X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Outdated references you still hear used

Jah Womble wrote:
    Originally posted by meregreen
    Younger friends mock me whenever I say I've taped something off TV.
    I'm not surprised - most of us have been saying 'recorded' (by whichever means) for at least 25 years.
    We still watch things we've 'taped' on the Sky Box. Even the little Anoraks ask if we've got stuff on tape.

Comment

"Put the kettle on"

Comment

Anorak Smith wrote: "Put the kettle on"
        Then again, I have a cordless kettle, with a base charger. So I'm still putting it 'on'.

Comment

Actually, thinking about that, the 'on' obviously refers to putting the kettle on the stove. That wasn't what I was getting at though, we don't have a kettle in our house, or a stove to put it on.

Comment

ursus arctos wrote: old-timers
            surely no-one uses old-timer any more...

Comment

Gangster Octopus wrote: surely no-one uses old-timer any more...
              The Germans do, oddly. But it's used to describe a classic or vintage car.

Comment

Stumpy Pepys wrote: The Germans do, oddly. But it's used to describe a classic or vintage car.
                Which confused me when I moved here, as there was a sign on my street advertising an 'Oldtimer Rally'.

I was imagining they'd rounded up a load of old men.

Comment

That would be the Gero D'Italia...

Comment

Would these be used today:

1) non-racist use of "white nigger" as in Oliver's Army

2) Friend of Dorothy

3) "Colored gentleman", used without knowing its offensiveness

4) Iron/iron hoof (Minder); pooftah, as frequently used on It Ain't Half Hot Mum

Comment

Anorak Smith wrote: "Put the kettle on"
                      Still works, not outdated. No ones going to give you a queer look if you say it. People still put the kettle on, as in, turn it on.

Comment

Satchmo, I think you need a thread called 'Outdated references thankfully long forgotten'

Comment

Satchmo Distel wrote:
                          2) Friend of Dorothy
                          I was asked if I was "a friend of Dorothy" by a senior presenter on my first day at the BBC.

Comment

Luke R wrote:
                            Originally posted by Anorak Smith
                            "Put the kettle on"
                            Still works, not outdated. No ones going to give you a queer look if you say it. People still put the kettle on, as in, turn it on.
                            It's the use of the verb 'put', rather than 'turn'. It suggests it's being put on something, i.e. a stove.

However, I was being a bit smug really, as it's not a reference you'll hear in our house. Instant boiling water from a tap, it's the future, rendering 'put the kettle on' outdated.

Comment

There was a Cafe called A Friend Of Dorothy up Old Market way not so long back.

Comment

Giggler wrote:
                                Originally posted by Satchmo Distel
                                2) Friend of Dorothy
                                I was asked if I was "a friend of Dorothy" by a senior presenter on my first day at the BBC.
                                I've never heard this before ever, and it's only just dawned on me what it's alluding too. What's the history behind it, who is Dorothy? I daren't google it from the office.

Comment

Anorak Smith wrote:
                                  Originally posted by Luke R
                                  "Put the kettle on"
                                  It's the use of the verb 'put', rather than 'turn'. It suggests it's being put on something, i.e. a stove.

However, I was being a bit smug really, as it's not a reference you'll hear in our house. Instant boiling water from a tap, it's the future, rendering 'put the kettle on' outdated.
                                  Instant boiling water from a tap?

I think the term will stick anyway, it's homesy shorthand gives people a warm feeling. It's one of the many small things that probably makes the British, British. The vast majority of houses still have electric kettles. The term will even be used for those hot water machines that just do a cup at a time.

Comment

Luke R wrote:
                                    Originally posted by Luke R
                                    "Put the kettle on"

Instant boiling water from a tap?

I think the term will stick anyway, it's homesy shorthand gives people a warm feeling. It's one of the many small things that probably makes the British, British. The vast majority of houses still have electric kettles. The term will even be used for those hot water machines that just do a cup at a time.
                                    From a tap, www.quooker.co.uk... other brands are available.

Comment

@Anorak

Quite expensive though. You can pick up a kettle in most kettle-selling places for a fiver or less.

Comment

Friends of Dorothy is from the Wizard of Oz.

FOD as it's often abbreviated.

Comment

Luke, we got ours when we had a new kitchen so it was 'lost' in the overall cost. I agree though, I can't imagine many people thinking 'the kettle's broke, let's replace it with a boiling water tap', and you've got to add fitting to those prices as well, I would guess.

Comment

Most UK football commentators still believe that fans get the scores from other important matches on the last day of the season from the 'wireless', or, in the case of John Motson, a 'Transistor Radio'. But never a tranny, thank goodness.

Comment

Much to my delight in Switzerland recently, there was a very modern WC, in a restaurant, with an actual chain to pull to flush - So I "remembered to pull the chain" an instruction that confuses our kids.

Comment

MsD wrote: Friends of Dorothy is from the Wizard of Oz.

FOD as it's often abbreviated.
                                                To explain further, Dorothy being played by Judy Garland, who was an icon for gay men in mid 20th century America

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Judy_Garland_as_gay_icon

Comment

Even the expression 'WC' ('water closet') itself must be 150-200 years old by now.

A few of the production houses at which I've worked have had this 'constant boiling water' system - which is both useful, time-saving and also stops folk on the skive. I'd miss the gentle, reassuring gurgle of my kettle, however. The sound hot water makes in its varying cycles is a great source of pleasure and comfort in my life.

Comment

Anorak Smith wrote: Actually, thinking about that, the 'on' obviously refers to putting the kettle on the stove. That wasn't what I was getting at though, we don't have a kettle in our house, or a stove to put it on.
                                                    How do you "have a brew" then.....?

Yes,yes I know the question has already been answered...but,oh never mind..

Comment

Working...
                                                    X