Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

40 years ago today

McLaren got the band to play.

The Sex Pistols played St Martins College, supporting Bazooka Joe, whose members included Stuart Goddard (later Adam Ant).

I'm off to CSM later for a celebration and screening of a film.

40 years seems incredible.

http://www.paulgormanis.com/?p=16231

40 years ago today

I pointed out on the gigs thread that the next couple of years are going to be something of a nostalgia fest...

Comment

40 years ago today

I remember all the 30/35 year stuff. It's way more popular and fashionable than it was bitd.

Comment

40 years ago today

Its mind bending to even attempt considering an alternative musical universe that would roll along without the Sex Pistols.

Comment

40 years ago today

Dads Rock now & likely bought for & by the same lads who were chasing & punching you at the time.

Comment

40 years ago today

Yep, I know there will be loads there tonight who wouldn't have spat on us then, or until it got cool.

Comment

40 years ago today

Excuse me, the Gratuitous Insertion of Adam Ant Into A Music Thread alarm is ringing and I must go and attend to it.

Comment

40 years ago today

Remarkable moment, but I'd venture that the 'main' fortieth anniversaries will be next year - to mark the release of Anarchy - and 2017 - to mark God Save the Queen/alternative jubilee, etc.

Comment

40 years ago today

dalliance wrote: Excuse me, the Gratuitous Insertion of Adam Ant Into A Music Thread alarm is ringing and I must go and attend to it.
                  How is it gratuitous? His band were the main act that night. After seeing the Pistols, he changed direction. The punk Ants were an important and influential band, whether you know it or not.

Comment

40 years ago today

Jah Womble wrote: Remarkable moment, but I'd venture that the 'main' fortieth anniversaries will be next year - to mark the release of Anarchy - and 2017 - to mark God Save the Queen/alternative jubilee, etc.
                    Yes, as with the 30th, when there was anniversary after anniversary ...

Comment

40 years ago today

If it wasn't for Malcolm Mclaren, we'd never have this.

Comment

40 years ago today

Jesus Crust.
                        Look at their big Spitting Image rubber faces.

Pack it in, grandpa.
                        No one gives a shit anymore.

Comment

40 years ago today

And here's a Bravo poster from 1976 of our lads, with Glen Matlock providing the template for the Sid Vicious pout and Steve Jones doing all he can to appeal to future mother-in-laws.

Johnny Rotten was interviewed a couple of times in Bravo in 1976 and '77. He was very sincere, considering he was speaking to a magazine whose scene was more the Bay City Rollers, Sailor and Boney M. He slagged off these kinds of acts and others, but he seemed to ber very cooperative.

But then, the Clash played in September 1977 on the bill of a Bravo Disco, a multi-artist concert which often featured an English-language acts or two and a bunch of Schlager people. And the Clash weren't even headliners, but second banana to a group called Rosetta Stone, featuring one-time Bay City Roller Ian Mitchell and from the stable of BCR manager Tam Paton.

So if Bravo was punk enough for Lydon and Strummer, who am I to argue?

Comment

40 years ago today

Christ, Rosetta Stone. Their name was painted on a bridge over the M1 for years.

Comment

40 years ago today

Calvert wrote: Jesus Crust.
                              Look at their big Spitting Image rubber faces.

Pack it in, grandpa.
                              No one gives a shit anymore.
                              What the....that's not the New York Dolls, is it?

Anyway, the Sex Pistols. Sometimes in danger of falling into the "Ace of Spades" syndrome but not because, a, a lot of the good stuff isn't heard on radio and ,b, the good stuff is really really good. "Submission" oddly is one of my favourite tracks now. I know there was a bit of sneering about them being a heavy rock band with a punk singer but I don't see there is anything wrong with that. The tuneless anti-music of Crass and their ilk did nothing for me and I always preferred the punk bands that could actually play and write songs like the Pistols, the Damned etc.

I know that, with "Belsen is a gas" and "Bodies", there were some questionable lyrics but, in a way, they add to the spiteful energy of those tracks. Never saw them live originally, of course, but the sheer thrill even of the pantomime of the first Finsbury Park gig almost made up for that.

Obviously, they are cartoons now. I mean, that Professionals reunion without even Jones was ludicrous. Lydon is making money being a parody of himself. However, getting into them later when the awful "Rock and Roll Swindle" was just coming out means that I don't feel, ahem, cheated by what they have become since. In essence without the residual investment in their ethic, they were to me a great rock band like AC/DC or Motorhead and, as such, haven't lost their attraction. Well, the music hasn't anyway.

Might go and have a good old listen to the album again.

Comment

40 years ago today

Funnily enough, "Holidays in the Sun" just struck up on the Kennedys amongst a load of other 70s music and sounded fantastic. Mind you, "Peaches" sounded great as well.

Comment

40 years ago today

Stumpy Pepys wrote: If it wasn't for Malcolm Mclaren, we'd never have this.

Angels with Wrinkly Faces

Comment

40 years ago today

Cal Alamein wrote: Angels with Wrinkly Faces
                                    Hurry Up Hoary

Comment

40 years ago today

Stumpy Pepys wrote:
                                      Originally posted by Cal Alamein
                                      Hurry Up Hoary
                                      If The Wretched Are United

Comment

40 years ago today

Nothing about Sham.

Some interesting film and a bit of a chat, with Pilchard representing the Pistols.

As always, I find these things a little bit interesting and annoying at the same time. And we were treated to news of a major new project launching next year for the 40 years of punk. It is all a bit Punk Inc. Part of me wishes I could moneteise MY punk cultural capital, the bigger part wants to stick two fingers up at the corporateness of it all, the way it's been co-opted into the mainstream and had the life sucked out of it.

Comment

40 years ago today

all that shit doesn't really matter if the music still stands up, it's just time passing

Comment

40 years ago today

The music is brilliant, but it was about so much more.

Comment

40 years ago today

If that so much more is not easily tangible by those who didn't experience it, it's bound to be co-opted, diluted, even used by those who the so much more was reacting against.

Comment

40 years ago today

Well, yeah.

Comment

40 years ago today

Cal Alamein wrote:
                                                  Originally posted by Stumpy Pepys
                                                  If it wasn't for Malcolm Mclaren, we'd never have this.

Ah, Sham 69. How the fuck can Pursey afford plastic surgery - however bad.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X