Best crossword clue?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best crossword clue?

Apologies to those in the 'Friday crossword' thread, but the Viz setter has a gem this month: 'Distinguished baritone - I fucked his arse madly'(7-7).

It got me thinking about how one goes about setting a clue like that. I know there is software for compilers - I used to use it myself - but how does this one come about? Does the setter come up with the answer, then create the clue, then build the grid around that? Or build a grid first (but that would be insane for an answer like this, wouldn't it?). Whatever, it kept me awake last night.

Best crossword clue?

Grid->answers->clues is the general rule, I think, though obviously sometimes a setter will come up with a clue format that they're just looking for an opportunity to use.

Comment

Best crossword clue?

Grid, solutions, clues in that order for me.

Anyway, here's are two semi-topical self-defining favorites from my own fair hand

Leading Caledonian Eleven lack total International credibility (6)

Blair Pal came last in reshuffle (8,8)

Comment

Best crossword clue?

Hang on, hang on.

Duncan Gardner wrote:

Grid, solutions, clues in that order for me.
        Does that mean I'm competing against a professional crossword setter there?

Comment

Best crossword clue?

Is it a competition?

Comment

Best crossword clue?

ad hoc wrote: Is it a competition?
            It is in the sense that there's a challenge we are trying to complete ahead of our peers.

Comment

Best crossword clue?

Guy- the amount I've 'earned' from this gig would barely buy you, ad Hoc and I a high tea at Betty's Café, Ilkley.

(I did actually attend an xwordathon there once. All other enthusiasts welcome)

Comment

Best crossword clue?

I think ours is more fun, and the challenge is in using the solution in your next clue, surely? If it's a serious competition, I don't want to play, but I don't think you can claim it's that when half the challenge is to get rude words, innuendo, or - in my case - popular culture references (preferably with an Ant connection) into your "work".

Comment

Best crossword clue?

johnr wrote: 'Distinguished baritone - I fucked his arse madly'(7-7).
                  So, what's the answer?

Comment

Best crossword clue?

MsD wrote: I think ours is more fun, and the challenge is in using the solution in your next clue, surely? If it's a serious competition, I don't want to play, but I don't think you can claim it's that when half the challenge is to get rude words, innuendo, or - in my case - popular culture references (preferably with an Ant connection) into your "work".
                    No. It's not a serious competition. But you are competing in some sense to be "first in" to get the response written down - but nothing more than that.

Comment

Best crossword clue?

G-Man wrote:
                      Originally posted by johnr
                      'Distinguished baritone - I fucked his arse madly'(7-7).
                      So, what's the answer?
                      FISCHER-DIESKAU

(No, me neither)

Comment

Best crossword clue?

Admired for the control of his soft and beautiful instrument, according to Wikipedia. Fnarr.

I hope his relatives don't do the Viz crossword.

Comment

Best crossword clue?

Aquatic mammal (5,3)

Comment

Best crossword clue?

Nurse Duckett wrote:
                            Originally posted by G-Man
                            So, what's the answer?
                            FISCHER-DIESKAU

(No, me neither)
                            I only got it by googling 'Distinguished baritone'. That's what I love about the setter of the Viz crossword - they have to make everything filthy but also have good clues/answers in their own right. So I guess that's why I wondered about the thinking behind this one; did the setter ('Anus') know that this singer's name was an anagram of 'I fucked his arse', and create a grid around that, or what?

Comment

Best crossword clue?

johnr wrote:
                              Originally posted by Nurse Duckett
                              Originally posted by G-Man
                              So, what's the answer?
                              FISCHER-DIESKAU

(No, me neither)
                              I only got it by googling 'Distinguished baritone'. That's what I love about the setter of the Viz crossword - they have to make everything filthy but also have good clues/answers in their own right. So I guess that's why I wondered about the thinking behind this one; did the setter ('Anus') know that this singer's name was an anagram of 'I fucked his arse', and create a grid around that, or what?
                              Only the Shadow knows.

Mwaa-ha ha. Ha-ha!

Comment

Best crossword clue?

Worst crossword clue: any clue on which the answers to many other clues are dependent.

Comment

Best crossword clue?

I made up a clue before but I've never had a chance to use it:

Oklahoma town sees return of lady of ill-repute (5)

Comment

Best crossword clue?

denishurley wrote: I made up a clue before but I've never had a chance to use it:

Are you imposing a deadline of this time tomorrow for us to get that one?

Comment

Best crossword clue?

Mumpo wrote: Worst crossword clue: any clue on which the answers to many other clues are dependent.
                                      This.

(And worst crosswords? Those ones where you've got no numbers on them, and you've got to fit in the answers "jigsaw like" where they will fit.)

Comment

Best crossword clue?

denishurley wrote: I made up a clue before but I've never had a chance to use it:

Tulsa.

EDIT: Only just saw Guy's post. Beaten to the punch.

Comment

Best crossword clue?

(And worst crosswords? Those ones where you've got no numbers on them, and you've got to fit in the answers "jigsaw like" where they will fit.)
                                          I like those ones

Comment

Best crossword clue?

Vicarious Thrillseeker wrote: Aquatic mammal (5,3)
                                            I'll do it meself: Ship's cat.

Comment

Best crossword clue?

ad hoc wrote:
                                              I like those ones
                                              I think you'll find the closest English translation to what I said is "because I can't do those ones"

Comment

Best crossword clue?

Guy Potger wrote:
                                                Originally posted by denishurley
                                                I made up a clue before but I've never had a chance to use it:

Are you imposing a deadline of this time tomorrow for us to get that one?
                                                I'm feeling silly - am I missing some reference?

Comment

Best crossword clue?

24 hours from...

Comment

Working...
                                                  X