X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The tasseled loafer

linus wrote:
    Originally posted by Tony C
    That two tone version you chose to show us a bit gaudy, but the loafer - tasseled or otherwise - is a design classic and ought to be a staple item in the wardrobe of any gentleman with sartorial awareness. They can be worn formally, with a well cut suit, for business wear or with jeans/cotton trousers and a Brooks Brothers flannel shirt for weekends.

Honestly, it's like Gentleman's Quarterly never existed with you people.
    Damn right, Tony! And kudos to Fussbudget, loafers are great unisex apparel on women, like a nice fitted button down oxford shirt. Some of the high heel loafers with the long square heels are fabulous.

Loafers are the greatest men's shoes, and oxfords/brogues/captoes are right up there (not the ridiculously trendy pointy or stretch versions though). Italian shoes are overrated, classic American styling is where it is, quality timeless design that can dress up or stay as casual as an afternoon walk across the quad.

Classic tassled loafers like those above look fantastic with a classic-cut tan or olive gabardine or poplin suit (pants with wide enough legs, and a 1 and 3/4 inch cuff, not those hipster short slimfits). They are pretty hard to pull off with jeans though, unless they're suede, like these:

or less formal takes like this grograin and rubber//crepe sole number:

Yes the first wave of tasseled loafers unfurled from across the channel, indispensable apparel on two-tone soles. One of the best musical genres to ever emerge from England was clad with one of the best American fashion crafts, 2nd wave ska was a rare confluence of style and substance in the popular music realm.

Bass Weejuns was it:

It's a shame they don't do them any more.

Incidentally, I'm wearing my Alden shell cordovan loafers right now, under cuffed jeans, white oxford shirt and tan corduroy sports coat. I bought these loafers about 20 yrs ago and had them resoled once (they're due for a second one soon). My first pair lasted about 15 years but that included many active long nights on the dance floor and riding/kickstarting dual purpose motorcycles. The leather is extremely durable, as are the soles, which are butressed with a steel plate from the heel to the middle of the sole, sandwiched with leather soles.

Alden shell cordovans really are the kings of loafers, unique in quality and American craftsmanship. Shell cordovan is not leather. There is one last remaining tannery in Chicago where they painstakingly hammer out and soften horse tendon into a leather-like material that is more supple and comfortable than leather yet very tough, with a deep sheen and patina that changes color with age, almost like a Bordeaux (burgundy or more precisely ox blood being the best color on loafers). They make shell cordovan wingtips too:

They are expensive shoes, nowadays around $700, but they are several times more durable than the average shoe, and they are put together by union workers in New England (hence the cost). You mail them back to Alden and they will refurbish the uppers on new soles for a fraction of the original cost.

http://unionmadegoods.com/product/alden-cordovan-leisure-handsewn-moccasin-986-2/
    Truthfully, I would revere any of these shoes if they were in my wardrobe. There's some beautiful craftsmanship on show here. That's one thing I love about living in Madrid, as I do at the moment: they love loafers here, and appreciate a quality shoe in general.

Comment

The tasseled loafer

There are some nots being taken here and lines being drawn from the future.

This is the most beautiful shoe ever.

The George Cox 4065. Luckily, he did a version for Vegetarian Shoes which I just managed to get a pair of in my size before they sold out. Saved me paying £175 for the leather versions.
      Not sure if the pic copies, but what Bored said. I had a pair I wore til they literally fell off my feet (resoled twice).

Comment

The tasseled loafer

Jesus wrote:
        Originally posted by Haddock
        In an effort to bring some sides of the debate together, can I recommend the Dr Martens Adrian?
        [IMG][/img]
        I would rather wear dead fish on my feet, than that.
        Well, now you can.

Comment

The tasseled loafer

Jesus wrote:
          Originally posted by Bored of Education
          Originally posted by Calvert
          I like Bored's shoes. They're good. I know he didn't buy them either, but £175 for a pair of shoes?
          I'm not from London.
          Yes, if there were the cheaper vegetarian versions at £75 or whatever they were, I would always buy them (I am trying not to buy any leather anymore anyway) but if they were knackered, I would have to think seriously about it. Both types are made in Britain as well unlike DMs.
          So what do you wear?
          Paper shoes?
          Shoes made out of orange peel?
          Vegetarian shoes - ones that don't eat meat - either from the eponymous shop where I got my George Cox's from or one of the myriad of vegan/vegetarian shoe sellers out there nowadays. My New Balance trainers are also vegetarian as well. The main reason I buy all of these is that they are either made in the EU or UK.

Comment

The tasseled loafer

Jah Womble wrote: DMs are (still) where it's at.
            Made in China now though, sadly. Having said that, I never quite got on with them.

Comment

The tasseled loafer

WOM wrote: I'm a Page 6 linus man. Not at all a Page 3 linus man.
              Very much so. You know when you see people posting and think "They seem very inoffensive types. They neither disagree with me violently nor I them and they neither agree with me greatly nor I am them. As a result, they neither end up in my red book nor black book. The thing is, because of this, that you tend not to quite get a handle on them. linus was definitely one of these types. Very inoffensive and pleasant virtual company.

However, Page 3 linus has definitely queered his pitch now. In a whole thread of wrongness-squared (I mean, Eggchaser's monstrosities?!) Page 3 linus made himself king of the land of the erroneous. Page 6 is a lovely fellow. Bit too fond of brown but lovely. Indeed, Page 6 linus almost saves page 3 linus by posting some non-vile shoes at the end of the offending post and talking some sense about paying more for those union-made shoes.

I now wait to see which Page linus will win out.

Comment

The tasseled loafer

Tony C wrote: Truthfully, I would revere any of these shoes if they were in my wardrobe. There's some beautiful craftsmanship on show here. That's one thing I love about living in Madrid, as I do at the moment: they love loafers here, and appreciate a quality shoe in general.
                Good grief, man, Pafe 6 linus has almost deposed Page 3 linus in our minds. Don't resurrect the latter.

Comment

The tasseled loafer

linus wrote: There is one last remaining tannery in Chicago where they painstakingly hammer out and soften horse tendon into a leather-like material
                  Half of the White Moose Cafe thread wants a word with you. Is it too much to expect that the oxblood colour is really the blood from oxen?

Comment

Working...
                  X