Redundant adjectives

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Redundant adjectives

"Unexploded bomb". As in "unexploded WWII bomb found in Manchester", according to local headlines today.

Well it would be unexploded, wouldn't it? If it had exploded, it would have been a lot easier to find, but would no longer really be a bomb anymore, would it?

Redundant adjectives

It differentiates between a bomb that is meant to blow up right now vs a bomb that has basically been sat there for 50 years doing nothing it was meant to.

Comment

Redundant adjectives

Of all the bombs that were dropped in WW2,I wonder what was the rough percentage that didnt explode..?

Comment

Redundant adjectives

Up to 15% of bombs dropped on Berlin, according to quick a Google search (and resulting Vice article). Difficult to be remotely accurate I'd guess, as the people counting the unexploded ones are different to the ones who decided how many to drop.

Comment

Redundant adjectives

Quite..
          And you would also have to factor in that some dropped bombs wouldnt have exploded but only do so after being set off by others.

Comment

Redundant adjectives

It's a compound, but "pan-fried". I know some things are deep-fried, or perhaps fried in a hairnet, but "fried" already means "pan-fried" (unless in relation to drug-frazzled mental states). Fuck "pan-fried" and its talking up the simplest way of cooking summat. And its making every entry in a menu three lines long. And its making me throw a bearded cyclist through a Hackney eaterie window and getting done for "disturbing the peace". Disturbing the smugtitude, more like. Your honour.

Comment

Redundant adjectives

Don't get me started on "designer". Virtually everything is designed by someone, somewhere, so up yours if you think one "designer" deserves the label any more than another.

Similar to "hand-made" when applied to any product that can't be made wholly by machines. Even worse when applied to products that clearly HAVE been at least part-made by machines, like pottery. Let's see you "hand-make" that from a lump of clay without a potter's wheel or a kiln, you self-proclaimed artisan cunt.

Comment

Redundant adjectives

Hand-cooked may not be entirely redundant, but certainly seems to be wrongly used a lot. I don't believe any product at a major supermarket chain can be 'hand-cooked' in the spirit of how that phrase is usually meant.

Comment

Redundant adjectives

Warm hands.

Comment

Redundant adjectives

Lucia Lanigan wrote: It's a compound, but "pan-fried". I know some things are deep-fried, or perhaps fried in a hairnet, but "fried" already means "pan-fried" (unless in relation to drug-frazzled mental states). Fuck "pan-fried" and its talking up the simplest way of cooking summat. And its making every entry in a menu three lines long. And its making me throw a bearded cyclist through a Hackney eatery window and getting done for "disturbing the peace". Disturbing the smugtitude, more like. Your honour.
                    What about deep-frying, stir-frying or shallow-frying? They're all different techniques.

Comment

Redundant adjectives

Shallow frying is just frying - it happens in a frying pan.

Stir frying implies that something's been chopped small and stirred around with other stuff - it's a particular exception so needs specifying.

Deep-frying is another particular exception, so worth stating when it's what's happening.

The default expectation of "fried" is that something's been fried in a pan. No need to tell us that, no need at all.

Comment

Redundant adjectives

Also, what are chips fried in at home? A pan, that's what. The TMI we're being fed like battery chickens these days is creating neurotic expectation: you could easily be gripped with fear at not knowing what something's been fried in now the "pan-" has been thrown into the arena.

Next time I'm in one of these places I'm going to ask what sort of pan their pan-fried wares were fried in. And they'll have to tell me it was a frying pan. And I'll point out that it should say "Frying-pan-fried". And they'll just carry on, and perhaps wank into my eggs.

Comment

Redundant adjectives

Lucia Lanigan wrote: Shallow frying is just frying - it happens in a frying pan.

Stir frying implies that something's been chopped small and stirred around with other stuff - it's a particular exception so needs specifying.

Deep-frying is another particular exception, so worth stating when it's what's happening.

The default expectation of "fried" is that something's been fried in a pan. No need to tell us that, no need at all.
                          The heat comes from the pan, not the oil. So it's pan-fried.

I dunno why I'm arguing this. I neither care nor really disagree with you.

Comment

Redundant adjectives

So put "Frying-pan-fried in some oil, like you already guessed" on the menu, then. That would be quite good.

Comment

Redundant adjectives

There's a science to menu writing. A formula, almost. I can't really remember it, but there are certain rules you have to stick to. It's all very silly.

Comment

Redundant adjectives

Similar to "pan fried" I also get bothered by "oven roasted". Unless you specifically say otherwise, I think everyone assumes that "roasted" means "oven roasted".

Comment

Redundant adjectives

It could be worse Lucia: 'artisan' crisps/chips, for instance, are invariably made from "hand-selected" potatoes – as opposed to what: mouth-selected? Foot-selected? Dog-selected? Then they're "lovingly kettle-fried in batches" or something. Since it seems to produce such a good result I tried kettle-frying some bacon and eggs at home once, with devastating results, and which completely invalidated the warranty according to those spoilsports at Morphy Richards.

Comment

Redundant adjectives

I read an article months ago about tips and tricks in menu writing (living on the edge, me) and just went looking for it. Can't find it but did find this: apparently someone's researched into how to present prices.

http://scholarship.sha.cornell.edu/chrpubs/169/

Comment

Redundant adjectives

Might've been this one:

http://mobile.nytimes.com/2009/12/23/dining/23menus.html?referer=

Comment

Redundant adjectives

"pan-fried" is shit, that is fact.

Comment

Redundant adjectives

Rogin the Armchair Fan wrote: Don't get me started on "designer". Virtually everything is designed by someone, somewhere, so up yours if you think one "designer" deserves the label any more than another.
                                          It's not an adjective, though. You might want to change your thread title to 'redundant qualifiers' if you're going to be so lax.

Comment

Redundant adjectives

Oh, it's used as an adjective, now, though isn't it? "Designer handbag". "Designer toaster". "Designer kitchen"?

Comment

Redundant adjectives

International Velvet Human wrote: It could be worse Lucia: 'artisan' crisps/chips, for instance, are invariably made from "hand-selected" potatoes – as opposed to what: mouth-selected? Foot-selected? Dog-selected? Then they're "lovingly kettle-fried in batches" or something. Since it seems to produce such a good result I tried kettle-frying some bacon and eggs at home once, with devastating results, and which completely invalidated the warranty according to those spoilsports at Morphy Richards.
                                              I hear you, brother. What the hell business has a kettle got frying anything anyway? I bet it's something Victorian (accurate - that's what they call it) Americans used to make "chips". That doesn't make something better, just older. It's still just a salt and fat delivery system, pretty close to what the good people at Walkers use.

And all this "artisan" shit. Is that supposed to be good? Cobblers. Artisanal cobblers using pulled leather and zinc-tipped nails, or something.

Comment

Redundant adjectives

Kettle Chips

Neither Kettle nor Chips from a UK perspective.

Not Kettle from a US perspective, either.

Comment

Redundant adjectives

Christ. It's "old" though innit. Artisanal and authentic and shit.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X