Black History Month

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Black History Month

I know Guy started a thread, but the title is cryptic and may get overlooked.

http://www.expressandstar.com/news/2015/10/03/black-country-flag-row-apology-demanded-when-historian-visits/

Patrick Vernon is a local councillor in Hackney and a thoroughly good bloke (my mate's partner) who generally focuses on the positive, with his 100 Great Black Britons project. He's giving a talk in his hometown, which he's quite fond of.

The E&S is a Daily Mail wannabee paper - I remember their hate campaign against the firefighters very well. UKIP have also jumped in to misrepresent Patrick's views.

If you wouldn't mind voting in the poll it might be slightly helpful, thanks.

Black History Month

A more positive view of the Wolverhampton talk, with booking information.

http://www.wolverhampton.gov.uk/article/7667/Discover-Windrush-generations-legacy-in-Black-History-Month?utm_medium=SocialSignIn&utm_source=Twitter&u tm_campaign=Stronger+Economy+-+developing+a+vibrant+city

Comment

Black History Month

That is a pissy story, even by the standards of the E&S. Why on earth shouldn't he visit his childhood home, whether or not they agree with him about the flag.

My parents still have the paper delivered, mainly to support a local institution, and what passes for comment in it is generally UKIP-y bollocks. It is strange that it even survives as a paid-for title (in general, the dumbest common denominator stuff probably helps, sadly enough).

As for the flag, I remember thinking on first sight that it looked like a design for the cover of a 1970s political reggae album, which indirectly tallies with PV's view. On the other hand, Sir Lenworth has been photographed with the flag for Black Country Day. It merits debate, rather than personal attacks and sulking, at the very least.

Comment

Black History Month

Fuck my life - the poll results are depressing. Is the Ukip campaigning for this?

Comment

Working...
        X