ITV is 60 - Right then...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

...who fancies a nine-hour 16 part documentary about its history?

I strangely admire the dedication that's gone into this. It's almost certainly a damn sight better than anything they're doing themselves to commemorate.

Can someone move this to Film & TV please?

They said even then it would lead to the lowering of the intelligence of the whole nation.

And they were right.

Comment

I wouldn't disagree... and neither would the guy who's made this.

Comment

ITV In The Face is a glorious thing. (Is that our own Nishlord in the production credits at the end of each episode? I do get so confused with real names on here.)

But anyway, bringing this back to a football theme, another YouTube channel has been doing some sterling work over the last few weeks or so, putting together immense packages of ITV football highlights from 1968 through to 1984 (at the time of writing.) The quality is a little patchy in places - understandably, considering where the source material was coming from - but they are certainly worth being flagged up on here.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLWfqfo-_mXnNe5IkzTSTvDzITQI6NeaHh

Comment

My Name Is Ian wrote: ITV In The Face is a glorious thing. (Is that our own Nishlord in the production credits at the end of each episode? I do get so confused with real names on here.)

But anyway, bringing this back to a football theme, another YouTube channel has been doing some sterling work over the last few weeks or so, putting together immense packages of ITV football highlights from 1968 through to 1984 (at the time of writing.) The quality is a little patchy in places - understandably, considering where the source material was coming from - but they are certainly worth being flagged up on here.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLWfqfo-_mXnNe5IkzTSTvDzITQI6NeaHh
          Despite the fact that ITV would usually be the only way you'd get to see your "own" team on the telly for most of us; did anyone remotely think their coverage was better than the BBC?

(Including the weekends when "you" didn't have football important enough to matter, and you got the feed from LWT's "The Big Match"?)

And even allowing for Jimmy Hill?

Comment

I suspect that it depended on where you lived. I lived right on the dividing line between London and East Anglia, and Anglia's coverage of the teams in that region was really, really good. (I later met their commentator/host/main man Gerry Harrison after I'd had a light ale too many and told him as much.)

Of course, the getting to see your own team thing was foisted upon them by the Football League, who insisted on a certain number of games from each division being shown over the course of a season. Imagine that - a football governing body dictating terms to a broadcaster rather than vice versa.

Comment

When Tyne-Tees bowled into the "San Siro" of the Tees Valley, aka Feethams, so ramshackle and decrepit was our "manor", and so ill-equipped* were TTTV they set up a wooden platform in the corner of the ground to cover the match.

Cue disclaimer - "We know you prefer the game to be covered from the half-way line, but this is impossible at Darlington's ground"

* Not if you've got a cherry-picker** platform like the proper broadcasters have got it isn't

** Which in the 1970s we'd probably call a "Simon Snorkel"

Comment

Guy Potger wrote:

* Not if you've got a cherry-picker** platform like the proper broadcasters have got it isn't

** Which in the 1970s we'd probably call a "Simon Snorkel"
                Like Gigg in 1986 here, looking gorgeous on an early Spring FA Cup fifth round day:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P_bfmoKJkqs

Comment

Working...
                X