Hot Ice: NHL Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hot Ice: NHL 15/16

Columbus hire John Torturella, Nux get a second round draft pick in compo.

This is hilariously stupid on so many levels I can't begin to count them.

Comment

CBJ have a very young team, with quite a few Americans, and a fanbase that thrives on college football hype.

Personally, I think the guy is a disgrace in the Drogbaian sense, but if there is any place in the NHL that his schtick will "work", it probably is Columbus.

The fact that we get a 2d round pick is highly amusing (and useful).

Comment

Perhaps. Personally I think he passed his sell-by date a decade or more back. Mind you Mike Keenan has milked a similar approach for much longer.

Still we got more for him than we did for Lack or Kassian. As Mooney on PITB said "It's like finding a five dollar bill in a pair of pants you haven't worn for two years."

Comment

jason voorhees wrote: Don't bother.

The phrase "you stink on ice" comes to mind.
          They seem to be doing ok so far, though I've not seen any games on tv yet - perhaps I should keep it that way so as not to jinx things.

Comment

Oddly the Nux sit top of the Pacific. Which says more about the lame starts of most of the other teams (Ducks with two wins. Eat it Kes!) than anything. But they're bringing on the kids, who don't look at all shabby.

Comment

Yes, the Devs went on a bit of a run. They've been untouchable in OT and shootouts until last night in Brookland. If the game was played 3v3 they would be the '89 Oilers.

Comment

And they beat the Hawks last night 4-2.

The Canadiens unveiled their NSFFW (Not Safe For Flynnie's Work) sweaters for the 2016 Winter Classic.

Lawd...

Comment

And well, well, well...

The team from Vancouver was in Brick City tonight...

and may I ask, how did that turn out for you Mr. AdC and Mr. Ursus ?

I see your team resorts to fisticuffs. Our gentlemanly team does nothing of the sort.

And 4-3 in Overtime! We prevailed! That's what becomes of such tomfoolery!

Nov. 8th 2015
                  New Jersey Devils 4:3 Vancouver Canucks

Comment

We've yet to win in OT this season. This 3 on 3 malarky will have to go.

TBH I've only seen one game so far this year, so I'm in no position to judge yet. If the Whitecaps lose tonight (possible) and the Lions next weekend (likely) I'll turn my attention to the icecapades.

Comment

jv, given that I went all the way out to Coney Island yesterday to support your Cos - Mos, you should have better manners.

Comment

Support the Cosmos, or hit Raul in the ass with the door on his way out?

HMMMMM???!!!!

Comment

Great Trevor Linden story from Brian Burke

The CHL quarterfinals are set:

Karpat Oulu vs Espoo Blues
                          TPS Turku vs Lukko Rauma
                          Skelleftea AIK vs HC Davos
                          Frolunda Gothenburg vs Lulea Hockey

Comment

When I was 11 my dad had a placement for a year in the USA and I was there for about 4 months. I still wake up in terror thinking about the 1976 Philadelphia Flyers.

Comment

So do many people who had the misfortune of playing them.

Comment

Back in the old days, before the Internet, there was something called "junk mail" instead of "spam."

My favorite piece I got in the mail was a guy with a balding afro and thick mustache hawking the dating service that he was a client of.

This guy:

Comment

That's a work of art, man.

In other news, the Canucks have ten losses so far this season. Five in normal time, five in OT or shoot outs.

All ten have been by one goal.

Comment

ursus arctos wrote: Great Trevor Linden story from Brian Burke

The CHL quarterfinals are set:

Karpat Oulu vs Espoo Blues
                                    TPS Turku vs Lukko Rauma
                                    Skelleftea AIK vs HC Davos
                                    Frolunda Gothenburg vs Lulea Hockey
                                    This is of course assuming that Blues survive until the quarters, with the taxman leading the angry mob of creditors camped outside the arena holding flaming torches. That said Blues have been turning around a couple of great results in the past week, albeit the team now resembles a school trip with Kim Hirschovits as an overworked geography teacher marshalling a group of 17 year olds around the country, since most players have had their contracts torn up and we're now relying on the (thankfully excellent) youth setup.

This is of course nothing new in Espoo, after Honka last year

Comment

ursus arctos wrote: That's a work of art, man.

In other news, the Canucks have ten losses so far this season. Five in normal time, five in OT or shoot outs.

All ten have been by one goal.
                                      And another OT loss tonight.

They've the hallmarks of a young team. Crazy mad fire-wagon skating, over-eager offence with no foreplay, immediate nervousness and loss of confidence when something goes wrong.

The had a 3–0 lead and blew it. As you absolutely knew they would when the fourth short-handed goal they've given up on this road trip went in to make it 3–1. They'll get it together eventually, but whether that'll be this season or sometime in the indefinable future who knows.

Comment

Almost a sellout (17,250+) at Madison Square Garden for Cornell-Boston University last night, which ended 3-3.

I would be really happy if there were more college hockey games here; the market is there.

Comment

Especially double headers or tournaments with the Friday/Saturday night aspect of college hockey.

Comment

Yes, please.

Comment

There has been a four team tournament, the 'Friendship Four', held in Belfast this weekend, featuring UMass Lowell, Northeastern, Brown, and Colgate. I would have liked to have gone, for an excuse to visit Belfast if nothing else (I've never been), but couldn't fit it in - hopefully it will be staged again in future years.

Comment

In fact, and I won't edit the above to make it look like I knew - it was confirmed during last night's final that the tournament will return to Belfast next year.

UMass Lowell won it, beating Brown in a shootout.

Comment

Harvard playing Quinnipiac at MSG in January; we are going to try to go, even though I expect us to get beat.

Meanwhile, in Europe

Comment

If they're going to do college hockey DH's, may as well be same schools, women's and men's teams.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X