Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Snooker 2015-16

David Agnew wrote:

Barry Hearn has announced that the World Championship's will stay "in Sheffield" until 2027 (because "sometimes sport is not just about money"), which most people have taken to mean The Crucible, but Hearn also said that he was going to leave Leyton Orient in safe hands.
    I'd be surprised if it moves away from the Crucible in that timeframe, unless Hearn plans to build a new venue as there's nowhere else obvious in the city to host. I guess this is Hearn keeping the venue on its toes a bit given the length of the deal.

Comment

Snooker 2015-16

for mumpo's question above. "His desolate face".

Comment

Snooker 2015-16

Seconded. I was hoping to goodness that all the Leicester-based sporting success quotient for the night had already been used up, but no such luck.

I was going to say "joy" not "success", but, well, what Mumpo said...

Comment

Snooker 2015-16

Mumpo wrote: Can someone enlighten me as to why Mark Selby is nicknamed 'the Jester'? Apart from the fact that as a rhyme for his home town, it's preferable to 'Molester'. Isn't a jester supposed to create joy? Not suck the joy from every potentially enjoyable situation, as Selby does by his constant prevarication over even the most straightforward of shots. It's not even as if there's a surfeit of merry quips pouring forth from his desolate face.
          He used to joke about a bit with the crowd when he was ranked lower.

longeared wrote:
          Originally posted by David Agnew

Barry Hearn has announced that the World Championship's will stay "in Sheffield" until 2027 (because "sometimes sport is not just about money"), which most people have taken to mean The Crucible, but Hearn also said that he was going to leave Leyton Orient in safe hands.
          I'd be surprised if it moves away from the Crucible in that timeframe, unless Hearn plans to build a new venue as there's nowhere else obvious in the city to host. I guess this is Hearn keeping the venue on its toes a bit given the length of the deal.
          Some people on Twitter were suggesting that Hearn should expand the Crucible, as though they don't think it's used the rest of the year, and don't realise that Hearn doesn't own it...

Comment

Snooker 2015-16

Q School is underway, withn a record number of entrants, including 3 female players, all of whom have reached at least the second round (though Heather Clare and Reanne Evans did so by default, as half the players got a bye through the first round). Some interesting early fallers, including perennial bridesmaid Jamie Rhys Clarke, underrated Chris Melling and tour stalwart Barry Pinches. The event always throws up a few surprise qualifiers, and it'll be exciting to see who our new pros are going to be, though I suspect most will be returnees to the tour.

Comment

Snooker 2015-16

hawkvshandsaw wrote: Q School is underway, withn a record number of entrants, including 3 female players, all of whom have reached at least the second round
              In fact, Ng On Yee and Reanne Evans are through to the third round. On Yee looks very strong so far; I didn't have the highest expectations of her after she got thrashed by a fading Peter Lines in the World Championship qualis, but she's been excellent.

Comment

Snooker 2015-16

hawkvshandsaw wrote:
                Originally posted by hawkvshandsaw
                Q School is underway, withn a record number of entrants, including 3 female players, all of whom have reached at least the second round
                In fact, Ng On Yee and Reanne Evans are through to the third round. On Yee looks very strong so far; I didn't have the highest expectations of her after she got thrashed by a fading Peter Lines in the World Championship qualis, but she's been excellent.
                Cao Yupeng is the first qualifier, making it straight back onto the tour. A good player on his day.

Comment

Snooker 2015-16

hawkvshandsaw wrote:
                  Q School is underway, withn a record number of entrants, including 3 female players, all of whom have reached at least the second round
                  Cao Yupeng is the first qualifier, making it straight back onto the tour. A good player on his day.
                  And we have our first four qualifiers. Chen Zhe returns to the tour, and Fang Xiongman and Christopher Keogan make their debuts. Don't know anything about Fang, but Keogan has been one of the best amateur players for a few years now and deserves his chance.

Comment

Snooker 2015-16

The qualifiers from the second event were Michael Georgiou, John Astley, Alex Borg and David John. All previous members of the tour (Georgiou having dropped off last season).

The four top players in the Q School Order of Merit have also been given tour cards (officially because of the number of entrants, unofficially because the tour would have between 124 and 126 players). These were Craig Steadman, Jamie Barrett, Ian Preece and Adam Duffy.

Any views on this, by the way? http://www.snookerbacker.com/2016/05/23/a-decent-proposal/

Comment

Snooker 2015-16

Get yourselves on the red button for some final frame fun in Allen v Day.

Comment

Working...
                      X