Corb Blimey!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Corb Blimey!

Eagle First Secretary of State sounds like a senior US government position with responsibility for jingoism.

Comment

Corb Blimey!

Will he still be around to fight the next election? The best tweet I've seen on this said 'And in another year we get to do it all again.'

Comment

Corb Blimey!

TonTon wrote: Anyway, look - the four big jobs are the four big jobs. You should want to change that and you should try to change that but you should not try to justify your man's selections by trying to pretend it isn't true.
        I don't know if you are pointing that at me but I was pointing out that, whoever the leader, I think of education and health as bloody important jobs and, considering the occupants of those positions in the past, it seemed like others did as well.

I've been thinking about the chronology of the day and Eagles' appointment as stand-in for PMQs and the education appointment do seem hastily made and political. It maybe that these are Watson decisions and, in a sense, that is what he is there to do. In the TV footage, he has looked like Corbyn's minder in many senses of the word.

Comment

Corb Blimey!

TonTon wrote: I still say, by the way, fair play to the Labourites for all this. What bugs the hell out of me is those soi-disant revolutionaries who have suspended all critical faculties because "OOH SHINY". Like they did with SYRIZA.
          Yeah, agree with this. Still unconvinced a doomed Corbyn leadership won't be a distraction from useful stuff.

Think "becoming Prime Minister" needs to come roughly as low down Corbyn's priorities as it does mine if he's to achieve anything of any use.

Comment

Corb Blimey!

A lot of the point of Corbyn's leadership will indeed be to widen the discussion about what is politically possible, even if we lose an election. In the long term that has potential to do a lot of good for society, and, as it happens, the Labour party.

The trouble with the argument that "you can't achieve anything if you're not in power" is that it's not true and it's depressingly defeatist. People didn't wait to win a general election before seeing off the poll tax. This year's general election made the limitations of what mainstream Westminster politics can achieve depressingly clear.

Comment

Corb Blimey!

mmm, indeed.

I think it's fair to say the UKIP pressured Cameron into announcing the EU referendum with influence rather than power. Certainly Westminster power anyway.

Comment

Corb Blimey!

http://www.morningstaronline.co.uk/a-0dd2-The-left-rolls-up-its-sleeves#.VffPhBlwbqA

The Morning Star made a similar point yesterday. That Corbyn's win represents a victory - a huge one - for the Left over Blairism within the Labour party itself. But moreover it now means that the party is once again joined to the wider left wing movement, including trade unions, pressure groups etc. And it's the combination of these, with a strong voice in parliament, that must be used to defeat "the most vicious ruling-class assault for decades".

Comment

Corb Blimey!

It has also reconnected to the other political parties that put forward a case at the last election to fight the austerity agenda.

Comment

Corb Blimey!

My wife recommended an Aga-saga bildungsroman set on the Yorkshire- Durham borders.

Middlebrow?

No, Darlington.

Comment

Corb Blimey!

Corbyn gets elected, North Korea restarts its nuclear weapons programme? Coincidence? You decide.

Comment

Corb Blimey!

Hey, don't be going off-topic just as Duncan was getting this thread back on track.

Comment

Corb Blimey!

I was saying that I would leave any rejoining Labour until I saw how much Corbyn was monstered by the Blairites but I didn't really know how they would do it. I think there is a definition emerging.

Good: challenging Corbyn on policy and the make-up of the shadow cabinet.

Bad: doing the Telegraph's job for them but asking about fucking poppies.

Comment

Corb Blimey!

Can't speak for everybody, but my female friends and I prefer that the right person be appointed to the job, rather than have tokenism. "Diane ticks two boxes, let's make her Shadow Home Secretary." There's a level playing field and I'm sure women will end up in the "top" jobs at some point.

Health, Education and Defence are not "soft" jobs.

Comment

Corb Blimey!

.. and, what's most great about the Corbyn victory is not Corbyn himself, but the fact that people are waking up and realising they don't have to defer to Eton bullies on everything. A posh voice and suit does not make you clevererer.

The more the Tory press are shoving anti-Corbyn propaganda down people's throats, the more they seem to be rooting for him and others on the Left, and that can only be a good thing, however things develop in the next few years. The propaganda is so blindingly obvious and the Tories look like the bunch of cunts they are.

It's also proved wrong all the people who were saying "they're all the same". All politicians are clearly not the same.

Working-class deference has played a huge part in holding us back.

Comment

Corb Blimey!

Corbyn doesn't wear a suit and gave his victory speech without a tie. This is excellent. Never trust anyone in a suit. Estate agents wear suits. Bankers wear suits. Politicians wear suits. Fuck all of those people.

He's doomed of course. One of his first acts was to publicly - and hilariously (That Veruca Salt "Why won't you talk to meeeeeee?" whine neatly summed up the state of the media today) piss of Murdoch and Sky. There's no way back from that. But who cares? I think what Corbyn has done has energised and motivated a lot of people who had either long since stopped caring, or never cared in the first place. That's a decent platform.

Saturday was a good day. Corbyn, FC United, and Big United all won. Furthermore I had a second date and it went well. Maybe that's as good as it will get for the next five years, who knows. But if it is, at least I made sure I rinsed every morsel of enjoyment out of it that I could.

Comment

Corb Blimey!

Wow. You know third date is, you know ...

Comment

Corb Blimey!

I know. I'm going to wear a tie.

Comment

Corb Blimey!

But nothing else? Could work

Comment

Corb Blimey!

Harry Secombe in Doctor In Trouble unpleasant eyeworm...

Comment

Corb Blimey!

Yesterday, I got to pontificate on facebook about a shadow cabinet picked by Jeremy Corbyn, and make a load of Eagles puns at the same time. My life is pretty much complete, all downhill from here.

Comment

Corb Blimey!

It will surprise nobody to hear that the Mail has used this photo from the TUC conference today, though not in their "Corbyn insults war veterans by refusing to sing God Save The Queen' (yes, honest!) story.

Comment

Corb Blimey!

Oh the humanity

You would think that the Mail would be a bit more careful about Nazi allusions.

Comment

Corb Blimey!

They didn't actually make the allusion, possibly because they were conflicted on the whole issue.

Comment

Corb Blimey!

I'd think the choice of photo was enough.

Comment

Corb Blimey!

It's MINE FUHRER all over again. They never do this the other way round, do they? Like say, if someone gets a shot of David Cameron with his arm extended upwards, making a fist - for instance if Aston Villa have just scored against West Ham, or vice versa. You don't get the Mirror or whoever, trying to paint him as a Commie diehard.

"IT'S CAM-MAO-RON"

Comment

Working...
                                                    X