The most hated sport

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The most hated sport

This summer's England players were 46% privately educated, so your point still stands, although not as strongly as before.

The poshos: Cook, Bell, Ballance (Harrow!), Bairstow, Buttler, Broad.

The plebs: Lyth, Root, Stokes, Ali, Wood, Anderson, Finn.

Just like in the days of Larwood or Trueman, the bowlers are all plebs, except for Broad, who started out as a batsman and whose father's cricketing exploits would have paid for school (as with Bairstow).

Comment

The most hated sport

For all this " I hate rugby because I was forced to do it by a sadistic PE teacher", I was 'taught' rugby in school by an ex-player who had one cap for Wales and lived out his potential vicariously through the school team. Anyone who was really crap - i.e. me - got put in the "C" team who didn't get coached but just doled out the cones and ran around the pitch while the rest were taught. The school team were banned for a season because they were too violent. Rob Brydon, who went to the same school, did a piece on "MArion and Geoff" that was based, I am sure, on the same bloke.

After I moved to London, by dint of being Welsh and tall, I went straight into the school team. This was in spite of not really knowing the rules as I hadn't been taught properly. However, I was a second row so that didn't really matter. I had two wonderful years playing for the school, can't remember whether we won much or not.

What the experience left me with was not a hatred of rugby but a lesson in how not to teach or coach children and a dislike of over-competitive teachers, coaches and parents who live their sporting dreams vicariously through the children they are responsible for.

Comment

The most hated sport

People who hate jingoism may understandably hate football when England are involved in a major tournament.

Ice skating in the 1980s might be hated because it took up TV time that might have been given to a different sport.

Horse racing - tedious build-up and arguably cruel.

Comment

The most hated sport

OK, I'll set out my list of reasons for hating F1:

1. Elitist barriers to entry
          2. At least as much about the cars (engineering quality etc) as about the drivers
          3. A significant number of drivers are under instructions not to try win the race but to try to assist favoured team-mates by obstructing rival team drivers
          4. Environmental pollution
          5. Puts driving at dangerous speed on a pedestal
          6. Nearly all top drivers have arsehole personalities
          7. On television far too much
          8. Bernie Ecclestone and similar scum at the top of the ownership tree
          but above all else:
          9. That utterly nail-scraping fucking racket of the engine noise.

Comment

The most hated sport

It's really boring to watch as well, like a roller derby with no scrapes, where none of the skaters had a personality.

Comment

The most hated sport

I've said this on here before, but at a decent track (Monza, Spa, Silverstone, etc.) it can actually be a great day out.

The experience at the track outside the paddock vastly different from that on television and the likes of Top Gear.

Comment

The most hated sport

ursus arctos wrote: I've said this on here before, but at a decent track (Monza, Spa, Silverstone, etc.) it can actually be a great day out.

The experience at the track outside the paddock vastly different from that on television and the likes of Top Gear.
                One of the more minor problems I have is that if you went to the track for something like F1 you only see a fraction of race from any vantage point.

All racing really should be done on a basically oval track that affords a view of the entire goings on.

Comment

The most hated sport

Well, if you go to one of the tracks I note, you will also be able to see screens that show action from other parts of the track.

Having attended oval track motor racing in this country, I will take F1 (and road course in general) every day and twice on Sundays.

Comment

The most hated sport

But having to watch most of it on a screen rather negates the point of attending live. Watching screens at a live sporting event is, rightly, decried at beyond the pale.

I meant racing in general - running, cycling, wheelchairs, dirtbikes etc.

Comment

The most hated sport

You have fallen back into your Voice of God mode.

There is no single "proper" way to enjoy a sporting event (or anything else in life).

Comment

The most hated sport

ursus arctos wrote: You have fallen back into your Voice of God mode.

There is no single "proper" way to enjoy a sporting event (or anything else in life).
                        This whole thread is in "Voice of God" mode, that seems to be the whole point.

Comment

The most hated sport

10. That F1 gets more attention than Indycar, which is a much more awesome example of formula road racing. More accessible too.

Sadly, even though it's still more awesome than f1, Indycar is a shadow of itself after the great split of the mid-90s.

Comment

The most hated sport

Although I still enjoy it at times, it has to be the NFL for me. Jingoistic, concussariffic, too big to fail.

I love rugby. I never had a Welsh PE teacher who made me scrum in the mud rather than play football, and if I did have one I'd have loved it.

I do generally like F1, but as as the previous post alludes, I have a chip on my shoulder about the attention it gets for its Tilkedromes, bloated aerodynamics, pay drivers and generally boring races.

Comment

The most hated sport

I thought the point was to illustrate yet again the continued relevance of class markers to every aspect of daily life in Britain.

Comment

The most hated sport

There's far too many on this thread (not all) who are swallowing RU's propaganda that RU is Rugby and not just RU.

And I come from an area that is marginally RU and pretty much RL free, which is a pity, 'cos I quite like RL.

Comment

The most hated sport

I stand shoulder to shoulder with Mr. Flynn on his last paragraph.

There's tons wrong with contemporary F1.

Comment

The most hated sport

ursus arctos wrote:
                                    I thought the point was to illustrate yet again the continued relevance of class markers to every aspect of daily life in Britain.
                                    For some people, yes. Though, coming from a part of Britain where rugby is genuinely classless, I don't really get it.

Comment

The most hated sport

CF: Cricket in Yorkshire & Lancashire. Golf in Scotland.

Comment

The most hated sport

F1 in Italy

Comment

The most hated sport

I don't really get disliking sports on class grounds anyway. I like darts & speedway but also rowing & tennis, who gives a fuck?

Comment

The most hated sport

As far as I can see, the class that watch rugby in Bath - outside of Twickenham, one of England's hearts of rugby - is exactly the same as me.

Comment

The most hated sport

san2sboro wrote: There's far too many on this thread (not all) who are swallowing RU's propaganda that RU is Rugby and not just RU.

And I come from an area that is marginally RU and pretty much RL free, which is a pity, 'cos I quite like RL.
                                              Based on class affiliation or do you actually like it?

I've met a few people who profess to like League but really they just identify with it because they see it as a domain of the working classes.

Comment

The most hated sport

I just quite like it. I've never been to a game, it's all a bit south of here, but happily watch the Challenge Cup when it's on, used to watch SL when I lived in Sky households, and read the RL bits in the papers. Castleford & Wigan are the teams I root for.

I used to work with a guy who was from Castleford, used to play for Lock Lane, chatting about RL one day and he said he'd take me to the Jungle. Then he dropped dead walking his dog a few weeks later, so it never happened.

Comment

The most hated sport

And, oh, how very dare you, I'm lower middle class.

Comment

The most hated sport

Ooh! Get a load of la-di-da san2sboro putting on airs and graces. Lower middle class indeed.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X