No announcement yet.

Hot Ice: NHL Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So far, which isn’t far, the Canucks are exceeding expectations.

Comment

Plan the parade.

Pettersson has indeed been outstanding.

Comment

Originally posted by Hot Pepsi View Post
        So far, which isn’t far, the Canucks are exceeding expectations.
        True, on both counts. I think all but the most deluded fans would still be very surprised to see them make the play-offs. But the kids are fun to watch which hasn't been true for some time.

Comment

The last sentence applies to much of the league so far.

We may have finally put a stake through the heart of the trap era and entered the sunlit uplands of speed and skill.

Comment

Some goons didn’t get the memo

This is hot garbage

https://twitter.com/vanessajang/status/1051283187580645376?s=21

Comment

Yeah. There was talk of bringing in a "protector" for him, but most people figured it'd be waste of a roster spot. He scored again anyway, and the Nux won... again. They're playing quite well, even the defense. It's most unexpected. I do hope Matheson gets a suspension, and hope even more that Pettersson isn't seriously hurt. Didn't take long did it?
              Last edited by Amor de Cosmos; 14-10-2018, 04:18.

Comment

First real test for Liam Kirk in the OHL. He started well but is now on a cold run lasting a good 3 or 4 games without a point.

This year was never going to be the real test of how likely Kirk will be to reach the NHL. This season is all about getting used to the different ice size and the different demands of playing major junior hockey. Especially now when players are stepping up from major junior as NHL-ready players. He needs to work on his physical conditioning but equally important is not allowing his first cold spell to get into his head. He needs to focus on developing for a big show next year. He's got 4 years to crack the Coyotes and earn an entry level deal. He might need a year or two in a pro league after the OHL to earn a place so strength and skating is a huge area to work on in major junior.

Comment

If only all fans of major junior players were as rational . . .

Comment

Lightning tie the 77 year-old NHL record for most shots in a period with 33. Win 6-3. Incidentally, the previous record was also set vs the Blackhawks.

Comment

If anyone has DirecTV or whatever it's calling itself now, up in the 600's there's some channel called Eleven Sports, which has both KHL and Swedish league games.

Comment

Nux put eight past the Bruins in the Ghaden last night. Before the start Boston had the best GA in the league and Van hadn't netted eight goals since 2009, Petey didn't score, and Boeser's still injured. We're only a couple of defencemen and goalie away from being seriously competitive I think.

Comment

The Buffalo Sabres won their tenth straight game this evening.

Just in case anyone was looking for yet another sign that the end is near.

Comment

Please god, somebody saw that trick/dummy. Please.

Buffalo Sabres.

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
                              The Buffalo Sabres won their tenth straight game this evening.

Just in case anyone was looking for yet another sign that the end is near.
                              It's all OK. After the Bruins game (above) the Nux lost eight of their last nine. The universe is unfolding as it usually does.

Comment

Seattle is go.
                                http://www.espn.com/nhl/story/_/id/2...nchise-seattle

They've got so many possible good names to pick from. So they'll probably pick something shit.

Comment

Like Metropolitans

Comment

That wouldn't be so bad.

Like I've said before, I'm hoping for Ironmen. I don't think Totems or Thunderbirds would go over well these days (nor should it, I suppose). Sockeyes, Kraken, Cascades, and Huskies have also been proposed, but I'm certain UW will block the last one.

Comment

You may recall that back in January of this year DetroitHockey.Net found that the ownership group registered a series of potential names as domain names, those names were the: Cougars, Eagles, Emeralds, Evergreens, Firebirds, Kraken, Rainiers, Renegades, Sea Lions, Seals, Sockeyes, Totems, and Whales

Comment

Cougars would not make Washington State alumni happy. Actually of those choices are either lame or potentially problematic.

Comment

Seals would be good. They could wear white skates.

Comment

That's precisely why it's problematic i.e. redolent of failure.

Comment

Totems or Thunderbirds could work with the support of the local tribes.

I confess that I don't know to what extent (if any) they have been involved with the current WHL team.

I think these are quite sharp (the shoulder crest is that of the Metropolitans, though re-coloured)

I assume that Marvel would shut down Ironmen very quickly.

Comment

I think there'd be issues with indigenous peoples. It's one thing having long-standing "indian" team names/crests, quite another to introduce a new team with one. Also the Thunderbirds are UBC's name. Might not matter south of the line of course but it would here.

Comment

That is certainly possible, and, given what I know of one of the principal owners, would be a deal killer.

I'm not a fan of either Sasquatch or Kraken, which are just trying too hard and will become dated quickly.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X