Corb Blimey!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Corb Blimey!

It's kind of fun watching the British right have a complete and utter meltdown over this. Blood pressure in the home counties seems to have gone through the roof.

Comment

Corb Blimey!

Bored of Education wrote:
      Originally posted by TonTon
      Anyway, look - the four big jobs are the four big jobs. You should want to change that and you should try to change that but you should not try to justify your man's selections by trying to pretend it isn't true.
      I don't know if you are pointing that at me but I was pointing out that, whoever the leader, I think of education and health as bloody important jobs and, considering the occupants of those positions in the past, it seemed like others did as well.
      They are. And no, I wasn't particularly pointing it at you. More at "them" out there. It's horrible to hear and see some of the things people will say to justify someone they like.

Comment

Corb Blimey!

Corbyn does need to come up with a way of dealing with what the media is doing right now. I know to us it all may seem almost silly in its basic stupidity, but they wouldn't be doing it if they didn't think some of it would stick. The worry is that some of it does stick.

Comment

Corb Blimey!

I wouldn't worry too much about it, horrible though it is. They are never going to be on our side. The most powerful thing may be not to play by their rules, not respond with the old tit for tat. It shows them up as propagandists.

I'd prefer he didn't get irritated or arsey with reporters doing their jobs, even when they're being a pain, because that makes him look bad, unnecessarily, when he comes over so well in speeches.

Comment

Corb Blimey!

Yep, I think the "love your enemies, it'll drive them up the wall" approach he, mostly, employed during the leadership campaign is still the best way to go.

Though part of me would like the idea of him having a Malcolm Tucker type in the backroom somewhere down the line, threatening to rip John Humphreys' cock off and shove up his arse. Yin and yang, and that.

Comment

Corb Blimey!

Quite

There has to be space for pointing out just how ludicrous the attacks have been. The Telegraph has turned into Breitbart overnight, and it can only be a matter of time until they start wailing about his birth certificate and Muslim heritage.

Comment

Corb Blimey!

Sorry not to be committed to the cause, but I don't really get this. I'm a long term floating voter, and I don't quite get the idea of turning Labour into a pressure group, a left wing protest vote UKIP. Someone said a page or so ago that this is a good thing, but, genuine question, seeing as a lot of you are more into this than I am, what is the point of removing any electable second party in a two party state?

Comment

Corb Blimey!

There is none. It's a demented denial of reality.

Comment

Corb Blimey!

I have a feeling - don't ask me why - that Lucy is not yet fully on board with the Corbyn project.

Comment

Corb Blimey!

Heh heh. I'm a critical friend.

Comment

Corb Blimey!

What factors have influenced your floating, pebble?

Comment

Corb Blimey!

Buoyancy?

Comment

Corb Blimey!

I'm not convinced. A bit like Pebble really.

I voted Labour at the last election. Probably will at the next.

My Dad who did door to door for Labour in a relatively safe Tory seat is distraught.

Comment

Corb Blimey!

(never mind)

Comment

Corb Blimey!

I'd like to ask Lucy if he feels Corbyn should've buttoned his collar fully and sang the national anthem to avoid giving the nest of vipers more excuses to criticise him?

Comment

Corb Blimey!

Jongudmund wrote: My Dad who did door to door for Labour in a relatively safe Tory seat is distraught.
                                  Genuine question: which specific Corbyn policies doesn't he like?

Comment

Corb Blimey!

What I'd also genuinely like to know from Lucy and others who don't like Corbyn's policies is what one should do about the constant right-ward drift in this country?

Because we end up in a state where even proposing that unions have some rights will seem a bit too left wing. Where proposing that you tax the rich a little bit more will seem a bit too left wing. Where objecting to the "flexibility" of zero wage contracts will seem a bit too left wing. Where proposing an alternative to "austerity" - a cunning term for a system where the poor suffer and the rich don't, and wealth continues to flow from poor to rich - will seem a little bit too left wing

We're either there already or getting there on those - does the left have to shut up about those issues and play the floating voter game, or actually start to sound off about those issues, and convince people how important they really are?

The Tories don't really play this floating voter game anyway. They take it for granted, with their media advantage, and do whatever they like to put more money into the hands of the very few. If they lose a few elections, this doesn't make them stop and consider that they should be more left wing. They just couch their stuff in different language, and continue to do it anyway, when they get back in. If you keep appeasing them, where do you end up?

Comment

Corb Blimey!

Stupid Corbyn. Doesn't he realise that the Queen flew Spitfires and died in the Battle of Britain?

Comment

Corb Blimey!

Well, my primary answer to that would be that you don't arrestca rightward drift by abdicating from being an electable opposition. Because that allows the Tories to go further right with impunity, not fearing any damage at the polls.

The Labour Party in power has an obligation to roll back some of these frontiers, but they can only do that with the consent of the British people, and that includes the business community and the press.

Comment

Corb Blimey!

Is much of the press owned by British people?

Comment

Corb Blimey!

san2sboro wrote: Is much of the press owned by British people?
                                            Much of it is read by British people.

And in order to keep their readers, they themselves practice preference accommodation. The press can't tell their readers to do something they don't want to do. That's why The Sun always (belatedly) backs the winning side.

Comment

Corb Blimey!

Look, I'm trying to be glib here, it's not like I don't actually get it.

Comment

Corb Blimey!

Well, my primary answer to that would be that you don't arrestca rightward drift by abdicating from being an electable opposition.
                                                Ah, so to arrest this rightward shift you actually become part of it?

Damn clever, these Blairites.
                                                Fifth Columnists, what?

So, Lucy : do you think Corbyn should've done his top button up and sang GSTQ?

Comment

Corb Blimey!

PMQs is on today, and Corbyn's going to do it. If nothing else, it will be entertaining. 12 o'clock, BBC2.

Comment

Corb Blimey!

Corbyn won't be in charge of Labour during the next general election.

There is no need to worry about electability.

For that reason, let's just enjoy the ride of him fucking off exactly the people it's most fun to properly fuck off.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X