Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hamburg, Paris, LA, Budapest or Rome then?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hamburg votes "No".

Comment

It has to be Budapest. Beautiful city and has never held it before. I have no idea of the logistics of it.

Comment

Charles de Gallois wrote: Hamburg votes "No".
        Very pleased about this. Particularly as I would have been helping to foot the bill even though I had no say in the matter.

Comment

You were the first person I thought of this morning when I heard the news. So as well as thinking, "Good for Hamburg", I was also thinking "I bet treibeis is pleased." Even though you could have made a killing at the mini-golf franchise. It might even be an Olympic sport by then.

Comment

imp wrote: Even though you could have made a killing at the mini-golf franchise. It might even be an Olympic sport by then.
            I've heard that from a few people. However, had they hosted the Olympics, the powers-that-be were planning to cordon off the great big patch of grass next to the hut and turn it into the Olympic equivalent of the Fanmeilen that they have during World Cups and European Championships.

This would have maybe led to an increase in khazi-users and, depending on where the entrance would have been, a rise in people necking cheap beer from the hut before going inside and paying three times as much for the same stuff.

Of course, like everybody else, I could have whacked up my prices. But I like to think that things like that are beneath me.

Comment

It's too much of an expense for a small economy like Hungary, mostly unproductive. I guess it will be between Paris and LA. Both venues already have most facilities in place and the resources to add to them.

Comment

Los Angeles' bid now has UCLA as the site for the athletes' village, instead of a location near Downtown LA.

Should LA get the games, I'm envisioning a complete shitshow of traffic and security measures around campus. Likely no camps for my kids that summer, and I'd probably be best leaving my car at home.

Comment

Rogin the Armchair Fan wrote: I've developed a bit of a fascination for visiting old Olympic stadium complexes in cities that have held a games, when we visit, ever since we went to the London games. We went to the ones in Munich and Barcelona when we recently visited them, and next year we're going to Helsinki.
                  Missed this when you first wrote it, Rogin, so: if you want to, you can sleep in Helsinki's Olympic Stadium. There's a YHA youth hostel actually in one of the stands, I stayed there when I went. You can go up the tower as well, and you should definitely do that if the weather's nice as the views from the top are wonderful.

Comment

I've also done the Helsinki Olympic Hostel and recommend it unreservedly

Paris has a strong logo

Comment

That is nice but it is only the bid logo, London also had a nice one of those before they came up with the "Lisa Simpson" one for the actual games ;

Comment

Yes, as we discussed before, that would have been an infinitely superior logo for the actual games.

Comment

Sam wrote:
                          Originally posted by Rogin the Armchair Fan
                          I've developed a bit of a fascination for visiting old Olympic stadium complexes in cities that have held a games, when we visit, ever since we went to the London games. We went to the ones in Munich and Barcelona when we recently visited them, and next year we're going to Helsinki.
                          Missed this when you first wrote it, Rogin, so: if you want to, you can sleep in Helsinki's Olympic Stadium. There's a YHA youth hostel actually in one of the stands, I stayed there when I went. You can go up the tower as well, and you should definitely do that if the weather's nice as the views from the top are wonderful.
                          The Olympiastadion in Helsinki will be undergoing a major renovation starting this Summer. I don't think it'll be open again until 2019. When and how much that work will affect the hostel and tower, I couldn't say.

Comment

Rome's candidate logo:

Los Angeles will reveal its logo later today.

Comment

It would be cool, if Rome got it, if they did put facades up around the new stadium (and indeed the inside) to make it look like the Collisseum. Why go for modernism when the antique is so iconic?

Comment

I would expect that they would try to host something in the real thing.

Maybe archery, like Lord's.

Comment

ursus arctos wrote:
                                  Los Angeles will reveal its logo later today.
                                  I hope LA uses their own Coliseum in the logo to troll Rome.

Comment

Comment

Tinkerbell does the Olympics

It really is a Disney town, isn't it?

Comment

I'm not a fan.

Comment

More appropriate for a New Age strip club.

And she should be facing the other way.

Comment

At least it's distinctive, it's the city of angels, sun and body worship, and a sun so bright you can barely glance. It's a bit vain but then again, fittingly so.

This Boston logo looks good, as does the NIMBY version:

I don't get the Hamburg logo, which is interesting but a bit of a design tangent, perhaps it refers to a local water mirror like the one in Bordeaux:

Oslo's winter games logo is excellent:

and the KL'24 is pretty good:

Comment

Kuala Lumpur in August would be pretty brutal, weather-wise, wouldn't it?

Comment

Lovely logos there. Logo a gogo.

Comment

Rogin the Armchair Fan wrote: Kuala Lumpur in August would be pretty brutal, weather-wise, wouldn't it?
                                                  They held the Commonwealths there in September a while back, presumably they'd go for that again (or as late as the IOC will allow)

Comment

The Olympics doesn't have to be in August (as I now see longeared mentions), Sydney and Seoul both started in mid-September and Tokyo & Mexico City took place through mid-October.

Melbourne in 1956 started on November 22nd and didn't finish until December 8th!

Comment

Working...
                                                    X