No announcement yet.

Hot Ice: NHL Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Vegas fairytale continues as they sweep the Kings.

Comment

Vegas are the first team in any of the three major North American sports with multi-game playoffs to sweep the first series they ever contested.

Comment

Originally posted by jason voorhees View Post
        KHL Garagin Cup Finals

Game 1
        AK Bars of Kazakhstan scores first. CSKA of Moscow ties it. AK Bars of Kazakhstan scores second. AK Bars wins 2-1.

Game 2
        AK Bars of Kazakhstan scores first. CSKA of Moscow ties it. AK Bars of Kazakhstan scores second. AK Bars wins 2-1.
        Game 3 was won by CSKA in overtime. I saw the OT period in which AK Bars were camped out in the CSKA zone for large periods, looking like they were on the powerplay. Then they cocked up getting out of their own zone and were beaten by a snapshot.

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
          Looks like the Jets' world domination may be delayed a bit . . .
          Back on track. In style.

The Nashville series (assuming the roof doesn't fall in) is going to be two weeks of good fun.

Comment

Really should be the conference final

Comment

Harry Harkimo has announced that he's to sell his majority shareholding in Jokerit, bringing to an end a 27 year relationship with what was an ordinary second division outfit, but would soon be transformed into the nation's strongest club. Only the rise of what was another second division club would challenge them. Jokerit have been mostly off my radar since they departed to the KHL some years back, and it's rather sad to see that attendances are little above the levels of when they competed domestically, and what was a profitable club is now haemorrhaging money at a startling rate.

Comment

So, it will now be 100% sanctioned oligarchs?

The whole escapade has been an unmitigated disaster from a sporting perspective, though it likely has been more successful in terms of money laundering

Comment

So, it will now be 100% sanctioned oligarchs?

The whole escapade has been an unmitigated disaster from a sporting perspective, though it likely has been more successful in terms of money laundering
                  Officially, we'll have to wait and see to whom Harkimo sells his shares. If I can remember Jokerit's financial figures correctly, they've posted losses of about €10M for each of the last couple of years, and getting in an investor to swallow those kind of losses over here isn't going to be easy. Harkimo's talking about a hand over (by?) this coming autumn, by which I presume he means in time for the start of next season. Apparently, he's already been in preliminary discussions with some interested parties and has stated that he will be selling to a Finnish business. We'll see. I suppose in an ideal world the new owner would shove two fingers up to the KHL and re-join the Finnish league, but I've no idea what contractual obligations the two parties have.

Comment

Originally posted by Muukalainen View Post
                    Officially, we'll have to wait and see to whom Harkimo sells his shares. If I can remember Jokerit's financial figures correctly, they've posted losses of about €10M for each of the last couple of years, and getting in an investor to swallow those kind of losses over here isn't going to be easy. Harkimo's talking about a hand over (by?) this coming autumn, by which I presume he means in time for the start of next season. Apparently, he's already been in preliminary discussions with some interested parties and has stated that he will be selling to a Finnish business. We'll see. I suppose in an ideal world the new owner would shove two fingers up to the KHL and re-join the Finnish league, but I've no idea what contractual obligations the two parties have.
                    AK Bars wins the whole Garaginkabob, 4-1.

The Leafs are about to REALLY make this interesting. Granted, under the shadow of a horrible terrorist attack.

The Caps have better take this momentum into the Igloo.

Comment

Pens-Caps

How novel

Comment

Pens-Caps

How novel
                        Sigh.

I think the Bolts are on track, but we'll see. I hope finishing the Devils in five while their next opponent has to go seven will help.

Comment

Leafs gotta Leaf

Comment

Leafs gotta Leaf
                            Indeed, but that was a balls-out dope-ass match. From the first second to the last.

Amazing saves, amazing fuck ups (love the crowd all putting their head into their hands all at once when Bergeron tripped,) amazing hairbrained and harebrained coaching decisions (starting the 4th line for the Beans which ended up with an amazing scoring chance for Toronto after 3 seconds and a tripping penalty after 16 seconds and a goal a minute later...Scotty Bowman is shaking in his boots.)

Then that last period.

Happy for the Eastern semis. Worst comes to worst, and no amazing underdog to capture the imagination, just have the best f'n teams play in the 2nd round of the playoffs.

Comment

Breathes a quiet sigh of relief.

Feels like Tampa / Boston and Winnipeg / Nashville should be conference finals, rather than semi-finals.

Comment

Vegas

Holy Crap

Comment

Kärpät won their 8th Championship last night, all but one of which have been secured in the last 15 years. Victory by a single goal in Tampere was enough for a 4-2 win in games against a Tappara side that must be thoroughly sick of finals against us. This one's especially sweet for us since it was supposed to be a year of re-building following last season's chaos, which culminated in head coach Kai Suikkanen being shown the door. Instead, his deputy and first time head coach, Mikko Manner, transformed his collection of no-star misfits and under-achievers into a team. The basic job of a coach, and he's done it well.

Comment

Can I confess to not knowing Las Vegas' real nickname? I'm going with this excellent suggestion:
                                    Vegas

Holy Crap

Comment

Originally posted by Muukalainen View Post
                                      Can I confess to not knowing Las Vegas' real nickname? I'm going with this excellent suggestion:
                                      Hilarious.

As a Devils fan, I'll add our name should be changed to the New Jersey Thank Fuck Peter DeBoer Ain't Our Coach No Mores.

Muuk, found a site with the Liiga's highlights. Forgot to tell you I was watching a lot of those games this year.

Comment

Until last night, no Winnipeg team had ever won a quarter-final game. Great holes are being ripped in the space-time continuum.

Comment

Hellebuyck being a necromancer no doubt helps with this

Comment

Vegas

Holy Crap
                                            It is getting more and more difficult to ignore them.

Comment

Great Britain have done it.

Great Britain got the point it needed when Robert Farmer tied the game against Hungary at two with 15.8 seconds left in regulation time.

Comment

Bloody great, eh? I’ve been keeping quiet about their progress after my last post was followed the next day by a 6-1 shellacking by Kazakhstan.

After that they beat Poland and I watched the fantastic, dogged victory over Italy last night on Freesport. At a gig tonight so had to follow it on twitter but clinching it with that little time left felt fated.

First time in the top tier for 25 years, I imagine they will be whipping boys but hopefully just getting there will mean a boost in profile for the sport over here.

Comment

Working...
                                                X