No announcement yet.

Corb Blimey!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It’s all about tone I suppose. This could hurt him a bit, or maybe nowt. Probably will depend on the next few weeks. But this is the kind of line the Tories will seek to exploit till there has to be an election.

Comment

Thornberry much stronger sounding.

Comment

She's fucking awful too, mind.

Comment

What would 'being hard on Russia' actually entail? A cock-waving contest that Britain would be humiliated in? Actual military action? Sanctions (I'd be fine with some of those)? Interesting, also, to note among the EDM's Labour signatories an MP who has always insisted that she won't sign any early day motions. Funny, that.

Of course Putin's killed many thousands more in Syria than he ever will in Britain but no one much minds about that.

Comment

Originally posted by Tubby Isaacs View Post
            Thornberry much stronger sounding.
            I wonder about the word 'strong' in much of the media discourse (not in your comment, just riffing); I think it implies that bellicosity and ominous-sounding words is a sign of strength, and waiting for evidence/following protocol is weak - it's the sort of macho, insular politics that puts my teeth on edge.

By the way, does anyone know why those 23 new intelligence agents were only identified this week? I've looked around, and can't find the rationale.

Comment

Originally posted by E10 Rifle View Post
              What would 'being hard on Russia' actually entail? A cock-waving contest that Britain would be humiliated in?
              Watching a BBC profile on Uncle Volodya the other day I was surprised to see a psychology professor from Dublin University interviewed. He was saying in not so many words that VP was clearly rather a Menshevik in the trousers department

Comment

Originally posted by Tubby Isaacs View Post
                They didn't have to go out on a limb, just find a helpful statement and not brief anonymously. They have a point, and we've brought the Brexit isolation on ourselves.
                That's your take on it but French officials will have seen it as going out on a limb, for the reasons I stated in my post #6777. As explained in this Independent article put online this afternoon. [...] But for France, the stakes of alienating Russia are simply higher.

Comment

Ever wondered how corrupt this country is?

Here’s former Chancellor of the Exchequer smearing the leader of the Opposition as being in Russia’s pocket in a paper owned by the oligarch son of a former KGB man.

Osborne met corrupt associates of Putin Oleg Derispaka five times to discuss funding for the Conservative Party
                  And as Chancellor helped City of London become a safe haven for dirty Russian cash

What scum they are.

https://twitter.com/george_osborne/status/974245438466543622

Comment

See, I saw that cartoon being Corbin being inside the empty shell of Putin, and thereby controlling him. So it's not a very successful cartoon.

Comment

In Corbyn's latest, he backs the expulsion of diplomats and would like further action on tackling Russian elite money laundering. It's not a particularly poodle-like stance, whatever else it might be.

Comment

I got so angry I just rang the standard news desk saying that I had information about a senior British politician trying repeatedly to get money from an associate of Putin's and were they interested?

They were. So I told them.

Comment

Thornberry and Griffiths might have nudged him along a bit, but fair enough.

I was reminded today that we put in our Article 50 an incredibly crass comment about how we shouldn't be alienated because security.

Comment

Originally posted by Nefertiti2 View Post
                            I got so angry I just rang the standard news desk saying that I had information about a senior British politician trying repeatedly to get money from an associate of Putin's and were they interested?

They were. So I told them.
                            Very good.

Comment

Did Corbyn support expelling the diplomats yesterday?

Comment

Where does that thing about sending a sample to Russia being "correct protocol" come from?

Comment

No. Though I wonder if this was because his speech was a general pre-written response to May's actions, and whether he would have known what she was planning. He's not too quick-thinking.

I don't think it was mentioned in his Facebook post later either.

Comment

Originally posted by TonTon View Post
                                    Where does that thing about sending a sample to Russia being "correct protocol" come from?
                                    the Chemical Weapons Convention

Comment

It's a big convention. Any more detailed clues?

Comment

It’s implemented by the Organisation for the Prohibition of Chemical Weapons

There’s a link in their website. Was googling not taught in activist meetings?

Comment

WHERE

DOES

IT

SAY

THAT

THE

UK

GOVERNMENT

NEEDS

TO

SEND

A

SAMPLE

TO

RUSSIA?

Comment

Article 54 seems to cover it - "the inspected state party has the right to retain portions of the sample or request duplicate samples, and be present when samples are analysed on site"
                                            Last edited by HeavyDracula; 15-03-2018, 21:19.

Comment

Originally posted by HeavyDracula View Post
                                              Article 54 seems to cover it - "the inspected state party has the right to retain portions of the sample or request duplicate samples, and be present when samples are analysed on site"
                                              Russia haven't made that request, have they?

This whole thing seems hideous, btw. A German expert quoted in Die Welt suggest that everyone exposed to novichok in Salisbury will die.

Comment

Originally posted by Lucy Waterman View Post
                                                Russia haven't made that request, have they?

This whole thing seems hideous, btw. A German expert quoted in Die Welt suggest that everyone exposed to novichok in Salisbury will die.
                                                I presume making that request comes with an admission of guilt.

Comment

I thought that Russia did ask to be sent it, and Corbyn asked May whether she had responded. But it's all gone quiet on that front since then.

Comment

I don't quite see how Article 54 does that, and others who are more familiar with CWC processes seem to be saying similar. But thanks for answering.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X