• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I can’t believe the news today…

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-34775466

“Man arrested over ‘Bloody Sunday’ ”

Can't let this go especially seeing as the cryptic thread title may see it swamped. What occurred to me about this is that it sounds like the soldier was arrested in the County Antrim area. Now, obviously, there is no reason why a member of the Parachute Regiment couldn't be from County Antrim. However, it struck me as odd that, if they were not from Northern Ireland, they would, as an ex-soldier who served there, settle there. Most soldiers I know would never go back to anywhere they served especially if they were fairly unpopular. Even if - maybe especially if - they were from Northern Ireland, they may be reluctant. Add in that they were either present at and possibly implicated in "Bloody Sunday" at it all seems even odder.

Comment

Definitely a lone assassin job, this. Case closed.

Comment

This is "Soldier J", whose original statement is here, and whose cross-examination is here.

The relevant sections of the Saville Report (ch. 81, para. 86ff.) are here:

"In effect Lance Corporal J professed to remember little or nothing of the events of the day ... we do not believe that Lance Corporal J genuinely had no recollection of events."

Comment

Bored of Education wrote: Can't let this go especially seeing as the cryptic thread title may see it swamped. What occurred to me about this is that it sounds like the soldier was arrested in the County Antrim area. Now, obviously, there is no reason why a member of the Parachute Regiment couldn't be from County Antrim. However, it struck me as odd that, if they were not from Northern Ireland, they would, as an ex-soldier who served there, settle there. Most soldiers I know would never go back to anywhere they served especially if they were fairly unpopular. Even if - maybe especially if - they were from Northern Ireland, they may be reluctant. Add in that they were either present at and possibly implicated in "Bloody Sunday" at it all seems even odder.
          Really? I thought it one of my more opaque thread titles.

Comment

I love Bored's fairly unpopular line.

Here's a wee tip - never, ever announce to anyone in Ireland, or an Irish person abroad that you were /are a member of The Parachute Regiment.
            You could find yourself the most unpopular person in casualty / the morgue.

Comment

I was genuinely wracked by the loss of a suitable phrase.

Sorry, Guy, I really can't quite explain this - especially as I prefer U2 from that period to the Beatles - but I was thinking of "A Day in the Life"

Comment

Calvert wrote: I love Bored's fairly unpopular line.

Here's a wee tip - never, ever announce to anyone in Ireland, or an Irish person abroad that you were /are a member of The Parachute Regiment.
                Unless you're abroad in the company of an Irish person with your mates?

And why, pray, would said Irish person risk arrest and possible incarceration in that foreign jurisdiction?

Comment

Bored of Education wrote: I was genuinely wracked by the loss of a suitable phrase.

Sorry, Guy, I really can't quite explain this - especially as I prefer U2 from that period to the Beatles - but I was thinking of "A Day in the Life"
                  Oh yeah. I'd never even thought of the Fabs.

Apologies.

Comment

O
                    Guy Potger wrote:
                    Originally posted by Calvert
                    I love Bored's fairly unpopular line.

Unless you're abroad in the company of an Irish person with your mates?

And why, pray, would said Irish person risk arrest and possible incarceration in that foreign jurisdiction?
                    Aye, it wasn't meant to be taken totally seriously, however it remains a very emotive issue. Some of the people I grew up around would be phoning ahead for their gun.
                    We had a guy where I work running around telling anyone who'd listen 'I'm ex-army, me', which was usually met with a simmering silence or a 'so fuck?' He had to be taken aside by the management and told to cut it out for his own safety.
                    I think you'd kind of have to be from certain parts of Norn Iron to fully appreciate the absolute hatred the Paras are still held in. They're a bunch of savages who were let loose on civilians. I mean, you wouldn't see the British government letting them or the Royal Marines loose in Sheffield no matter what the circumstances. Same story with water cannon/ plastic and rubber bullets.

Comment

Bloody hell, you lot are so mardy. Why don't you just let it go?

Comment

Hahaha.

You're talking to the wrong guy
                        I mean, I still fucking hate them, but I didn't want to join another bunch of cunts in order to kill them.

Comment

Bloody hell, thank goodness for that. I posted that and meant to pop back immediately in case it had been taking in the wrong vein and just got caught up.

Comment

Calvert wrote: I mean, you wouldn't see the British government letting them or the Royal Marines loose in Sheffield no matter what the circumstances. Same story with water cannon/ plastic and rubber bullets.
                            I wouldn't be absolutely sure of that. But revolution is currently a long way off.

”PETER LOO MASSACRE ! ! !

Just published No. 1 price twopence of PETER LOO MASSACRE Containing a full, true and faithful account of the inhuman murders, woundings and other monstous Cruelties exercised by a set of INFERNALS (miscalled Soldiers) upon unarmed and distressed People.”
                            — 28 August 1819, Manchester Observer

Comment

Yesterday they had some UKIP guy on Five Live talking about bringing back the death penalty and one of his arguments was "If you don't respect property we imprison you and deny you of the right to enjoy property. If you don't respect life, then we should have the right to deprive you of your life."

The three counter-arguments that immediately popped into my head wee de Menezez being shot in the head by a police officer at a station, that guy who got clubbed by a police officer while walking past a demonstration in London, and Bloody Sunday. All cases where you could argue the people involved didn't show much respect for life and by UKIP guy's argument should be on death row (or hanged by now).

Anyway, nobody heard me ranting away in the car as I drove to work about this, but then today someone gets arrested for Bloody Sunday.

Comment

Working...
                              X