Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How a Dutch bank steals land from Romanians

Of possible interest to some

https://decorrespondent.nl/3585/Think-land-grabbing-is-a-thing-of-the-past-Think-again/273041157180-30008d02

I'm pretty amazed at this. Why are dutch banks buying up tiny plots of land scattered around Romania? The amount of land mentioned in these stories is rather small. Wouldn't they be better off buying a single 300 acre dairy farm in limerick?

Comment

Romania is made up of vast numbers of tiny tiny parcels of land. For an agri-conglomerate to buy up enough contiguous ones to make an economically "efficient" farm is incredibly complex, though potentially hugely lucrative (right now these little strips of land have no great sale value, but they do serve to feed and support families, as a large combined plot their value would increase at least ten fold, I'd say). As I understand this article, what has been happening is that local officials have found ways of stealing land (or bits of land) from many people in the same village and turning it into a larger parcel, which they can then sell to Rabobank who can either sell it on or work it for profit.

Comment

ugh. So it won't make sense until they have bought it all up? That's a pretty horrible prospect. Land consolidation in the face of the economies of scale is kind of inevitable when your agricultural economy is structured like romania's currently is. There is no future in subsistence farming. It doesn't however have to become an exercise in theft though. The big question is what are the young people going to do?

Comment

I once worked with a group of Ukrainians who were looking to do something very similar there.

They were ultimately thwarted by the frequent changes in the Ukrainian leadership, which made any kind of large scale land tenure very tenuous.

Comment

Working...
          X