Outdated references you still hear used

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My mam will still call anyone who has a bit of money Aristotle Onassis, even though he's been dead for 40 years.

I'm not going on about those ones everyone uses that are now set in stone by the way...

'A taxi? Who dja think I am, Rockefeller?'

There's probably still some rich Rockefellers, I suppose.

Comment

"Is it bigger than a breadbox?"

Comment

Sterling Moss is still the benchmark for fast drivers, isn't he?

Comment

"In like Flynn"

Comment

"I'd eat a nun's arse through a gate"

I can't remember the last time I saw a nun.

Comment

Isn't the classic for this the floppy disc symbol for "save"?

Comment

Guy Potger wrote: Isn't the classic for this the floppy disc symbol for "save"?
                That's dying out. Most tablet and online apps autosave nowadays.

Comment

Younger friends mock me whenever I say I've taped something off TV.

Comment

Football commentators referring to a 'telegraphed' pass.

Comment

Green Calx wrote: "I'd eat a nun's arse through a gate"

I can't remember the last time I saw a nun.
                      Hold on, when and where has that ever been a reference?

Comment

A phrase only known to Green Calx, but sadly in decline as - strangely - he doesn't see nuns very often now.

Comment

It exists all right. I haven't got the kind of imagination to make something like that up.

Comment

Geoff Duke for a fast driver

Comment

Green Calx wrote: It exists all right. I haven't got the kind of imagination to make something like that up.
                              I wasn't trying to imply it took any imagination.

Comment

Stumpy Pepys wrote: Football commentators referring to a 'telegraphed' pass.
                                Or a 'slide rule' pass. who knows what a slide rule is these days let alone how to use one*?

*I do.

Comment

I am Gangster Octopus and I claim my five pounds

Have we done the same thing for symbols? Everything is a dull rectangle nowadays, so instead your icons come from the museum of TVs with aerials, phones with two big ends, choo-choo trains, etc ...

Comment

Well, most symbols and icons have to refer to real world analogues by definition, don't they?

Search functions are nearly always magnifying glasses. Save could be a hard disk, but a floppy disk is more distinctive as a symbol than a hard drive.

Comment

The only alternative, by the way, is something completely abstract. The VLC Player traffic cone for example (although I suspect the programmer was a Kraftwerk fan).

Comment

meregreen wrote: Younger friends mock me whenever I say I've taped something off TV.
                                        I'm not surprised - most of us have been saying 'recorded' (by whichever means) for at least 25 years.

Obviously, folk still tend to say 'album', even when speaking of a downloaded collection. This is mainly because we haven't thought of anything more suitable - but also because most people accept that the physical artifact is (was?) far better.

Comment

And my home page has a chimney. It's like the nerds live in Enid Blyton Land.

Comment

Jah Womble wrote: Obviously, folk still tend to say 'album', even when speaking of a downloaded collection.
                                            Then again, didn't an album refer to a time when one would, for example, buy a symphony pressed onto 78s. As there would be multiple discs, they were sold in a book-like affair that physically was an album.

I guess the description 'album' was technically out-of-date when the 331/3 rpm long-player arrived..

Comment

Comment

Could be - I wasn't aware of that, though I'm sure it's true. (Edit: As your photo doth prove.)

Perhaps they should be called 'anthologies'? (Personally, I'm not long out of the habit of saying 'LP'...)

Comment

Well, most symbols and icons have to refer to real world analogues by definition, don't they?

[pedantry] An icon does but a symbol doesn't. For instance a Red Cross indicates care for the sick and wounded but the symbol wouldn't tell you that, you have to know through association.[/pedantry]

Comment

Working...
                                                  X