No announcement yet.

Corb Blimey!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Impressions of specific people are as always fine. (Provided they're good enough to be recognizable) Impressons of entire groups of people, or of the person you are talking to, Not fine. I'd go with Father Jack though. It's easier.

Comment

To quote one of wingco's FB friends who posted on his page on this, to show his sincerity on this, Corbyn might usefully add a *personal* apology for his *personal* associations, over many decades, with cranky individuals and dingbat organisations who absolutely believe in and promote the Jewish conspiracy theory stuff.

Not that it would make much difference to me, mind. I'm not personally invested in this anti-Semitism row, unlike Corbyn's support for Brexit, which is really why I loathe him with a passion.

Comment

I’m always more than delighted when someone does a pisspoor Groundskeeper Willie type schtick when they find out I’m Scottish and not a Nordie or Cavan bastard or something. And folk from England or the States, definitely worse at thinking this is all cool and top bantz. “Whaurs yer Sporran?”, that’s always a good one as well.

Comment

Oh god, Taylor pointed out on FB the text that accompanied the picture, which I didn't see because i was too distracted by that appalling mural.

Comment

Originally posted by The Awesome Berbaslug!!! View Post
            Impressions of specific people are as always fine. (Provided they're good enough to be recognizable)
            Probably for the best I retired my Michael O'Hehir impression.

Comment

Corbyn has issued a new apology, admitting that AS has surfaced in the Labour Party, and stating that aspects of anti-Israel rhetoric (including the use of the word Zio and the comparison of the Israeli government to the Nazis) constitute AS.

Comment

Zio? Is that some interweb shorthand?

Comment

It's a racial slur. Was part of the case involving Oxford University Labour Club.

Comment

Rather than 4 statements since Friday, maybe they should have worked on a decent response in the first place. He really should kick out that prick Milne. And Katy Clark as well. Useless eejits.

Comment

I think the statement could have been made a year ago, but it's still good. Suspect Lansman may have been involved? He's supposed to be good on this stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by Berba
                        One of the really annoying things for an Irish person living in England... there's a really high probability that someone somewhere along the line is going to do their Irish accent for you
                        Feel yer pain, but it's not a problem I've found very often in a much longer spell here. We must move in different social circles- it's hard to tease another's accent if you're from Woolwich or Wolverhampton. You may just have to get used to being confused with the Young Offenders or that bloke with the plastic bag mask. And it's hardly surprising anyway after years here I can't always place someone in Nottingham, Leeds or Manchester. It's probably inevitable after a century of mass media and people moving around for work.

Back to JC and the JC. Do we have an agreed line on talking about Israeli state abuses without upsetting either party? I've been accused of AS a few times, usually for comparing with Apartheid South Africa and referring the Gaza bombing.

Comment

Yeah, even though I once worked with someone from Nottingham, I was amazed Dead Mans Shoes is Midlands set (near Stoke?). Those flat vowels I always associate with The North (though I suppose there’s fuck all distance between say Stoke and the NW), Midlands I still automatically just think Brummie. Though the Chart Music podcast confirms that the Nottingham dialect pisses over the rest.

Yeah, the whole Israel thing. Think this has come up before here, but definitely seems that opposition to the Occupation/comparisons to Apartheid have become more muted in all the UK media, especially since JC. Cameron also seemed to take a slightly tougher line than May toward the Israeli Govt.

Think fatalist (they’re fucked) apathy and Islamophobia have probably diluted sympathy for the Palestinians among the wider public as well.
                          Last edited by Lang Spoon; 26-03-2018, 19:19.

Comment

Originally posted by Lucy Waterman View Post
                            I think the statement could have been made a year ago
                            It wouldn't have changed a thing. This is about trying to destabilise him. These people didn't give a fucking shit about this before 2016. The "protest" this evening includes Ian Paisley of the DUP. those well known haters of homosexuality. The Jewish Board of Deputies recently praised President Donald Trump. Among the people there include GnasherJew - now there is a fun guy to Google for.

If Wes Streeting, John Mann and Nick Cohen - people whose Twitter feeds can smell anti-semitism in the Labour Party at a thousand yards but was really strangely fucking quiet when it came to the Telegraph attacking George Soros on its front page - are judging people by the company they keep then they should really be looking around themselves right now.

It's fucking bollocks, it really is. Are there anti-semites somewhere in the half million plus membership of the Labour Party. Yes there is, and I'm pretty sure they will get removed as soon as they are discovered after due process. But really. I go to watch Burnley. There are definitely going to members of the BNP and EDL in the crowd at Turf Moor, but that doesn't mean the chairmen and manager are racists.

Comment

https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...orbans-hungary

Brexiters now march with the toxic conspiracies of Orbán’s Hungary
                              Nick Cohen

Comment

Originally posted by Lucy Waterman View Post
                                I think the statement could have been made a year ago, but it's still good. Suspect Lansman may have been involved? He's supposed to be good on this stuff.
                                He is Jewish, from a fairly Orthodox background and has described being beaten up as a teenager for being Jewish.

As someone who is of Jewish heritage I find commenting on the mural the most disturbing thing I’ve encountered in the many allegations about Corbyn.

I am though far more concerned about the Conservative Party being allied with the Polish Law & Justice Party in the European Parliament & until 2015 with the AfD . I am also concerned about Nick Timothy’s article accusing George Soros running a secret conspiracy to undermine Brexit& Theresa May’s speech, doubtless written by Timothy about the “citizen of the world being a citizen of nowhere “

I am also concerned that the BBC now regularly invites Sebastian Gorka and Steve Bannon on their shows.

Comment

I am also concerned that the BBC now regularly invites Sebastian Gorka and Steve Bannon on their shows.
                                  Absolutely.

Comment

These people didn't give a fucking shit about this before 2016.
                                    The mural story was picked up in 2015 originally.

https://www.thejc.com/news/uk-news/d...emitic-1.62106

Comment

I can remember concerns about AS tolerance within StWC being discussed on here certainly as far back as 2005.

Comment

Last edited by Tubby Isaacs; 26-03-2018, 22:12.

Comment

Originally posted by Tubby Isaacs View Post
                                          Probably for the best I retired my Michael O'Hehir impression.
                                          How on earth do you even know who that is?

Comment

The 1967 Grand National, I presume

Comment

I'm not even going to ask how you know who he is

Comment

It's an iconic bit of sporting commentary

Comment

I thought you were going to say that one of the collective was at the pologrounds in 47. Looking up when O hehir was born I was surprised to see that RTE's first outside sporting broadcast was in 1926, which isn't very long after they started in the US, and before the BBC by over a year. my dad remembers as a small child everyone in their village going over to the house in the village that had a crystal set, which made an 11 year old me furious at the tone of the stories about villages of cameroonians gathering around a single tv.

Apparently O'Hehir was an unimpeachable god in Ireland, for his incredibly exciting commentaries of matches more eventful than the band of brothers Battle of the Bulge episode. This reputation took a bit of a hammering with the invention of the transistor radio which allowed people at the matches listen to the commentary, and people suddenly realized that there was a significant gap between what they could see, and what he was describing. The thing that surprised me about Tubby knowing about him is that most people of about our age don't really remember him, because he had a stroke in 85 and I don't think I ever heard him commentate live.

have we managed to move the focus of this thread away from the unpleasantness of the labour leadership yet?
                                                  Last edited by The Awesome Berbaslug!!!; 26-03-2018, 23:47.

Comment

I think that every developed country had at least one guy like that.

We had a whole generation of people "re-creating" baseball games from telegraph reports which allowed for massive embellishment. That was one of the ways Ronald Reagan paid the bills before he went to Hollywood. He was of course a natural at a job that required little grasp on reality.

The fact that broadcasting was never a nationalised thing here meant that we had a lot of regional grandees of this sort.

I did commentary on proper football for the university radio station and was anything but histrionic. Our audience was also almost certainly smaller than the group around the village crystal set.
                                                    Last edited by ursus arctos; 27-03-2018, 00:00.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X