No announcement yet.

40 years ago today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That Television song with the famous riffs is quite good, but otherwise, hmmm. One hit wonder band, like Split Enz (as far as I'm concerned, obv).

Lennon: from the radio, while getting ready for school

I think this'll be the case for a lot of us. I distinctly remember my mum's ashen reaction, though not whether she said anything. As for the others mentioned, I was either too young or just don't recall. By the time Jackson and Bowie died I was pretty immune to being fussed about such things, it was like yeah, people die. And I still have that mental thing from my youth where dying under 30 is dying young, 30-50 is youngish and 60+ is natural death age.

The music death I recall most clearly was John Peel. I was at work, surfing the net. Luckily I was on my own in the warehouse, because I just broke down. I phoned my mum in floods of tears. It felt like a friend had died, and I realised it was because he introduced me to so much of my favourite music, most especially The Fall (think I was 12 when I first heard them). And that's what your best friends do. "Listen to this! It's amazing!" I remember feeling really, really sad that there'd be Fall music he wouldn't get to hear.

Sorry to meander off the thread title. I haven't a clue what I was doing 40 years ago.

Comment

Television's Marquee Moon (for it is that) wasn't even their biggest hit here in the UK.

It's undoubtedly the one track folk would recognise, of course. It was also the first 12-inch single that I bought.

Comment

I heard about Peel when it was announced by Simon Mayo on the radio (not sure if it was Radio 1 or Radio 2), so it must have been announced mid-afternoon, presumably as he died overnight in Peru so it would have been announced mid-morning Peru time.

Mark Radcliffe is a big fan of Marquee Moon (the album) but I struggle with it, like I do with Astral Weeks, both of which were always in the Top 10 of all-time NME LP polls.

Comment

Originally posted by Satchmo Distel View Post
          I heard about Peel when it was announced by Simon Mayo on the radio (not sure if it was Radio 1 or Radio 2), so it must have been announced mid-afternoon, presumably as he died overnight in Peru so it would have been announced mid-morning Peru time.
          Oddly, I can't remember hearing about Peel dying and, if I were asked beforehand, would have said it was first thing in the morning as he died overnight.
          Mark Radcliffe is a big fan of Marquee Moon (the album) but I struggle with it, like I do with Astral Weeks, both of which were always in the Top 10 of all-time NME LP polls.
          Yes, I remember that. I have now heard it a lot as my wife likes Van Morrison. It's good but not that good. As far as Television are concerned, I can't remember ever hearing a note which is odd as they are so closely connected to so much of my favourite music. Same with Magazine but I have, at least, heard "Shot By Both Sides" (or, at least, a cover version of).

Comment

John Peel dies suddenly. How most of us heard...

Comment

Originally posted by Bordeaux Education View Post
              Oddly, I can't remember hearing about Peel dying and, if I were asked beforehand, would have said it was first thing in the morning as he died overnight.

Yes, I remember that. I have now heard it a lot as my wife likes Van Morrison. It's good but not that good. As far as Television are concerned, I can't remember ever hearing a note which is odd as they are so closely connected to so much of my favourite music. Same with Magazine but I have, at least, heard "Shot By Both Sides" (or, at least, a cover version of).
              You must *surely* have heard Marquee Moon, no?

I was returning from the local laundrette (dead washing machine) when my best friend called to inform me of Peel's passing. (However, it wasn't forty years ago, so perhaps doesn't belong here...)

It was Marc Bolan's death (forty years ago next month) and the Skynyrd air crash in October 1977 that prompted first thoughts of writing a book on the subject. However, given that I was just a teenager, it took another quarter-century or so for the project to gain traction.

Comment

Originally posted by Gangster Octopus View Post
                John Peel dies suddenly. How most of us heard...
                Is time playing tricks on my memory or does the search function on the archived version of OldTF work much better than it did at the time?

Comment

It's still the same.

Comment

Ah, I was having a poke about after following the Peel link and it seemed to be throwing up a reasonable selection of results without having to do the search via Google. I may be confusing one version of the board with another.

Comment

His passing is still unbearably sad.

Comment

Originally posted by Jah Womble View Post
                        You must *surely* have heard Marquee Moon, no?
                        Not knowingly but I will check it out in a mo and report back.

It was Marc Bolan's death (forty years ago next month) and the Skynyrd air crash in October 1977 that prompted first thoughts of writing a book on the subject. However, given that I was just a teenager, it took another quarter-century or so for the project to gain traction.
                        About 4 or 5 years later, we moved to a flat around the corner from where Bolan crashed. We used to have fans there twice a year on his birthday and his anniversary. When I first met my wife, I would her up by saying that we had done that and my name is spelt the same as my Mum was such a big Bolan fan. I completely forgot about that until my wife first met my mum and was talking to her and realised I had not corrected my lie. I had visions of her trying to impress her future mother-in-law (a fan of Elvis and Neil Diamond) by asking "What's your favourite track on "Tanx?Electric Slim and the Factory Hen" or "Left Hand Luke and the Beggar Boys?"

Comment

John Peel would be 78 this month, were he still alive. That just doesn't compute, somehow.

Comment

Doncaster Outlook, 40 years ago today: Sex Pistols as The Tax Exiles.

Comment

Simon Armitage has written about the Pistols' last ever UK gig, which took place in Huddersfield at Xmas.

But sticking to the timeline, on 26.8.77, Elvis Costello was performing in Scarborough, moving to Dudley the following night. The Attractions had been on board since July 14th, starting in Cornwall:

http://www.elviscostello.info/wiki/i...igography_1977

Comment

Originally posted by Satchmo Distel View Post
                                Simon Armitage has written about the Pistols' last ever UK gig, which took place in Huddersfield at Xmas.
                                I was going to come to that nearer the time...

Comment

"Last ever gig" – is that ignoring the Filthy Lucre tour?

Comment

Yes, in the sense that the latter is a group of individuals pretending to still be a band.

Comment

Filthy Lucre may have been many things, but it was - at least - the proper line-up...

Comment

I was MCing a gig on the night of Peels death. It kind of hung over the entire gig, so to get the room warmed up for comedy I told the audience that a minutes silence wouldn't really be a thing, but got them all to do a minutes whooping, clapping and weird noises.

When it died down, I told them off for doing it at the wrong speed... "but then, I suppose that's what he would have wanted".

Comment

That's brilliant, Snake. Did you ad lib that last bit or was the whole thing scripted in your head in advance?

Comment

I came up with it on the way to the gig. I can't improvise like Eddie Izzard... pretends to do.

Comment

Great footage of the Damned, Sex Pistol and Johnny Thunders looking, in so many ways, like ordinary bands now but you know what impression they would have made back then

Comment

I'm currently watching the Morecambe And Wise Christmas Special that I last watched forty years ago today at the very time that I should've been in Huddersfield to see the Sex Pistols. I had tickets but no way of getting there. Sniff...

Comment

Working...
                                                X