No announcement yet.

Mental barrier

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That sucks. But it sounds like some good news too, all things considered.

I've written a lot about DBS. It can work wonders and it keeps getting better to reduce those risks you mention. Yeah, the likely worse case scenario is they have to do it over, but given the upside, that's not so terrible (easy for me to say.) But if you have options, definitely go to the highest volume center you can.

I don't know where you live, but sorry you have to wait for the MRI. Hopefully that won't be long.

Of course, the more judicious construction of MRI machines is one reason the rest of the world pays way less for health than we do, but I've had three brain MRIs in my life and there's basically no wait here. Even our smallish community hospital has one and had no trouble getting me in right away after my accident three years ago.

Comment

Muuk, very best wishes to you and I really hope it's successful. Bloody obvious that actually. Look after yourself.

Comment

Dougie and Dinsdale Piranha have been very much on my mind for these last few days.
        Ha! I was thinking about them as I read your second paragraph.

Best wishes from me, too. x

Comment

Best wishes to you, Muukalainen.

Comment

Blimey. That sounds like... something. Wishing you all the very best for a successful op.

Comment

Thankyou all for your wishes, they really help. There's some kind of psychological aspect that can affect the severity of the symptoms, and knowing that people are supporting you definitely helps.

I've written a lot about DBS.
              As in published material? Can you point me at some of it?

But if you have options, definitely go to the highest volume center you can.
              There's no choice of centre, but even if there were I'd still choose the one here in Oulu. The team of three is very experienced and always works together; they do some 15-20 DBS operations a year. It was quite odd to hear the neurosurgeon talk about DBS in such a matter of fact way, and the mind positively boggles at what other operations must involve when she described DBS as one of the simpler ones. She talked about it in a manner like a mechanic might describe a sump oil change. What seems amazing to most people is just part of the job to her.

I don't know where you live, but sorry you have to wait for the MRI. Hopefully that won't be long.
              I'm guessing that it will be about 4-6 weeks. It has to be done in house because they want to keep very tight control over how it is done.

Comment

And to think I got up this morning moaning about creaky knees. Very best wishes, and I trust in modern medicine enough to be sure it will all go to plan.

Comment

Good luck mate. Try to think of it as one not wholly pleasant day, to make every other day better.

Comment

Oh and I realised I never answered your questions.

I presume and hope that it went well for you. Did they immobilise you in any way during the procedure?
                    It went perfectly thanks. No reoccurence. And they didn't immobilise me but do give me some local anasthetic and some mild sedative to relax me.

Comment

Good luck with everything Muuk, hopefully it will all go smoothly and you can get on with your recovery.

Comment

Originally posted by Bordeaux Education View Post
                        Isn't that, erm, hockey?
                        I love OTF, I can be sat reading posts, sometimes close to tears, and then a little gem like this appears amidst it all and I'm laughing out loud in the office.

Muuk,

Good luck, I'm sure the thought, and build up, to this would be much worse than the event.

Comment

And mine.

Comment

Muuk, I honestly can't imagine what that is like to live through, but know that we are sending you all the positive thoughts we can conjure up.

Comment

And mine. I hope that you'll gain the maximum possible benefits for seeing it through.

Comment

Best wishes Muuk. (Is that pronounced "Mook"?)

(From what little I know from the Finnish language, it's probably pronounced "hopscotch".)

Comment

Bloody hell, Muuk. Best wishes, for what they're worth. You're made of sterner stuff than I am, that's for sure.

Comment

as per the above, best of luck Muuk. That treatment sounds incredible.

Comment

Nothing I've written is likely interesting for you since it's for an industry audience, but I'll see what I can do.

Comment

Missed this first time round, but yeah - bloody hell, good luck Muuk, I hope this makes a massive difference for you.

I'll also weigh in with more "anticipation is worse than reality" medical reminiscence, having had a cyst removed from my inner eyelid under local anaesthetic - twice (the first one didn't work). It was uncomfortable, and I didn't like seeing pointy metal things pass before my blurred vision, but it didn't hurt a bit.

Comment

Thanks once again for all the messages.

Nothing I've written is likely interesting for you since it's for an industry audience, but I'll see what I can do.
                                          Depends on the angle you're coming from. I'm an electronics engineer by trade and so if your field is the electronics part then I'm definitely interested. Anything describing how it works is going to be of value.

Geront: yes it is pronounced as you suggest. Finnish is 100% phonetic, no tricks, emphasis always at the beginning of a word, so once you learn the rules you can always write and speak words correctly. Whether you can get the word into the correct case is an entirely separate argument.

Comment

Best of luck Muukalainen.

Comment

Originally posted by Muukalainen View Post
                                              Thanks once again for all the messages.

Depends on the angle you're coming from. I'm an electronics engineer by trade and so if your field is the electronics part then I'm definitely interested. Anything describing how it works is going to be of value.

Geront: yes it is pronounced as you suggest. Finnish is 100% phonetic, no tricks, emphasis always at the beginning of a word, so once you learn the rules you can always write and speak words correctly. Whether you can get the word into the correct case is an entirely separate argument.
                                              No, I write for an industry journal on medical devices. I see now that I haven't done anything very technical or interesting on DBS for a long time. I can find the same abstracts you probably could on pubmed, I suppose. Do you know which make and model of DBS system you're going to get?

Comment

I didn't realise that Finns emphasised any parts of words, to me it just sounds like listeningtosomebodyreadingaverylongsentencewithnos pacesbetweenthewordskiitosuksikeksi.

Comment

Good luck Muuk, it's going to be great having such a boost from this procedure next month, no worries mate, it sounds like you're in good hands. It's great having this option that wasn't around not too long ago.

As you know from our past correspondence, one of my best friends is just a few years behind you, and will likely also undergo the same procedure down the road.

Comment

Good luck mate.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X