Crystal Methanol - Speedway 2016

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think Arena Essex is safe from development. It's an old cement quarry and the base has been built up with landfill which makes it impractical to build on.

Comment

The play-off semi-finals are odd, because they should attract a big crowd but that fact that it's on TV, plus the alternating heats often leads to a lot of waiting and standing around (when it should make things zip faster) keeps a lot away. It might be better at a tighter arena like Lakeside but 2 years ago we could hardly see the "big screen" at Coventry, and couldn't hear a thing (which, to be honest, is par for the course at delapidating Brandon).

It's not a fait accompli for Wolves yet but they'll need one of the Poole riders to have a terrible night next week and for Woffinden to actually look like he cares.

Comment

Paul S wrote: I think Arena Essex is safe from development. It's an old cement quarry and the base has been built up with landfill which makes it impractical to build on.
        Maybe, co-promoter Jon Cook was talking about a new stadium in 3/4 years in his interview last night though. Not that any such talk can be taken at face value in speedway.

Comment

A new track would be terrific in Thurrock as Arena Essex really is very poor for speedway. However, it is a very good stock car venue. I always go to the Firecracker which is the end of season stock car bash. They tend to get crowds of 10,000 for those although last years meeting took place in thick mist. Watching banger racing in mist was an eerie experience. Not quite as eerie as the fireworks display afterwards which took place in thick fog!

Comment

Coventry Stadium staff have been locked out ahead of tonight's NL double-header, apparently for non-payment of rent. I think it's finally over.

Comment

Watching Wolves v Poole down my social club. Bloody brilliant stuff, hope Wolves can win. Belle Vue v Hammers dead already.

Comment

So with one race left the score is:

Wolves 89-85 Poole

Wonderful stuff to watch on TV. Glad I went to my first speedway race four years ago.

Comment

YAY! POOLE OUT!

Pity it was on a debatable exclusion for Tungate but thank gawd for that.

Comment

Good meeting and tremendous result.

Comment

I have no strong feelings on this.
                      Except GET THE FUCK IN. Sky will be horrified now - it's like Leicester winning the Premier League all over again.

In other news, the grapevine says that Colin Pratt will step in to run Coventry in 2017. The grapevine isn't always reliable. Another, different grapevine says that Coventry promoter Mick Horton has done a runner with the takings. I'm not so sure on that one, given he was supposed to be assuming control of the stadium from the owners in January.

Oh, and the Polish EkstraLiga has proposed that any riders competing for its teams next season will only be able to ride in ONE other league, which will presumably be the Swedish Elitserien for most. That is actually good news for the British leagues, weirdly enough, and means less riders will be missing for the slightest of reasons.

Comment

Do I have this right, riders whose main focus is the Elite League will be effectively prevented from riding in the Polish league (unless they don't have a Swedish contract, which must be unlikely for those good enough to ride in Poland) and from doubling up in the Premier League under the recent rule changes there?

A few of them are going to have some financial problems aren't they?

Comment

That's the plan, yes. The FIM mooted a similar thing a few years ago - speedway is surely alone in professional sport when it comes to riding for different teams in different leagues and they probably want to close that difference.

Comment

Isn't there a risk that some riders are going to need significantly more money from their Elite league clubs or possibly leave the sport?

Comment

We're only talking about a dozen riders being affected (not withstanding the Danish Motor Union insisting on Danish League action for their licenses), most of whom will also be involved in the SGP.

The knock-on effect I'm hoping for is a return to semi-professionalism for all but the top riders.

Comment

Plymouth have issued a statement saying the club is to be liquidated due to ongoing losses. Commiserations, Greenlander.

Comment

Oh, bloody hell. Terrible news.

In on-track matters it's the second leg of the Elite League Grand Final tomorrow night and Wolves are firm favourites as they take a 14 point lead to Belle Vue.

The Torun GP delivered typically excellent racing for the penultimate event of the season prior to the jolly up to Melbourne in a few weeks time.

Unfortunately series leader Jason Doyle won't be there as he crashed in his opening ride on Saturday night dislocating his shoulder, breaking his elbow and damaging a lung.

This leaves Greg Hancock as the champion elect, he can't really be caught,

Comment

Last week we were all celebrating the news that we'd be running in 2017 and now it seems that completing this season was nothing short of a miracle.

Somehow this doesn't seem as drastic as the events back in March, probably as there's no racing to look forward to, but I'm under no illusion that this is most probably the end of the ride and the sport in Plymouth.

Comment

Working...
                                    X