Old arcade football games

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just been reading about Tomy Super Six on Harry Pearson's blog.
    It reminded me of an arcade game from my youth, shortly after the invention of electricity made such things possible. The game was similar to TSS, but eleven a side. The players were in the colours of England and West Germany in '66, so I guess the game was from the late sixties. The players 'stood' on one leg with the other extended to the side in the style made famous by Dick Emery, and were moved up and down the pitch with a series of levers at each end. To 'kick' the ball you did something I can't remember- maybe pressed a button?- and the player pivoted on his standing foot. I think you moved the goalkeeper from side to side on a rotating handle. When a goal was scored the ball was fired back into play from the side at half way, and the whole thing was encased in a glass topped cabinet. I can't find any reference to this game anywhere- does anyone else remember it, or know what it was called?

This one?

I was a Casdon Soccer man myself.

Comment

Ah, sorry I misunderstood. You were referring to arcade games.

Comment

1974ddr wrote: Just been reading about Six on Harry Pearson's blog.
        It reminded me of an arcade game from my youth, shortly after the invention of electricity made such things possible. The game was similar to TSS, but eleven a side. The players were in the colours of England and West Germany in '66, so I guess the game was from the late sixties. The players 'stood' on one leg with the other extended to the side in the style made famous by Dick Emery, and were moved up and down the pitch with a series of levers at each end. To 'kick' the ball you did something I can't remember- maybe pressed a button?- and the player pivoted on his standing foot. I think you moved the goalkeeper from side to side on a rotating handle. When a goal was scored the ball was fired back into play from the side at half way, and the whole thing was encased in a glass topped cabinet. I can't find any reference to this game anywhere- does anyone else remember it, or know what it was called?
        Yes.

But by enduring memory is of the red v blue "basketball" game where the ball would fall into little depressions and then be pushed in by jets if air

Comment

1974ddr wrote: Just been reading about Six on Harry Pearson's blog.
          Yes.

But by enduring memory is of the red v blue "basketball" game where the ball would fall into little depressions and then be pushed in by jets if air

Comment

Used to love this coin-op as a nipper.

https://[video=youtube_share;YSQ7DxU...?v=YSQ7DxUJJis[/video]

Comment

There was another one which I think was a bit later. The players were all built like gazelles, and you got cut aways of the managers doing all emotional things.

Edit - Trois Fois Un Rouge has found it.

Comment

Deleted.

Comment

Guy Potger wrote:
                  Originally posted by 1974ddr
                  Just been reading about Six on Harry Pearson's blog.
                  Yes.

Enjoyed both those games. I can remember drunkenly playing the former in Brighton, at the old pier arcade. The basketball game is an indelible memory from childhood - you barely had any time to get a game going, IIRC.

Comment

The pub in the village where I grew up had Euro League in the games room, where they would let us under-agers in until 8pm to play pool, drink overpriced, watery coke and pump money into that machine.

I got to be really good at it, to the point where I could beat it three times in a row on one credit, without breaking sweat. Which must have been annoying for the other people waiting for a go, but hey ho.

Comment

Toby Gymshorts wrote: The pub in the village where I grew up had Euro League in the games room, where they would let us under-agers in until 8pm to play pool, drink overpriced, watery coke and pump money into that machine.

I got to be really good at it, to the point where I could beat it three times in a row on one credit, without breaking sweat. Which must have been annoying for the other people waiting for a go, but hey ho.
                      It looks like it must have been possible for the operator to set the match length, as that video only has a 1 minute game. I'm sure I remember 3 minutes being usual, and I have a feeling that I once came across one machine that played 5 minute matches.

Those continental sides seemed so exotic back then. It was Barcelona for me, every time.

The guy who made the video has clearly found a sweet spot for scoring. Shoot straight at goal when standing on the point where the D touches the 18 yard line.

Comment

3 minutes, IIRC.

Comment

Oh, you have to watch the final in that video. Remarkable match, all in one minute.

Starts here.

Comment

Yep, I found that exact same sweet spot myself. Except....the further you got (from the semis onwards, I think) that stopped working. You actually had to play a bit, although diagonal balls down the wing and into the box always resulted in a headed goal (or an overhead, if you were lucky).

Comment

Our mate was telling us on coach on Saturday how when he was 9 he shit himself on holiday in France because he got to the final of Virtua Striker and didn't want to leave it to go to the toilet.

Comment

Totally understandable. Virtua Striker was nails.

Comment

Always had a fondness for Taito's Football Champ:
                                  https://[video=youtube_share;xh3b354...?v=xh3b354YFdQ[/video]

Then they made a sequel in 3D, completely fucked it up and had the temerity to prefix it with "Super"!

These kind of threads remind me why MAME might just be mankind's greatest invention.

Comment

That's the other one I was looking for, with the excitable managers - nice work!

Comment

Watch the referee:

Comment

Guy Potger wrote:
                                        Yes.

Yes I remember that one too, they had it in the same arcade when I was a kid, up the road from my grandmother's caravan in Wales. It was a bit random as I recall, and you only got a very short amount of game time for your tanner (or whatever).

Lots of memories of 'video' games above- thanks to our younger viewers- but the one I have in mind was mechanical 'live action', as computers in those days required a largish sized building to house them. Call me a Luddite, but I'd love to see this game again. If only I could even remember what it was called!

Comment

Further research- this is very similar, but not (I think) identical- certainly the teams were West Germany and England (in red).

Comment

I was just about to post that.

The version pictured is American (Bally were headquartered in Chicago), and it wouldn't surprise me at all if the UK versions had the teams re-painted.

Decent video of a US model.

Comment

They basically did every version possible of the long-slot / goal game right? Though the hockey one was always in a dome.

Comment

The arcade version of the hockey one had to be in a dome because it was quite easy for the puck to fly over the boards.

That wasn't needed for the home versions, though

Comment

Working...
                                                X