Blade Runner II - SPOILER

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Are they using the follow up novels (Kenneth Jetter) as source material for the sequel? They were Dick family approved as jeter was a mate of Dicks. I read them so long ago I cant remember anything about them.

Comment

in case anyone hasn't already seen this blade runner-y photo of beijing

Comment

Geoffrey de Ste. Croix wrote:
        Originally posted by Jongudmund
        A Blade Runner prequel might be worth watching. What else did Roy Batty see as well as attack ships burning off the shoulder of Orion?
        I've never been able to take the replicant leader's name seriously, it's too kitchen sink for sci fi.

"I've....seen...things you people wouldn't believe....Elsie Tanner brazenly flounce about Weatherfield with her fancy man from behind twitching curtains...I watched Arthur Seaton fall down stairs roaring drunk...All those moments lost like tears....in rain. Time...to sup up..."
        Hahahahahahaha

Comment

According to the Prometheus Blu-Ray, Blade Runner and Prometheus occupy the same universe. Theres a segment on the disc which has a collection of the viral videos they released for the movie with notes from Weyland 'himself'. He states that Tyrell was a friend/mentor who opposed his foray into the world of robotics and artificial intelligence which resulted in Tyrell becoming a direct competitor to Weyland Industries.

Comment

Yeah, I'd heard that. The revelation that Ash is a synthetic human in Alien does rather set the Blade Runner template for not knowing who or what is human.

But trying to crossover the two is silly.

Comment

Agreed.

The only thing that connects the two is the 'artificial human' angle. The world of Blade Runner is so far apart from the one shown in Prometheus...

However, there is an Easter egg in Aliens which hints at another connection to the Tyrell Corp. When Ripley is in the briefing room at the beginning of the movie, Captain Dallas' profile flickers onto the screen and his bio shows that one of his former employers was The Tyrell Corporation...

Comment

Bumping this to say happy birthday to Roy Batty, born (incepted) on 8 January, 2016.

Comment

Damn. This does look good. New trailer. Lots of spoilers since that's how it goes with trailers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gCcx85zbxz4

Comment

I am so hyped right now.

Comment

And here's another one that previews even more of the plot (again, avoid if you want to avoid spoilers):
                      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dZOaI_Fn5o4

Comment

Mmmm. Trailers.

Not convinced.

More worried about this now having seen Alien Covenant which is probably the film I would most like to remake myself because I honestly think I could do a better job of telling a story that wasn't an utter pile of poop.

Has Ryan Gosling been in any good films? He seems to be the film star breathily talked about by my female co-workers who don't like watching films.

Comment

The Nice Guys, The Big Short, The Ides of March, Lars and the Real Girl, Fracture, and La La Land (optional).

Comment

The opening sequence of Drive was fantastic, the rest of the movie...not so much. At least in my opinion, I know some people thought it was great.

I also enjoyed Crazy Stupid Love, where he was first paired with Emma Stone.

Comment

Inca is 100% correct about Drive. The opening sequence is one of my favourite things in film. The rest of it was underwhelming as a result. Actually, I don't remember the rest of it at all, now.

Comment

Originally posted by Stumpy Pepys View Post
                                Blade Runner did have flying cars (always a daft idea). Decker was also making calls in a phone box.
                                That is in the book, Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep. I recently read it again and that was one of the bits that jumped out at me. But he wrote it in the 60s. Indeed, I'm not sure many or any sci-fi writes of note predicted cell phones, and if they did imagine something like that, they didn't really imagine what it would be like for everyone to plug into all the world's information with a thing in their pocket. SF writers, as far as the one's I've read, tend to overestimate the importance of VR technologies or expect us to "jack-in" to computer simulations etc. Maybe we will someday, but it turns out that mostly text on a 3 in screen is enough to completely distract huge parts of humanity from the real world.

I've also noticed that the future in the US has turned out to have less overt Japanese or Chinese influence than Dick or Gibson imagined it would. At least, less obvious influence on style, advertisements, street food, etc. Maybe it's different on the west coast. But whenever I'm in an airport and hear announcements in Japanese or Chinese, it feels futuristic to me. I hope that's not racist.

Anyway...
                                Dick's book is a lot different than the movie, so much so that I don't know why they bothered to keep so many of the same character names. Not sure why they called it Blade Runner either.

The only things that are the same are:
                                He's a cop/bounty hunter who tracks down rogue replicants, including ones named Roy Batty and Pris.
                                The Voight-Kampff test is used in both versions to try to ID replicants by their lack of empathy.
                                Rachel is an advanced replicant.
                                The earth has been ruined by some kind of environmental disaster and people are moving to Off World Colonies. In the book, it was a nuclear war. In the film, I'm not sure they say what the calamity was. The film is set in LA, while the book is set in San Francisco.

There are aspects I like better in the movie, and some I like more in the book. Especially the director's cut. I like the Rachel character better in the film and like how Batty is more developed and the whole thing with Tyrell. But ...

[spoiler] In the book, there's no indication that Deckard is a replicant, which makes it more interesting in a lot of ways. Rachel is, but she's a baddy and throws his goat off the roof. Batty isn't in the book much. There's a whole lot of weird stuff about Mercerism and the empathy box and the importance of animals in the book that is only alluded to in the film. In the book, Deckard is married and that reveals a lot about the future Dick imagines [/spoiler]

Comment

Originally posted by San Bernardhinault View Post
                                  Inca is 100% correct about Drive. The opening sequence is one of my favourite things in film. The rest of it was underwhelming as a result. Actually, I don't remember the rest of it at all, now.
                                  I liked that whole film. Albert Brooks as the bad guy was an inspired choice.

Comment

I've read the book and it's very different to the film. But I can see why. The book is unfilmable.

The rumour I heard is that the studio bought a prospective script about smuggled medical supplies just so they could use the title. They then junked the script and "Blade Runner" became the name of the adaptation of Do Androids Dream...

That story might be all bollocks.

Comment

Chose Blade Runner as my film to iron to last night. It was the "Final Cut" that I bought cheap on DVD or got given years ago. Pretty sure they jazzed up some of the effects. It seemed to move ever so slightly more quickly than I remember it.

If Deckard is a replicant it does explain why he can take such a pounding from his prey and still function. Every one of them batters him.

He also gets a bit lucky with his retirements.
                                      1) inexplicably runs away after putting him on his back and hides badly before running in a straight line away from him
                                      2) Rachel ex machina
                                      3) decides to take a run up at him, giving him time to get his gun out
                                      4) saves his life, gives a speech and switches off

Comment

Just saw a trailer for the new Blade Runner. It can go one of three ways: 1. It's going to be spectacularly good. 2. It's going to be spectacularly bad. Or 3. It's going to be really really good, but Jared Leto is going to stink the place out. (My money is on 3.)

Comment

Jared Leto is the blind guy in the trailer? I've seen it on Facebook but not with the sound on.

While I will go and see this, I'm not expecting much from it at all.

Comment

The reviews that have come out over the past couple of days are killing me.

They seem to be universally glowing. In fact glowing might not be strong enough. It can't actually be good can it?

Comment

Hmmm. Everyone but everyone loved that new Mad Max film, and I hated hated hated that movie. The guitar with flames coming out, the bad guy who looked like a pro wrestler, ffs. Not optimistic at all.

Comment

Yeah, I'm worried. It's raves across the board.

Comment

Originally posted by Lang Spoon View Post
                                                  Everyone but everyone loved that new Mad Max film, and I hated hated hated that movie. The guitar with flames coming out, the bad guy who looked like a pro wrestler, ffs.
                                                  *banning finger twitches almost uncontrollably*

Comment

Can’t help it, was bored stiff, and intermittently stifling laughter, would have done me good to have at least been able to pretend to like it in the pictures as well. Fuck sake ‘poker face’.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X