Outdated references you still hear used

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Amor de Cosmos wrote: Well, most symbols and icons have to refer to real world analogues by definition, don't they?

[pedantry] An icon does but a symbol doesn't. For instance a Red Cross indicates care for the sick and wounded but the symbol wouldn't tell you that, you have to know through association.[/pedantry]
    Surely a Red Cross indicates the presence of the Red Cross?

Comment

Irish Catholicism is just different, I guess.

The continued existence of very wealthy Rockefellers was essential to the success of this famous scam.

Often posing as the scion of a famous family, Christopher Rocancourt—alias Rockefeller (or De Laurentiis or de la Renta)—swindled millions from marks around the world: there was the diamond-smuggling scheme in Zaire, the alleged perfume fraud involving Jermaine Jackson, the fleecing of a Beverly Hills boutique owner. Yet somehow he kept slipping through the arms of the law. The author tracks a master of audacity from Los Angeles, where Rocancourt left a mysterious corpse in his wake, to the Hamptons, where he ran afoul of a genuine heir, to France, where his poignant masquerade began.
      New Yorkese is full of these

"what am I, chopped liver??" harkens to a time when chopped liver was the cheapest form of meat one could possibly buy. It is now relatively rare, outside of old school delis, unless one considers Pâté, which is anything but cheap.

"drop a dime" i.e., inform on someone/something to the police. Requires knowledge that a) there were these things called pay phones, and b) that they used to cost 10 cents.

Spaldeen a pink rubber ball, and the classic ball used for both stickball and stoopball, which was made by the Spalding sporting goods company. The local mispronunciation became so ubiquitous that they trademarked it.

You can also still find old-timers who refer to a refrigerator as an "icebox", as these were common into the 30s, and can still be found in row houses and apartments that have studiously avoided renovation.

Comment

Guy Potger wrote:
        Originally posted by Amor de Cosmos
        Well, most symbols and icons have to refer to real world analogues by definition, don't they?

[pedantry] An icon does but a symbol doesn't. For instance a Red Cross indicates care for the sick and wounded but the symbol wouldn't tell you that, you have to know through association.[/pedantry]
        Surely a Red Cross indicates the presence of the Red Cross?
        Yes but it doesn't tell you what the Red Cross means. It's an abstraction. An icon is a representation of what something is, or does, based, as SP said, on a real world analogue.

Comment

See also red crescents, green crosses, white flags, etc.

Comment

Calvert wrote: "In like Flynn"
            Hi.

Comment

Jah Womble wrote:
              Originally posted by meregreen
              Younger friends mock me whenever I say I've taped something off TV.
              I'm not surprised - most of us have been saying 'recorded' (by whichever means) for at least 25 years.

Obviously, folk still tend to say 'album', even when speaking of a downloaded collection. This is mainly because we haven't thought of anything more suitable - but also because most people accept that the physical artifact is (was?) far better.
              "Album" seems future-proofed to me. I don't know where it originates, but photo albums - collections of discreet items to be consumed or flicked through together - can be digital or analogue, as can collections of tracks.

"LP"/"long player" is more tied to analogue formats, I think. A long-player audio file could just mean a long track.

Comment

Dial a telephone number

Comment

Our mam's been known to say, "what's that, chopped liver?" and she's only been to old York, ursus.

Isn't 'spalpeen' some kind of archaic Irish insult?

Comment

"The wireless" for radio, which is now more likely to mean WiFi.

Comment

san2sboro wrote: Our mam's been known to say, "what's that, chopped liver?" and she's only been to old York, ursus.

Isn't 'spalpeen' some kind of archaic Irish insult?
                      A spailpín is a type of hard labourer.

Comment

I'll put in my ha'penn'orth.

Comment

Fiats being unreliable. Read the fucking reviews, people - from the last ten years, not from 1983!

Comment

Bored of Education wrote: I'll put in my ha'penn'orth.
                            I use "tuppence," myself, which may be still occasionally be used as slang for a woman's genitalia, I think.

Comment

evilC wrote: Fiats being unreliable. Read the fucking reviews, people - from the last ten years, not from 1983!
                              Sensitive Fiat Driver Alert!

Comment

Even my dear clients in Torino found Fix It Again Tony to be hilarious.

Comment

My Name Is Ian wrote:
                                  Originally posted by Bored of Education
                                  I'll put in my ha'penn'orth.
                                  I use "tuppence," myself, which may be still occasionally be used as slang for a woman's genitalia, I think.
                                  "Spending a penny"

Comment

You still hear references in sports commentaries to players and athletes having been 'through the wringer'. I wonder what proportion of people hearing it know where it comes from.

Comment

Bored of Education wrote: Sterling Moss is still the benchmark for fast drivers, isn't he?
                                      Down my way it's Fangio.

Stumpy Pepys wrote:
                                      Originally posted by Guy Potger
                                      Isn't the classic for this the floppy disc symbol for "save"?
                                      That's dying out. Most tablet and online apps autosave nowadays.
                                      I've got Microsoft Office 2016 on my laptop, and the Save icon is indeed a floppy disk.

Comment

san2sboro wrote: Isn't 'spalpeen' some kind of archaic Irish insult?
                                        Do you mean "Gombeen"?

Comment

Sam wrote: I've got Microsoft Office 2016 on my laptop, and the Save icon is indeed a floppy disk.
                                          I said dying, not dead.

If you look at the online version of MS Word, as well as Google Docs, there are no Save icons (or Save functions for that matter). I don't think there are on their phone-tablet incarnations either. That's the direction software's heading.

Comment

I'm sure a comic (book) character of my youth used to use 'spalpeen', spalpin probably fits.

Comment

"Dim as a Toc-H lamp"

Comment

Stumpy Pepys wrote:
                                                Originally posted by Sam
                                                I've got Microsoft Office 2016 on my laptop, and the Save icon is indeed a floppy disk.
                                                I said dying, not dead.

If you look at the online version of MS Word, as well as Google Docs, there are no Save icons (or Save functions for that matter). I don't think there are on their phone-tablet incarnations either. That's the direction software's heading.
                                                WON'T SOMEBODY PLEASE THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!

Comment

Bored of Education wrote: I'll put in my ha'penn'orth.
                                                  A tuppenny-ha'penny opinion if ever I heard one.

Comment

evilC wrote: Fiats being unreliable. Read the fucking reviews, people - from the last ten years, not from 1983!
                                                    And the same goes for Alfa Romeo.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X