Hot Ice: NHL Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hot Ice: NHL 15/16

I only heard of this due to that scumbag from the Flames, but not many things made me as sad as this piece by Patrick O'Sullivan.

Certainly should be something every coach should be required to read that is coaching any sport, anywhere in the world.

Comment

God every word of that rings true and it's so, so sad.

Even worse, Alex Burrows publicly apolgised to O'Sullivan in the wake of this article for on-ice taunting about the abuse when he, Burrows, was a rookie. I'm guessing he wasn't the only one that did it either. "I was looking for an edge" anything to stay with the Big Club. "I never realised it was that bad."

Pro Sports is a shitty world.

Comment

The Romanian cup was this weekend just gone. There are basically 6 active pro teams in the country at the moment so there were two groups of 3 and then the winners to play the final. Through a dodgy draw the 3 teams way out in front of the league currently ended up in one group and the three bottom ones in the other. Those 3 lower end teams included the hosts of the cup (Gyergyo) and Steaua, who are trying to make some form of comeback to their former glories (but without a rink in Bucharest to play on they play near here in a village rink). The other group featured the 2 teams who play in the MOL league (with Hungarian teams) and Galati who have money behind them and a good squad (and want to play in the MOL, but the owners in that league said no because Galati is really really far from Hungary, being close to the Danube Delta and the Black Sea.)

Anyway... Csikszereda, my hometown team, beat Galati 12-4, and then contrived to lose 4-2 to Brasov with two late empty-net goals (the coach assumed that a draw wouldn't be enough to qualify, so went for it and pulled the keeper with 2 minutes left). Brasov then just needed to get a point against Galati to go through and it was assumed they would easily...but they lost 7-0, which is all bit fucking weird. So, Csikszereda made the final...to play Steaua - the traditional cup final here in many ways, those two are the old firm of Romanian hockey. But it was the first time they had played each other in a final for 6 years, which shows the changes in the scene of late.

Anyway the game was yesterday, Csikszereda were 7-2 up after 2 periods...and the lights went out. So the cup is as yet undecided, nobody knows when or where it will be completed, and whether they will just play one more period, or replay the whole thing. All a bit unsatisfactory really.

Comment

The Habs have a PDO this month of 93. Basically that means they've been so unlucky that to average out their luck for the month, they would have to be Minnesota 34-0 in their next game.

Tokarski and Condon have been freaking awful in goal this month, and the Habs have been outshooting teams by 2:1 yet coming away with 4-1 losses because their shooting percentage this month is under 5% (the league average is 8.9%).

Naturally, this is somehow all Michel Therrien's fault if you ask the average Montrealer.

Comment

It was Little Devils Day at The Rock.

Comment

I'll promise moite to not make any Swiss Cheese jokes.

Comment

From Subban's Slappers to Gallagher's Batters.

I don't remember seeing so many goals batted out of the air (as Mike Millbury said, "they looked like the Montreal Expos.)

I've seen during practices players juggling a puck on their stick like soccer juggling, but this year it seems like we're going to be seeing batted pucks for the foreseeable future.

Congrats Flynnie.

Comment

Yeah, I was pretty happy with that one considering the month from hell that was December.

Comment

Ovi gets Number 500 at home.

A snipe from the circle, what else?

Without question the best scorer of his generation, and one now in the conversation for the best NHL player never to have won a Cup.

Comment

Meanwhile, down 6-2 to the Blackhawks, Patrick Roy pulls his goaltender with more than 10 minutes left

Comment

OK, so what happened in the Romanian final?

Comment

I must still have something in my eye...

John Scott on his All-Star selection and the NHL's scum-sucking front office.

Comment

Scott is a goon, but he looks like a saint next to the league.

We haven't done the Wideman hit on the linesman, have we?

I think he was concussed, but that shouldn't absolve him.

It's one of the most bizarre things I've seen in over 50 years of watching hockey.

Comment

Hot stove talk reckons he'll get around ten games, but the league office is shut until after the all-star break.

I've never seen an incident quite as deliberate as that (I'm not buying the concussion argument and doubt the league will either.) This comes closest.

Comment

CuJo had a perfectly valid beef in that situation, but it always cracks me up when he suddenly tries to put on the brakes 18 inches away from the ref.

Comment

Hi. I'm WOM. Long-time lurker...first time poster.

I don't buy the concussed argument either. His intent and nonchalance is evident in his body language.

And yeah, that Scott piece is excellent. The place will likely go nuts when he steps onto the ice. But what of the rest of his career? A farm team on the rock?

Comment

Scott is the perfect face of the Las Vegas Black Knights.

Comment

The way the Habs are going he may get a call-up fairly quickly. There are a fair few Montréal fans bewailing the fact that Brandon Prust was traded to the Nux. Scott ticks similar boxes.

Comment

Myself, I am very happy it worked out in Nashville.

What a beautiful arena, music, anthems...and Canada loves country music even more than we do.

Hockey belongs here.

Comment

Atlantic 4:3 Metropolitan

This is the Greatest All-Star Game since Magic Johnson beat HIV.

Comment

It is actually fun, especially as PK really cares.

Comment

9-6 Pacific to be Specific.

$1,000,000 to be divided amongst a11-man 3v3 team = Best All Star Game Ever since Marvin sung the national anthem.

Comment

Scott MVP

Best All Star Game of ALL TIME?

I can't recall a better one.

Comment

One Nil...to the Smythe.

I would advocate 4-team tournaments for each division in all sports that are struggling with lame All-Star games.

John Scott goes from banned to the All-Star MVP after a few goals. Self-fulling prophecy, fans not joking after all, the Bettmans still 20 years behind the times...whatever.

Comment

I think the thing is, hockey is so much better on an Olympic-sizer. With a 3v3, it has the feeling of an Olympic-sized rink.

This made goalies distribution much more important, with two gks getting assists on 2-line pass counterattacks. Instead of faceoffs, this led to gorgeous counters.

THEN on tv, one can't even really tell it's 3v3. I just had to wonder why the game is so much more fast and gorgeous and free-flowing than regular games.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X