New cars that look tremendous.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

WOM wrote: If there's anything that will shift a paradigm, it's your reframing.
    That only works as a growly voiceover (with a two-second pasue after the comma) in a film where the car's driving along a coastal road or at the foot of a mountain.

Comment

Yeah. Sam Elliot doing Dodge/RAM truck stuff could probably get away with saying just about anything.

"Ram Truck. With the new Cummins Diesel it'll shift your paradigm, and two tons of rolled steel."

Comment

I hate that Volvo (an unusual emotion for me and cars in general and Volvos in particular).

It looks as if someone stepped on it, or perhaps subjected the back to some sort of melting death ray.

Comment

Kevchenko wrote: Good point evilC, round headlights are great. The Mini. Fiat 500. Even old BMWs and Golfs.
          Yet WOM earlier ruined it by putting up a picture of a shitty Jeep.

Comment

As for the station wagons, the whole problem in North America is that someone launches a nice one (say Acura at the moment) and no one stocks it, it sells like crap and they pull it. Then once it is gone another marque does exactly the same.

For some reason the CUV's resonate with dealers and buyers. I would imagine we would have considered a wagon if you didn't have to break your neck to find one. At which point you say screw it (as if you want a wagon you have kids so the endless pissing about isn't helpful) and buy an SUV.

Comment

Didn't even know that model existed. US-only I suspect.

And I like that Jeep....it'll surprise you to learn.

Comment

WOM wrote: No, I don't like the Nitro. But I don't hate it either. As you likely suspect, I'm drawn to odd cars. You don't like that Volvo?
                The only feature of that Volvo that makes it vaguely interesting and not just some identikit nothingness is that back window. And that back window looks ridiculous.

So, no.

Comment

Waa-waa-wee-waa

Comment

Kevchenko wrote: Good point evilC, round headlights are great. The Mini. Fiat 500. Even old BMWs and Golfs.

For those looking for up-to-datedness, the Frankfurt Motor Show is happening, so you can see some new designs:

http://www.autoblog.com/2015/09/16/frankfurt-motor-show-recap/

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/car-news/frankfurt-motor-show/92190/frankfurt-motor-show-2015-live-coverage
                    Interesting to see how many hybrids and electrics are planned, despite ferocious rowback from Gideon and his ilk.

Comment

I think that they are getting to the point now where demand is sufficient that companies will still develop and market them irrespective of much government intervention.

Comment

One for WOM: Juke Mk.II due in 2018. The "Gripz" concept car there (below) has some design ideas Nissan seem to be throwing around.

Comment

WOM wrote: And for wool-hatted football hooligan boy racers *cough*, the Nismo edition of The Juke.
                          Please don't tell me you like that.

I've seen better looking gangrenous wounds.

Comment

Uhhhhh.......

Yes, I do like the Juke. I like cars that have character and make you go 'hmmm' (good or bad). Where other see ugly, I see interesting. I can deal with quirky; it's dull design that I can't stand.

That said, I wouldn't get the Nismo edition. Apparently the ride is tuned so tight it'll shake out your fillings.

Comment

See, cars like this sell about a bajillion copies a year. Me, I'd rather walk than drive this. Apologies to anyone who owns one, but it says joyless and soulless to me.

Comment

WOM wrote: cars that have character
                                Christ, don't you start as well.

Comment

Ahhh...get over yourself.

Comment

WOM wrote: Ahhh...get over yourself.
                                    I'm so far over myself that I've disappeared up my own arse.

I still can't get over the fact that you talked about "cars with character", though. Do you also like "highly emotional vehicles", like the ones I was forced to read about thsi morning?

Comment

Oh....baby....

Comment

No, I don't like highly emotional vehicles at all. Too much drama. I like vehicles with looks that sustain your interest for more than an hour. Ones that a bit of thought has gone in to. Ones that looks like they were designed by a person with an idea, not a committee with a sales goal. I realize it's all nonsense, but life's too short to drive dull cars. Or to do much else that's dull, either.

Comment

Riding home last night, I made a point of watching for silver 3-series BMWs. (Full disclosure, I really fucking hate them.) Mainly they're driven by older guys who've money, and younger dickheads who likely don't. But imagine spunking all that money to say "Look, I've made it" and buying a fucking silver 3-series; a car as banal and dime-a-dozen as an entry-level Honda Civic. Just sad. If you really have to, buy a 1-series, in bright red, and at least show you've got a bit of life left in you...

Comment

This thread is reminding me strongly of that 'average life goals' twitter

Comment

WOM wrote: Ones that looks like they were designed by a person with an idea, not a committee with a sales goal.
                                              Yeas, I'll have that. The only cars I give a second gance to are the concept studies, the ones with picnic hampers built into the side panels and dumb waiters between the front and rear seats, stuff like that. I know they're never going to be built, but it doesn't matter.

Some of my colleagues are in Frankfurt at the moment. I wasn't allowed to go because I was told I had too much work to do (Err, I'll be the judge of that, thank you very much). I wouldn't have gone anyway as I've got to clean my holes this evening, but that's not the point. I wanted the chance to tell them to fuck off and they denied me it

And what do I end up doing when I'm supposed to be ploughing through too much work? Trading casual car-design-based insults with somebody on the internet.

How this company makes any money at all, I just don't know.

Comment

If you really have to, buy a 1-series, in bright red, and at least show you've got a bit of life left in you...

Funny you should say that. When I first started at this company, one of the clients took an instant dislike to me. The first thing he said was, "Come up with a snappy headline for NOW!"

I blurted out "Wenn der Spaß vorbei ist" ("When the fun's over"). If he'd been bigger than me, he'd have given me a slap, I reckon.

And if you're thinking of buying a 1 Series, you might as well buy a Mini.

Comment

See, concepts studies are the ultimate in blue balls, which I why I don't pay much attention. You see the most exciting things, knowing full well they'll never be in showrooms.

Years back, Chrysler had a gorgeous concept car called the Airflite:

And then I heard they were going to build it. But the accountants got involved and it became this:

Comment

And good luck with your holes.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X