Losing important bits of paper

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm a bit of a hoarder of paperwork. It comes, I know, from my previous career with the Revenue, where one was told to keep everything up to seven years old, and one expected everyone else to do the same.

So, anyway, Signora Rogin and I had a bit of a clear-out last weekend, of my "important papers" cabinet, which although only about 3 foot cubed, had begun to weigh about a metric tonne and much of which, I admit, was not exactly filed in any particular order (nor indeed read, much of it still being in unopened envelopes). We began by agreeing that we'd fill a bin bag or two, and take it to go and throw it all on a big bonfire my sister-in-law was already planning that weekend at her farmhouse.

So we did, and yes, there were bagfuls of it. Old payslips, folders full of old printed bank statements, old car insurance policy documents (all 50 pages of them, you know those leaflets they sent you? I'd kept then all. I'm going back to 1993, here). All merrily thrown into the bag, that ended up going up in flames.

I'd made sure, of course, in the "purge", that I'd kept the important bits. Current house insurance, mortgage, utility information. Our birth certs, wedding certs, passports. My O Levels. A Levels. Degree Certs. Car related stuff. My work pension documents. All good. What could be missing?

Only when we got home from my sister-in-law's, I began to have a nagging doubt at the back of my mind. Where were my life assurance documents? The ones, er, supporting my mortgage for my - well - widow - if I was to, er, snuff it? A frenzied - much less frenzied, really, given that my important cabinet now consisted of about 30 pieces of paper - check revealed that yes, I had put them on the pyre. Thankfully, this afternoon, a phone call through to Scottish Widows (don't see why I shouldn't name them, as they've been so so helpful) meant that they are sending through the new versions and certificates of everything I'd inadvertently, well, burnt.

Any paperwork you've ever lost or got back, or not been able to?

I nearly didn't get into university this summer because I lost my A Level certificates. I thought my parents had them, because there's no way they'd let me have them cos I'd lose them. My parents said they didn't have them, so I must have lost them. Besides, they REMEMBERED giving them to me in 2005, which is an incredible act of memory considering they can't remember what they had for breakfast at dinner time.

Anyway, I paid £100 odd for replacement certificates, my exams being spread over three exam boards. One turned up on the Thursday of registration week, which was still not enough to get into uni. Two more were set to turn up within 28 days. So basically I was fucked.

I phoned the uni to plead my case. They then said "Oh aye, we forgot to tell you, we need copies of your GCSE results for English and Maths." I DEFO didn't have them.

So I phoned Mam and Dad, asked for them to scan them and email them over. And guess what else they found that they definitely didn't have?

So I'm in uni, and my Mam and Dad are dead sheepish. Double result. Worth the money and stress, I reckon.

Comment

Like - on several layers of that story - to hear of EIM polishing his talent.

Comment

Years ago, well before I became a Canadian citizen but well after I'd become a resident, I arrived at YVR without my immigration card. Now this is the 'WTF, what kind of a knobhead are you' bit. I hadn't lost it, I'd just left it at home for safekeeping! That's right, I left Canada without any proof I had any right to come back.

"But I own a house, I can give you my address. My wife's waiting outside. She'll vouch for me... honest!" I explained to the visibly unimpressed immigration man. "That door over there please." he replied.

So there I sat, with an extended family from an unidentifiable Asian country, and a C&W band from somewhere in the Southern U.S. Eventually I got to explain my idiocy in detail to a uniformed twelve-year-old who could barely suppress her giggles. "Can you remember your original port, and date of entry into Canada?" Thankfully, I could. "Well, I can call Ottawa to verify, but I dunno if anyone will be there now. If not you'll have to stay here overnight." My heart sank, it was about 10:00pm.

Amazingly however Immigration Canada really does stand on guard for thee, or me anyway. Someone picked up the phone four thousand miles away — possibly a cleaner — and gave her the info that set me free. 'Why don't you just become a citizen, it's simpler" she said as I slunk away.

Comment

I lost my passport once. I don't think it was stolen, I just couldn't find it in the mounds of disorganised junk I own. This was back in the mid-noughties when I'd spent about six months couch-surfing around London and then lived in at least three different flats so everything I owned was mostly stored in carrier bags and rucksacks. The trouble was that I realised my passport was missing about four days before I was due to go on holiday.

In theory you can get a passport replaced in the same day if you go to a passport office in person. There were no appointments available in the London offices, you can go and wait and hope they find a slot but that can take days and I couldn't afford to take that much time off work. So instead, I asked the woman on the end of the emergency passport phoneline where the closest available appointment to London was. This led to an exhausting early morning trip to the Newport passport office, I had to catch a train at something ludicrous like 4am to be there for the first appointment. But I was back at my desk by early afternoon clutching a new passport!

A couple of days later on the morning of the trip I had my wallet stolen on the bus while I was lugging my rucksack into work (going straight from work to the plane). I had to cancel all my cards and go only with cash withdrawn from the bank using my passport as ID.

Comment

EIM wrote: I nearly didn't get into university this summer because I lost my A Level certificates. I thought my parents had them, because there's no way they'd let me have them cos I'd lose them. My parents said they didn't have them, so I must have lost them. Besides, they REMEMBERED giving them to me in 2005, which is an incredible act of memory considering they can't remember what they had for breakfast at dinner time.
            Why were they eating breakfast at dinner time? It's a slippery slope from there.

Comment

I'm shit at filing and finding documents. I look forward to a completely digital future Utopia.

Comment

Working...
              X