Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Blade Runner II - SPOILER

*****SPOILER******

Ridley Scott has said that the sequel will unambiguously reveal that Deckard was a replicant!

*****SPOILER*******

What a prick he is. Leave it fucking be.

Comment

Blade Runner is one of my favorite films. I'm ok with a sequel because if it's good then I'll enjoy the film. If it sucks, I won't have to worry about it (the sequel won't negatively affect my interest in the original).

Comment

I was thinking of Blade Runner today when I read that Facebook has announced that they will allow people to have short repeating videos as their profile photo, essentially making a gif. I need to find a good video of the woman from the billboard in Blade Runner to have as my profile video.

Comment

surely that's not a spoiler. The dude with the origami horse makes that very clear.

Comment

I've sat through Blade Runner more times than I care to remember and each time I've come to the conclusion that it's a pile of absolute shite.

I also seem to be the only person on the planet who thinks this, but they're all wrong and I'm right.

Comment

I should have added that my big pet peeve with film companies is remaking films. I rarely see the need to remake a film, so as long as Blade Runner isn't being re-made then I'll check out the new one.

Comment

I'd like to see a version that follows the plot of the original book, of which several key themes were omitted in the film. Even if it ends up as a mini-series.

Comment

Calvert wrote: I've sat through Blade Runner more times than I care to remember and each time I've come to the conclusion that it's a pile of absolute shite.

I also seem to be the only person on the planet who thinks this, but they're all wrong and I'm right.
                  I think it helps to only see it once, and to only see the directors cut, because there are a number of different versions, and some of them are much worse than others.

Also it helps to be off your head on drugs, so you can get into the directors head. For me it was steroids and sleep deprivation. It totally put me in the zone.

Comment

danielmak wrote: I should have added that my big pet peeve with film companies is remaking films. I rarely see the need to remake a film, so as long as Blade Runner isn't being re-made then I'll check out the new one.
                    No need to do a remake when the original has come out in about five different versions so far.

Comment

I'd like to see a version that follows the plot of the original book, of which several key themes were omitted in the film. Even if it ends up as a mini-series.
                      Not to mention the ending is completely different. There's a fairly faithful comic of the book. Not exactly a movie, but it's visual.

Comment

**********SPOILER**********

He murders his wife and gets away with it

**********SPOILER**********

Comment

I imagine this film is going to be as good as Prometheus.

Comment

My comment about remaking wasn't about this film but the process in general.

I have seen the US theatrical version (saw that one in the theater when I was a kid and on video), the director's cut (again, in the cinema and no video), and the international version (on video and can't remember how this version differed from the other two). I'm good with all of them but probably prefer the director's cut.

Comment

Blade Runner II, really, just isn't a good idea. Prometheus got away with it (just about) because the Alien series offers a few more ideas to both explore and exploit for good mainstream commercial reasons, and contains elements which already has a built-in audience to accept and enjoy them to an extent.

Blade Runner remains a different animal. Its appeal grew through time and an audience that had to build after a few good years to truly flourish into a spirit of true appreciation, unlike Alien, which was a box-office smash from the off and imprinted its nightmarish vision on the psyche of a cinemagoing nation almost immediately. It pretty much demanded its sequels and offshoots, so much was its commercial power.

Blade Runner is a unique experience and an example of cinematic self-containment that had too many filmmakers try and imitate its futuristic feel and tone to little avail, and to do it all again, sequel-wise, would, I'm guessing, only increase the appreciation of the original by having a lumpen retread to continually compare it against.

But what do I know? Scott, Ford et al may play a blinder and prove me wrong. I get the feeling, though, that they won't.

Comment

Carnivorous Vulgaris wrote: At the time it was made the 21st Century must have seemed a far-off, exotic place replete with flying cars and androids. Now there we've pretty much entered the time period that the movie depicts it's a lot less exotic.
                                Blade Runner did have flying cars (always a daft idea). Decker was also making calls in a phone box.

Comment

True on your last point, CV. Scott's comfortably entered those twilight years where he's done most of what he's set out to do and is having a ball doing what's left. The Martian is, reportedly, Scott's best film in a long time and is possibly the result of a filmmaker who's now, to paraphrase Orson Welles, having fun with his train set. Whether this will make Blade Runner II anything of a success remains to be seen.

Comment

A mini-series would be a great idea, 13-odd hours to develop new stories and properly explore the LA of 2019, instead of 2 hours and a need to pander to an audience expecting spectacle rather then subtlety.

Comment

I dunno. A mini-series that could do okay but go no further and add very little to the appeal of the original. A mini-series that could flop completely and be forgotten. Or a mini-series that could do so well that another mini-series could be made after that, then another season, then another until you get one of those series that doesn't know how to end and gets abandoned with no closure on it.

Or I could be a miserable bastard. Yes, perhaps that's it.

Comment

ian.64 wrote: Prometheus got away with it (just about)
                                        Prometheus was awful from pretty much every angle. It was a worse addition to the franchise than Alien v Predator.

Comment

A Blade Runner prequel might be worth watching. What else did Roy Batty see as well as attack ships burning off the shoulder of Orion?

Comment

Jongudmund wrote: A Blade Runner prequel might be worth watching. What else did Roy Batty see as well as attack ships burning off the shoulder of Orion?
                                            C-beams glittering in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate.

Gets coat.

Comment

Jongudmund wrote: A Blade Runner prequel might be worth watching. What else did Roy Batty see as well as attack ships burning off the shoulder of Orion?
                                              I've never been able to take the replicant leader's name seriously, it's too kitchen sink for sci fi.

"I've....seen...things you people wouldn't believe....Elsie Tanner brazenly flounce about Weatherfield with her fancy man from behind twitching curtains...I watched Arthur Seaton fall down stairs roaring drunk...All those moments lost like tears....in rain. Time...to sup up..."

Comment

Jongudmund wrote: Prometheus was awful from pretty much every angle. It was a worse addition to the franchise than Alien v Predator.
                                                I liked it, despite its faults. It somehow manages 73% on Rotten Tomatoes (Alien vs Predator gets 21%.)

Comment

The problem with a mini-series is special effects. I can't think of many TV shows that look as good as films. One of the things that has worked for Blade Runner, unlike so many other science fiction films, is that the effects have aged well. Yes, as other folks noted upthread, we get some flying cars and standard telephone boxes (with low-grade video phones) but that mix of noir (past) and sci-fi (future) seemed to offer a nice balance so everything didn't need to seem so fantastical. The result, in my opinion, is a film that holds up better in terms of aesthetics than other sci-fi films that now look quite cheesy.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X