Vinyl's back

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Vinyl's back

I thought about putting this in "music" but I think it's more of the social phenomenon than the actual music that's the point.

My youngest daughter (12) for Christmas wants a record player - an old style record player - and several albums by modern types like Ed Sheeran and something called Maroon 5, ON VINYL.

So the kids are going back to a technology that the world abandoned when I was her age. I'm both bemused and amused.

Vinyl's back

I never abandoned it. What was I supposed to do, throw hundreds of LPs away?

Comment

Vinyl's back

Well I get the impression the hipster generation is going back to it in droves ... your collection is suddenly going to be worth a bloody fortune (inasmuch as they've heard of any of them)

Comment

Vinyl's back

I don't think the hipster generation is listening to Ed Sheeran or Maroon 5.

Comment

Vinyl's back

They aren't totally devoid of taste, then,

Comment

Vinyl's back

Thank fuck. *puts vinyl copy of Megadeth's "No More Mr. Nice Guy" on eBay for £500*

Comment

Vinyl's back

Can I interest your daughter in a couple of 'seminal' Barron Knights LPs?

Comment

Vinyl's back

"Where are you all coming from? We're from Dartmoor, on the run!"

Comment

Vinyl's back

That's the one.

Comment

Vinyl's back

Why wasn't it 'Knight Gallery'?

Comment

Vinyl's back

And what is going on in that picture???

Comment

Vinyl's back

More to the point, what is a Barron Knights?

Comment

Vinyl's back

They were the house band when I worked at the Mecca ballroom in croydo

Comment

Vinyl's back

Wow, are vinyl sales on the increase? Who knew?

Good to see that Rogin has his finger right on the pulse of the latest trends.

Rogin the Armchair Fan wrote: your collection is suddenly going to be worth a bloody fortune (inasmuch as they've heard of any of them)
                            Haha, right.

Comment

Vinyl's back

I didn't like to say.

Comment

Vinyl's back

I like to stay abreast of trends. I know, for example, that all the youngsters are into a singing troupe called "Wand Erection".

Comment

Vinyl's back

I have first dibs on the Barron Knights' albums. I still haven't got a birthday present sorted for Harry Truscott.

"Boozy nights. Ain't no doubt, we are here for drinking..."

Comment

Vinyl's back

Vinyl is rubbish.
                                    Digital Audio Tape is where it's at, Grandad.

Comment

Vinyl's back

I got two new cassette tapes a fortnight ago (from my mates' exhibition) and no way to play the buggers.

Also haven't sorted out a new turntable and have quite a lot of unplayed vinyl from Record Store Day.

And a new CD arrived yesterday with my new music book, and I can't etc.

Might have to have a Sorting Out Music Day. I'm sort of hoping the lodger will offer to do it when he moves in.

Comment

Vinyl's back

And, of course, cassettes are making a comeback.

http://www.thestar.com/entertainment/music/2015/09/30/cassette-tapes-are-back-but-whos-listening.html

Comment

Vinyl's back

Blank tapes are really expensive now. The irony of having to order them through digital media is a lot too.

I miss the discipline, focus and (with vinyl) artwork you got with analogue media, but on the whole being all digital is fucking amazing. You wouldn't believe the space and money I've saved.

Unfortunately, all the money went on space.

Comment

Vinyl's back

Lucia Lanigan wrote: Blank tapes are really expensive now. The irony of having to order them through digital media is a lot too.
                                            http://www.wilko.com/memory-cards+blank-discs/maxell-ur-90-cassette-tapes-x-10/invt/0136180

Usually stocked at your local store. Maplin far more expensive.

http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/maxell-90-minute-ur-cassette-5-pack-bv04e

Comment

Vinyl's back

I'm not into Maxwell, and it's a shop, not a store. We're not foreign.

Comment

Vinyl's back

See, I know that it's Maxell, and yet I've always pronounced it Maxwell anyway because Maxell is such a weird name.

I love records, but I've recently realised that I love CDs even more, and not only that, but my music-listening seems completely tied up to CDs. I had a few years of almost exclusively listening to mp3s even in the house, but I've noticed that I don't play anywhere near as much music, and certainly don't pay anywhere near as much attention to it, as I do when I pop an album in the CD player. Part of it is the sound quality (I know, I know, yawn); but there is also a weird thing with mp3s of almost having too much choice, which makes me constantly skip tracks to the point where deciding on something to play is a struggle, and I fail to properly listen to what I've settled on.

Anyway, I've restored my CD player to its pride of place, and have bought a lot more new music in the last few months than in the previous few years put together, so there.

Comment

Vinyl's back

Never were bothered with Maxell. TDK D90 for me. And then SONY HF90.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X