X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Buying an mp3 player

Smallcaps wrote:
    Originally posted by Stumpy Pepys
    This gizmo has had very good reviews (FiiO X1). It's also only one-hundred quid, although you have to provide your own SD-card storage (up to 128 GB). Also supports hi-res audio formats, if you're into that kind of thing.
    This is very relevant to my interests.
    Seems there's a second-generation version out, although it's not clear what the difference is.

The alternative would be a cheap Android or Windows smartphone and a 128 GB micro-SD. My Android phone officially supports up to 32 GB, but 64 GB runs fine. You'd have to root around the forums.

Comment

Buying an mp3 player

Stumpy Pepys wrote:
      Originally posted by dalliance
      I always marvelled at people who criticised iTunes because it didn't allow them to achieve their holy grail of 'drag and drop' management. Drag and bloody drop might be useful if you have 20 songs, but with a high capacity player in which you are managing thousands of music tracks, podcasts, video files
      etc. then it's for Luddites.
      Makes very little difference, assuming your digital files have the correct metadata. The only thing I ever found useful about iTunes was its playlist management.
      I have several hundred iTunes playlists so it makes a massive difference to me. Which is a shame, because my iPods won't last forever, and those FiiO players looks like they would make pretty good replacements otherwise.

Comment

Buying an mp3 player

I had a Samsung Galaxy Player for a while - nothing remarkable but a decent little thing with some nice features (I was particularly fond of its auto EQ - cleaned up lower bitrate stuff surprisingly well).

I say nothing remarkable... it ran on Android which seems slightly unusual for a standalone MP3 player. You'd think using such a ubiquitous OS would be a no-brainer...

Comment

Buying an mp3 player

Just bought my first smartphone last month. Girlfriend lives on the other side of the pond now and WhatsApp is free whereas SMS is pure price gouging.

Installed VLC media player on my 16 GB smartphone and uploaded a load of mp3s. Very slick indeed. My Sony MP3 player will be lonely I fear.

Comment

Buying an mp3 player

FiiO quality is pretty great if their hobbes recommended amps are anything to go by.

Comment

Buying an mp3 player

dalliance wrote: I always marvelled at people who criticised iTunes because it didn't allow them to achieve their holy grail of 'drag and drop' management. Drag and bloody drop might be useful if you have 20 songs, but with a high capacity player in which you are managing thousands of music tracks, podcasts, video files etc. then it's for Luddites
              I use Mp3tag (other audio file metadata editing software is available) to update my player, so track management is no problem.

Comment

Buying an mp3 player

My 40GB iriver is now 10 years old. And, sadly, starting to creak.

Comment

Buying an mp3 player

Ah, the iRiver. I had one of these. The hardware was terrific; way beyond the iPod. The UI, however, was horrible.

Comment

Buying an mp3 player

I had one of these. It was mint.

Comment

Buying an mp3 player

I have several hundred iTunes playlists so it makes a massive difference to me.
                      I've never really got playlists. I use them on Spotify mainly to have a whole album offline or to remind me to listen to new album later on. But who knows what order etc. you're going to want to listen to songs in future?

I usually find I either want to listen to a whole album, or I'll listen to a song which spontaneously sparks off a desire for another song etc. It's not really very structured.
                      I mean, I get the mixtape thing and it's nice to have a few playlists that you can sling on for a party or if you're reading or something. But hundreds? Doesn't that take up an enormous amount of time and then leave you with the same problem of not being able to choose?

I'm sure I'm the weird one here, by the way. I'm not having a dig.

Comment

Buying an mp3 player

I don't think I've listened to a whole album since being able to not. Listening to a whole album was generally down to it being a hassle to get up and change the record. With playlists and shuffling, skipping or deleting duff songs is one of the great joys.

Comment

Buying an mp3 player

Skipping I do.

Comment

Buying an mp3 player

I always have shuffle on - I like the slight element of surprise.

Comment

Buying an mp3 player

I really couldn't get by without playlists, smart or otherwise. Over the years I've put in place a nice process with them that lets me flag music I've not listened to, save tracks from those albums I like, rate all those tracks when I have a couple of hundred collected then put them into mixtape style compilations.

Comment

Buying an mp3 player

WOM wrote: I don't think I've listened to a whole album since being able to not. Listening to a whole album was generally down to it being a hassle to get up and change the record. With playlists and shuffling, skipping or deleting duff songs is one of the great joys.
                                Yet another reason why records are better. The only playlists I have created are some John Peel festive 50's. Otherwise it is full albums. Oh, and the great full album Nurse With Wound list playlist, which would run for nigh on twelve days.

Comment

Working...
                                X