• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wales revalued in 2003.

Comment

New frontbench appointments.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics...bour-reshuffle

I do wish Labour would stop talking about "government in waiting".

Comment

They’ve got a shadow minister for buses. Cool.

I think it’s good to talk about a government in waiting. Reminds people there’s an alternative. They’re not given air time anyway. Not on the bbc anyway, which yet again had a progress apparatchik attacking momentum. They don’t get on the radio the news the political discussion programmes, or if they do they’re always outnumbered.

Comment

The shadow minister for buses is indeed good.

Comment

I'm still surprised that Labour aren't focussing more on projects they'd get done if they were elected. Investment is the biggest single reason to vote for them, and I had in mind even when I was wavering in May, so why not follow that with having McDonnell or Corbyn or whoever going round the country saying "You'll get this built, quickly". The Infrastructure Commission should be a good source for this stuff.

Comment

I have no idea what Labour Ministers are saying as they go round the country. How could I as It's not reported. I occasionally read what Corbyn tweets. He was in Swindon the other day talking about hospitals. They only make the media when there's something that some Tory thinks is a gaffe. Or the BBC which is more or less the same thing. This government is on life support, because the Tories are terrified of an election, but can't do anything because it's hopelessly split and almost entirely without talent. Should any election happen the Labour Party members will crush the Tories, with social media and shoe leather . Last election I called potential Labout voters, almost entirely without hope, but just because I couldn't bear to let those bastards win without a fight. I laid into an old man with a big blue rosette on the tube asking if he wasn't ashamed to see so many rough sleepers. he must be old enoguh to remember a time when Tories thought it was importamt that people had affordable housing This time I know that the Daily Mail can do its worst, 18 pages of lies on election day- and the Tory majority dropped. I know A Labour victory is within our grasp and I will do everything in my power to ensure it happens- and so will have a million others.

Comment

So what are the bits of infrastructure that'll get done?

Comment

Make your suggestions here

in a democratic party members make policy.

Welcome to Labour's online home of policy development and ideas, where you can take part in our open and democratic policy-making process. Whether you're a Labour Party member or not, we want to hear your ideas on how the next Labour government should tackle the challenges our country faces, and build a more equal and prosperous Britain.

Comment

(That's if any infrastructure project survives the imminent collapse of Carillion of course)

Aditya Chakrabortty as so often is very good on this.

Comment

Where do I make a democratic vote for staying in the Single Market?

That article is hopeless.

Comment

Ask some rail journalists about Chakraborty's stuff about VTEC.

And this bit.

The dirty secret of PFI and all government attempts to pass public services into the private realm is that the shareholders make profits while the taxpayers remain on the hook for any losses.
                        Hasn't he heard of Railtrack?

To see what this means, take the HS2 rail link, where Carillion this summer was part of a consortium that won a £1.4bn contract to knock tunnels through the Chilterns. If Carillion goes under, what happens to the largest infrastructure project in Europe? What happens to its partners on the deal, British firm Kier, and France’s Eiffage? The project will need to be put back and the taxpayer will almost certainly have to step in.
                        "The project"? Carillion are a third of one part of HS2. If they can't do it we'll relet the contract, most likely. Perhaps to the other 2 companies alone- both of them are very large.

Imagine that same catastrophe befalling dozens of other projects across the UK and you get a sense of what’s at stake. Jobs will be cut, schools will go unbuilt (just a couple of months ago, Oxfordshire county council pulled the plug on a 10-year schools project)
                        What catastrophe? Where?

Oxfordshire cancelled that project he mentions to save cash. Neither of the contractors went bankrupt.

the government’s entire private finance initiative (PFI) model for building this country’s essential services will be shaken to the core.
                        We can get rid of the contracts then. Like we already have with some PFIs, and saved money.
                        Last edited by Tubby Isaacs; 12-01-2018, 22:19.

Comment

I don't know any rail journalists. If you have a particular article you think is inaccurate, please explain why you think so. And maybe not using abbreviations used by industry insiders like "VTEC' would make your arguments easier to follow to the layperson.

Comment

Tim Fenton is good on this.

http://zelo-street.blogspot.co.uk/20...out-wasnt.html

Comment

Originally posted by Tubby Isaacs View Post
                              Where do I make a democratic vote for staying in the Single Market?

That article is hopeless.
                              It's not a voting platform Tubbs. You can make suggestions.

Comment

I'd venture that the leadership is already familiar with the issue, and the feelings of very many members.

Comment

Government in waiting latest.

What's your policy on the EU, Keir Starmer?
                                  We're not the government, and we'll respond to what they come up with.

Comment

Sensible Grown-up Decent Richard Angell from Progress weaponises a murdered baby from a decade ago to make a (really rubbish) point.

It gets harder and harder to be comradely to and about people like this.

Comment

Originally posted by Tubby Isaacs View Post
                                      Government in waiting latest.

What's your policy on the EU, Keir Starmer?
                                      We're not the government, and we'll respond to what they come up with.
                                      Personally I think that's the right line. The Tories are on the point of collapse. When they do is the time to try and in my view get a left non_Brexot, which needs concessions from the EU on some of the most extreme neoliberal Schäuble positions as well as fighting austerity at home. Can Corbyn and co pull it off? who knows- perhaps, with our help.

Comment

Originally posted by E10 Rifle View Post
                                        Sensible Grown-up Decent Richard Angell from Progress weaponises a murdered baby from a decade ago to make a (really rubbish) point.

It gets harder and harder to be comradely to and about people like this.
                                        Same here. I think the tweet may be a little misguided, though maybe not 'weaponised' as such. (That's being generous though, as his actual argument is bollocks, see here.) Fwiw, I run the local Labour ward Twitter account, and I really try and reflect all sides as much as I can, taking into account the local delegate count. But it's hard not to call Angell etc out, 'on behalf of', well, common sense.

Comment

Interesting election study. No Corbyn surge in youth turnout. What was achieved was getting out votes across the age groups.

I think there's probably a few more youth votes to be added. Very promising.

Comment

High Court has granted permission to campaigners including Professor Stephen Hawking to proceed with judicial review against Health Secretary Jeremy Hunt and NHS England challenging introduction of accountable care organisations (ACOs) into NHS

Comment

We could do with a dedicated NHS thread really.

Comment

Unfortunately, anti-trans arseholes in the Labour Party are making trouble for trans women members, setting up a fundraiser to mount a legal challenge to the inclusion of trans women on all-woman shortlists and in women's spaces. Details here, including how members can support trans comrades.

Comment

The woman behind the fundraiser, Jennifer James, has been suspended from the party for tweeting "WOMEN DON'T HAVE DICKS" (caps hers).

Comment

And also for antisemitic social media activity.

More amusingly, she's the one who tweeted about "Wes Streeting's secret Stalinist squirrels."

Comment

Working...
                                                    X