Housing crisis watch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Housing crisis watch

So mergers continue to occupy the housing associations with most of the big London associations now looking to create giant development conglomerates.

Circle and Affinity Sutton will form a group with around 130,000 properties.

Genesis and Thames Valley are merging.

Rumour is that Peabody is merging with Notting Hill.

L&Q, Hyde and East Thames are merging which will be the biggest of the lot. Around 160,000 homes.

Looking at the reasons stated its easy to see where this is going for the provision of "affordable housing" in London.

The L&Q merger will make them the 4th largest developer in the country. It's already become accepted practice to regenerate old council estates by an HA forming a joint venture with a developer. They knock the estate down and build more and better flats.

So far so good. But typically where there were previously 500 flats rented at £150 per week there are now 700.

400 will be sold for £500k each ( with around 30 percent bought and sub let by mainly foreign investors)

100 will be private rented by the HA on insecure tenancies

100 will be for shared ownership

100 will be for affordable - sub market rents - set at 80 percent of market rent.

The HAs are turning from organisations forced into this model by cuts in subsidy to large corporate entities with an ethos that demands the need for commercial house building for profit. They will then provide a small number of affordable homes with any surplus.

The more corporate they become the more the demand for investing in protitable schemes will become the overriding motivation.

Depressingly many of the CEOs of the HAs seem delighted to do this and to create these giant and what will inevitably become remote corporate landlords.

As well as being able to leverage more funding the stated benefits are in more streamlined back office functions. No doubt they will also start to consider providing more and more services on line and through call centres thus breaking the links and contacts between front line staff and tenants even further and becoming more remote.

This in turn will make it easier to take corporate financial decisions.

Yvonne Arrowsmith -CEO of East Thames - is already making statements about the need to get on with governments agenda and blaming HAs for creating a dependency culture amongst tenants that wastes millions on unnecessary support and repairs.

At best it looks like the Big HAs may become socially responsible corporations. At worst they'll turn into developer landlords.

It's a long way from what they were formed to do which was provide housing for communities exploited by terrible landlords and provide housing for those priced out of the market.

Every single one of them will have mission statements charitable ethos. The need for the bloody statement just shows that they need to remind themselves why they exist.

Comment

Housing crisis watch

Well, we don't want no proles, plebs or paups living in London...

Comment

Housing crisis watch

I remember my sister in law actually telling me how she was very anti- rent controlled apartments because "some people need to face the fact that they just can't afford to live in Manhattan".

Comment

Barnet 'regeneration plan' turned down by Mayor of London

This looks like good news, I think it is the most significant thing Khan has done in this area.

I believe some Haringey residents recently saved their homes from being regenerated too.

I'm impressed with the search function on the new(ish) board.

Comment

The Haringey Development Vehicle has not (yet) been halted, though its progress may be stymied by the fact that a number of councillors that approved it have not been reselected to stand in the May local elections, or have stood down.

There's some kerfuffle in my manor next door too, with two huge fuck-off towers with precisely zero genuinely affordable housing, having been given outline permission to be plonked in the middle of Walthamstow town square, bulldozing yet another kids' play park.

Comment

In Haringey I'd be worried that efforts would be made now to ram the HDV through and make it irreversible before May.

Comment

Yeah I can imagine LendLease flexing their unpleasant muscles to the full now.

Comment

Originally posted by E10 Rifle View Post
                  The Haringey Development Vehicle has not (yet) been halted, though its progress may be stymied by the fact that a number of councillors that approved it have not been reselected to stand in the May local elections, or have stood down.

There's some kerfuffle in my manor next door too, with two huge fuck-off towers with precisely zero genuinely affordable housing, having been given outline permission to be plonked in the middle of Walthamstow town square, bulldozing yet another kids' play park.
                  Did they get much cash off the developer? I don't mind that sort of new build stuff (as opposed to the very aggressive redevelopment of council estates) if they do, because councils need the money. With caps on council tax for the last 7 years, I'm not sure what they're supposed to do otherwise.

Comment

They haven't sold the land yet. The council leader's been pretty unequivocal in saying they'll take practically anything that increases the council tax base – which is an understandable if unimaginative approach – but given that council amenities (a playground, which will be eventually rebuilt apparently, green space) get squashed in generating this 'money for council amenities', it's not an enormous benefit. There are no additional health or education facilities in the development, even though it will generate needs in that direction.

And there's literally fuck all of the housing that anyone needs (our waiting lists are massive) in the development.

But yeah, central government's cuntishness is the chief villain of the piece, though it hasn't stopped local Tories grandstanding in their opposition to this.

Comment

The council tax receipts will take a while to show up. Surprised they don't want a load of money up front. They should, if they "have" to do it.

It's a good example of cuts in grant leading to cuts in amenities. The borough might fill a gap in its budget with this sort of stuff, but right away, it loses a play area.

Comment

I wish they'd be a bit more honest as well. Why not just say "We need the cash"; instead of trying to gloss up developments they approve as "revitalising the area", which are such manifest bollocks

Comment

Yeah. Walthamstow looks reasonably full of life when I go there. Making it sound otherwise is stupid.

Comment

I've just had a glance at the HDV "mythbusters" sheet. Even if you take it at face value, it's pretty astounding.

It's a "myth" that the land being sold is worth £2bn. That's an estimate of what it'll be worth after redevelopment. Current value in "tens of millions".

So that's at least a 20 fold increase in land value. That's some major league change, right there.

Comment

May's tin ear to actual humans' actual suffering strikes again

Comment

Working...
                              X