New cars that look tremendous.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Really dragging a storied marque through the shit with that, they are.
    Jesus, Clive. You don't do a half-arsed version of wrong, do you? The F-type and F-Pace are the two best looking cars in their class. That F-Pace is beautiful.

Comment

caja: I think it's a Ferrari engine, so it may be the outlier of Alfas. And it has had good TV reviews. (Admittedly Clarkson and the Top Gear guy, but still).

Comment

WOM wrote: Strict electric or hybrid? Do they lease them only, or could you have bought it outright?
        Electric motor, and nothing else. You can buy them, but with the way battery and charging tech is improving, leasing is the best way in my opinion as you can upgrade.

There's always a longer range car coming next to month/quarter) year but I took the decision that that's true of most tech. You bite the bullet and go for it.

My daily commute is 26 miles. This has a quoted range of 174, so between 110 - 140 real world (120 seems average) so conceivably one charge could do nearly a whole week's driving, although I wouldn't risk it more than three days with no charge up.

Comment

Just bumping this thread, firstly, to call out Hobbes' wrongness on the F-pace now that I have seen a fair few in the flesh. Vile looking boxes. Secondly, am loving the new Fiat Spiders. For some reason, you can't find an Abarth model with some sort of extraneous black on .

Comment

Gorgeous. However, I wish they'd kept all the engine and whatnot standard Mazda and just did the styling and interior by Fiat. I remain stuck in the past and have zero confidence in their mechanicals. The great thing about the MX5 / Miata is that it's a sports car you really don't have to worry much about.

The F Pace, however, is quite lovely. Hobbes really should have looked harder at it...

Comment

I just got one of these, btw.

Comment

Ah! You're not a proper Canadian male without a pickup.

Comment

New Lister Storm! Oh my! [fans neck with chequebook]

Comment

I’m not a supercars kind of guy, but that looks nicer than any of the current crop I can think of.

Comment

It'll be interesting to see if it turns out to be a 4-seater, like the original ...if it turns out at all, that is.

Comment

Originally posted by WOM View Post
                        I just got one of these, btw.

Did you own a Dinky car with the boot broken off as a child or something?

Comment

The hell's the matter with you. It's stunning.

Comment

hah, it looks like two front halves welded together, with a few modifications. I think this is simply one of those cultural things. You're clearly used to looking at these things and this may be a very attractive model of its type. The thing is that there's no real tradition of that kind of vehicle here. If you own a pick up truck in Ireland, you are a builder, and like literally everyone in the world, you have an aging Indestructible Toyota landcruiser, and it's covered in cement. If you're a farmer, you have a four wheel drive with a van Boot.

I appreciate that it's no more ridiculous an affectation than people driving SUV's around cities, but there's something really odd about spending so much money on something with an open back for work. There's no pretense that a Range Rover is ever going to be used for farm work.

Comment

Well I don't know about a cultural thing, but Home Counties born, Sydney suburbs dwelling Mrs. S has designs on one of these one day:

Comment

And lids are available for a small extra charge, thus the back is no longer open.

Comment

Yeah, mine came with the three-fold lid on the back / bed. The cool thing about the Ridgeline is that it has a proper locking trunk under the traditional bed that's big enough to fit four carry-on sized rolling suitcases.

Comment

I'm surprised it doesn't have a compartment for carrying Grand pianos. That truck is 32 inches longer than my toyota Corolla, and a foot wider, and two and a half times as heavy. The thing is that it's noticeably longer and wider than either the biggest Mercedes S class Maybach, or a Rolls royce silver ghost. Those cars are fucking enormous.

It's the helicopter carrier of the road.
                                    Last edited by The Awesome Berbaslug!!!; 24-02-2018, 22:23.

Comment

The thing is with those pick-ups is that the rear set of seats are always a compromise and uncomfortable. This makes the whole car a compromise: it's like saying "Yeah, I might want to carry things in the back ...but not as large as a real tradesman might. And I also want to transport my family ...but I don't like them enough to buy a car they're comfortable in!"

If you want a pick-up, buy one with two seats and a *huge* flatbed area; if you want to transport your family in a rugged car, get a damn SUV!

Comment

Mmmm. No. I don't much like SUVs.

Comment

But that Ridgeline is a huge SUV. It's an SUV with a fucking enormous giant open boot.

Comment

I'm not sure what you're comparing it to. It's a mid-size pickup, and is noticeably smaller than the F150s, Silverados and RAMs that are the top sellers. It has a full-size cabin, but a shortened bed.

Comment

I mean, yeah, compared to vehicles in Ireland, I guess. But it's not North America huge.

Comment

I neglected to mention that Mrs. S’ hankering for a big Hilux is part of a wider one involving a smallholding in the Southern Highlands, rescue hens, sheep and goats.

Comment

Oh god, some of the things Tony Soprano used to drive around in!

Well Pickups are such a big thing in the US that you're always going to differentiate, but over here an SUV is essentially a Car version of the landrover. The Range rover is a rolls royce to bring to the racecourse, or out shooting. It's a passenger version of a working vehicle. And there are van versions of the more basic SUV's. You used to see an awful lot of Mitsubishi Pajero's with only a front row of seats. That Ridgeline basically falls straight under that definition. I mean it's over a foot longer than the Range Rover SE. The thing that amazes me about that vehicle is how fucking cheap it is. Cars are extraordinarily expensive here. A google search for Honda Ridgeline Ireland, reveals that there are a honda rigelines for sale in places called Ireland, all around the world, but not actually the island of Ireland.

Comment

Mine was 4 years old when I bought it for $30K Canadian. Don't know what that is in Gold Shamrocks or anything. But yeah, cars are cheap cheap here. And plentiful.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X