• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
    How wasn’t this found before?
    That's bugging me too. Very odd.

Comment

I find it odd that Smith has been sacked now - of all times, whod'a thunk it? - whilst Diane Abbott, who said more or less the same things back in November (?), remains on the front bench.

How strange.

Comment

In other news, this is what the Tories are doing at the moment.

The flyer, produced by Conservatives in Havering, on the eastern edge of Greater London, warns that if Labour win in May’s local polls, it would result in “Havering resembling boroughs like Hackney, Newham, Camden and Barking, rather than traditional parts of Essex”.

Other warnings on the leaflet, which features the three local Conservative councillors and Andrew Rosindell, the local Tory MP, include the claim that a Labour win would mean “Havering ruled by Mayor Khan”.

This would lead Romford, the main centre in Havering to “become increasingly like an inner-city area” with “our cherished union jack flag being taken down – back to Labour’s political correctness”, it said.
        Sadiq Khan is not up for election. Nor do Havering have responsibility for immigration.

Comment

Genuinely, my admiration for Owen Smith has grown today. He couldn't keep quiet about something he believes, and has been prepared to sacrifice his ministerial career for that principle.

That said, when I read his article this morning I thought 'he can't keep pushing this as a member of the ShadCab, can he?'. Turns out he couldn't, and rightly so.

Comment

No element of burying some incredibly bad news, then?

Comment

Originally posted by Toby Gymshorts View Post
              I find it odd that Smith has been sacked now - of all times, whod'a thunk it? - whilst Diane Abbott, who said more or less the same things back in November (?), remains on the front bench.

How strange.
              Smith's gone beyond policy a few times, in fairness. In other circumstances, you'd say, fair enough, they need to run a tight ship. But given that Corbyn and allies ran in the General Election on not agreeing with defence policy, we're not in those circumstances. It actually worked pretty well for Labour, that all sides would be represented in discussions. Just like I think it would be good for Labour if Smith were allowed to be dissenting on something a lot of members/voters were worried about.

There might be more to it than we know now.

Comment

What bad news?

Comment

Originally posted by johnr View Post
                  Genuinely, my admiration for Owen Smith has grown today. He couldn't keep quiet about something he believes, and has been prepared to sacrifice his ministerial career for that principle.

That said, when I read his article this morning I thought 'he can't keep pushing this as a member of the ShadCab, can he?'. Turns out he couldn't, and rightly so.
                  Yeah, you've certainly got a point there. Was it hurting Labour though? Wouldn't lots of members/voters look at that and think "glad Smith's pushing that"?

Comment

Corbyn's antisemitism? Timing being all, when a damaging story emerges, deflect by making a relatively high-profile sacking.

I'm done with Labour.

Comment

Originally posted by Tubby Isaacs View Post
                      In other news, this is what the Tories are doing at the moment.

Sadiq Khan is not up for election. Nor do Havering have responsibility for immigration.
                      Fuck sake not even a dog whistle. No need for the BNP or UKIP now.

Comment

Corbyn's antisemitism? Timing being all, when a damaging story emerges, deflect by making a relatively high-profile sacking.

I'm done with Labour.
                        Gotcha. I think the sacking is in response to the article that was printed today. So not linked.

As for 'Corbyn's anti-semitism'. I've just seen his latest statement - can't link, as want to go back to watching England run quickly in different directions to no great purpose - and it was definitely needed. As I've said before, I don't think he's the brightest, and he's certainly given his enemies an example of pig-ignorance when it comes to social media and context. But he's not anti-semitic (and a side note is that the mural he was referencing positively commemorated the jewish fight against the anti-fascists), although I know we won't agree on this.

Comment

There never has been in Romford, with Rosindell. He was one of those dragged out of the Monday Club by notorious modernizing leader, Iain Duncan Smith.

Comment

Originally posted by Lang Spoon View Post
                            Fuck sake not even a dog whistle. No need for the BNP or UKIP now.
                            They didn't need them in Romford, with Rosindell. He was one of those dragged out of the Monday Club by notorious modernizing leader, Iain Duncan Smith.

Comment

Thanks for the considered response, John, and you're right, we won't agree. However I'm going to drop it because life's too short and you're a decent bloke.

All the best.

(No snark intended, genuinely.)

Comment

What Toby said.

New statement.

"I sincerely regret that I did not look more closely at the image I was commenting on, the contents of which are deeply disturbing and anti-Semitic. I wholeheartedly support its removal."
                                I don't actually find that implausible. He looks quickly, thinks that's a graffiti artist sticking it to the man, and gives his story about Lenin.

At best though, he's seriously accident prone and somebody who isn't needs to be found. And deplorable standard of Comms from his team.

Comment

Back to the Tories.

Earlier this month, Nadine Dorries, the Conservative MP, quoted a tweet by the mayor [Sadiq Khan] calling for action on hate speech, saying: “How about, ‘it’s time to act on sex abusing grooming gangs,’ instead?” adding tags related to the abuse scandals in Telford and Rotherham.
                                  Sadiq Khan's inaction causing rape in Telford.

What can she mean?

Comment

Comment

Oh Rosindell moaning about Havering being in danger of becoming "part of Sadiq Khan's inner London", this is his explanation.

"Havering is a very happy community with almost no racial tensions,” he said. “If Labour are attempting to deliberately misinterpret campaigns against the mayor’s policies on closing police stations and high-density building as a race issue then they should be ashamed in doing so"
                                      Compared with the previous mayor, who never approved any high-density building or closed down police stations.

Comment

Whoever wins Havering elections won't be deciding on police station closures, of course.

Comment

Thanks for the considered response, John, and you're right, we won't agree. However I'm going to drop it because life's too short and you're a decent bloke.

All the best.

(No snark intended, genuinely.)
                                          Absolutely no snark taken, have a good evening.

Comment

You too.

Comment

Originally posted by Tubby Isaacs View Post
                                              Corbyn's been found on Facebook defending an antisemitic mural in 2012 now. Woeful apology from spokesman too.

Leadership challenge needed.
                                              Unless I am missing something massive, he did not defend the mural.

The artist posted on Facebook that the mural was being removed. Corbyn asked the artist him why.

Is there more than Corbyn's "Why? You are in good company. Rockerfeller destroyed Diego Viera’s mural because it includes a picture of Lenin." comment?
                                              Last edited by Lurgee; 24-03-2018, 03:13. Reason: Because 'misisng' is not a word, though it probably should be.

Comment

No element of burying some incredibly bad news, then?
                                                Probably not, no. It would be a ham-fisted and obvious way to distract attention. Too familiar. Also its repercussions would be more serious than the latest cry-wolf nonsense over the mural. I'm pretty sure even Corbyn and his advisers could work that out.

Sometimes a sacking is just a sacking.

Comment

Originally posted by Lurgee View Post
                                                  Unless I am missing something massive, he did not defend the mural.

The artist posted on Facebook that the mural was being removed. Corbyn asked the artist him why.

Is there more than Corbyn's "Why? You are in good company. Rockerfeller destroyed Diego Viera’s mural because it includes a picture of Lenin." comment?
                                                  No, that's all there is.

Saying the artist is "in good company" sounds like he's defending him, to me. I accept the explanation that he didn't look at the mural, as I say.

Comment

I'm sure all Jewish people in Britain will be happy with that explanation too. Nothing to see here.

Meanwhile, Corbyn supports Brexit in the teeth of opposition from the majority both of Labour MPs and of Labour party rank and file members.

Christ, he is a cunt of the first order. And, for all the smugness following Theresa May's catastropic election campaign in 2017, it's obvious to any half-sane person that a half-way electable Labour Party would have won a landslide against the hopeless Maybot. We'll see Tory goverment beyond 2022 at this rate.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X