursus said above, his description of WWE as "the professional wrestling model on which UFC was based" is not to imply that the UFC is in any way scripted or similar, but rather that it has consciously adopted some of the glamour and razzmatazz that top-tier pro wrestling does so well, to make its own stars and their rivalries more 'showbiz' and, given that it nowadays presents itself as a relatively mainstream form of mass entertainment, more marketable.

I've watched a handful MMA fights online over the past few years, coming at it from the perspective of being a fan of pro wrestling, which since around the turn of the millennium has both influenced the presentation of MMA and has also absorbed at least superficial influences from it in return. Having taken the pretty sordid 'sport' of cage fighting and given it what we could broadly call athletic regulation and legitimacy, UFC I suppose comes across no more or less savage to me than boxing, strangely perhaps – certainly, watching either doesn't really bother me at all, despite my being rabidly pacifistic in 'real life'.

Comment

Rousey Routed

The grappling aspect means that MMA is probably less brutal than boxing, in that you're not continually being punched in the face, but it certainly looks more brutal to the uninitiated.

Comment

Rousey Routed

I wrote about it a lot on oldtf, having some pretty funny exchanges with a Quiet Man about how it was essentially human chess. I lost track when Georges St. Pierre retired.

I'm not getting into a why you should like it or not. I think it's much, much safer than boxing. For one, once you're knocked down, the fight is essentially over. None of that getting up 5-6 times from knockdowns.

That said, it has completely evolved into much more of a striking sport - right from the moment that Maurice Smith beat Mark Coleman in UFC 14.

Comment

Rousey Routed

Charles de Gallois wrote:
                        Originally posted by Whittaker
                        I'll admit, I like it. I still prefer boxing, but I have grown to like MMA and I've been to a couple of UFC events.

I like the unity of it compared to the boxing organisations, as was mentioned earlier. I like the fact that one organisation sets the venues, rather than dubious movements organised by fighters and their management, and the associated dodgy home decisions (part of the reason why Italy no longer gets any decent boxing). And I like the atmosphere- big boxing events these days now get filled with tossers who are there to snort coke and fight each other. Froch v Groves II was a pretty unpleasant experience.
                        I still attend some pro boxing bouts (including Froch v Groves II) and agree with you on your criticisms but if you want boxing with an open, unified organisational structure and a more bearable crowd then go to AIBA events.

Thanks for the tip, I'll keep an eye out.

Comment

Rousey Routed

I have tried to watch UFC but the fights just make me nervous. I think it's the choking part and the brutality of the knockouts. It's odd because I really like boxing, but I admit that I get the same anxious feeling when I watch James Kirkland fight. There's always a sense that Kirkland or his opponent are going to be seriously hurt; that's how I feel watching UFC. This makes the experience less enjoyable. I'm sure the UFC execs aren't losing any sleep over my lack of support.

Comment

Rousey Routed

ooh aah wrote: The grappling aspect means that MMA is probably less brutal than boxing, in that you're not continually being punched in the face, but it certainly looks more brutal to the uninitiated.
                            Broken limbs of losers who don't tap out fast enough (or by winners who don't give them that chance), and the string of bare knuckle punches to opponents' heads while they are on the ground, it seems like they always manage to get those through before the ref stops the fight. I'm not a fan either, and kind of taken aback at how popular the sport is locally.

Comment

Rousey Routed

Hahahahaha.

http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/dave-hannigan-mcgregor-hype-machine-going-into-overdrive-1.2451837?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Comment

Rousey Routed

If it's any consolation, most Americans don't know who he is. But to a man, all of the non-media people I follow on Twitter who follow UFC hate him. I don't see him becoming a marketable star in the US, except as maybe someone people want to see get hit.

Comment

Rousey Routed

Connor McGregor knocks Jose Aldo down with one punch, Aldo connected with a pretty solid punch as he was going down, though. McGregor then hammered his fist down on Aldo's face a few times as he was down, and then the fight was over.

I can't find a gif of the celebration, but he hopped up on the ring and looked tough for a second before laughing, doing the make it rain gesture, and then flipped off either someone in the crowd, or no one in particular:

Comment

Rousey Routed

Christ, he was unbearable before that, it's unimaginable how obnoxious he'll be now.

Comment

Rousey Routed

I must say that a world title match that lasts one punch is not a great advertisement for the validity of the sport is it? If that was a world championship boxing match, the FBI would now be involved.

Comment

Rousey Routed

The Awesome Berbaslug!!! wrote: I must say that a world title match that lasts one punch is not a great advertisement for the validity of the sport is it? If that was a world championship boxing match, the FBI would now be involved.
                                        Benn, Tyson, Eubank & Hopkins are all did it in major fights. It happens.

Comment

Rousey Routed

It would be nice if McGregor used some of his new market power to get a better deal for his colleagues who ar being ruthlessly exploited by Dana White.

Comment

Rousey Routed

Conor McGregor's good, but he's no Junkie Joe Joyce.

Comment

Rousey Routed

McGregor tapped out after suffering some sharp punches from Nate Diaz. The crowd loved it. And Diaz's first words in his interview: "I'm not surprised, motherfuckers."

McGregor's appeal in America might take a sharp hit. Pissing away his money on expensive cars and a big house in Manhattan Beach might not have been the best idea.

Comment

Rousey Routed

Neither was trying to move up two weight classes, which may have had more effect than cars and houses.

Comment

Rousey Routed

I wasn't saying that spending money caused his loss, but now that he's been beaten, the "the guy you love to hate" image here in the US isn't as strong as it was when he was undefeated. His marketing potential has taken a hit. He said before the fight that spending lots of money motivated him to do well so he wouldn't lose and risk losing his money. Seems like a smart strategy...

Comment

Rousey Routed

He's supposed to be a brown belt in BJJ. Diaz just glided through him like a very hot knife through some very soft butter. The moment Diaz locked the choke in he immediately tapped, like he panicked. He's gonna need to work on that real fast if he wants to keep that belt.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X