No announcement yet.

Corb Blimey!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Last edited by Tubby Isaacs; 23-06-2018, 15:42.

Comment

I'd be surprised if they'd even run analysis of current ports for a no deal Brexit.

Stuff like this and HS2 (at least phase 1) going ahead give me some confidence on Brexit because the Treasury under Hammond wouldn't be signing it off. That might be optimistic of me.

Comment

Pangloss Himself

Comment

I've got some faith in Hammond in a funny sort of way. He's a grim Tory dry, but I don't think he lightly signs off £15 billion for airports and whatever the cost of HS2 phase one is. There's no way Grayling gets to decide on Heathrow because he wants a "vote of confidence in global Britain".

Comment

Going out canvassing tonight for the first time - anybody got any tips?

Comment

Don't waste time trying to convince people who already have decided.

Comment

Close the gate (if they have a gate) after you and smile at children and pets.

Comment

If the canvassing is set up correctly by your CLP, you shouldn't be given any doors to knock on who is a known Tory (they should have the data on this), particularly first time. Hopefully you'll be teamed up with a more experienced canvasser too. Many pages back on this thread, it was my first go too - it was actually quite enjoyable (and I managed to help turn 2 Greens, and one UKIP, to Labour, which made it very satisfying).

Comment

6 PMQs on bus regulation today, apparently. Labour has good policies on this, but I expect they already do well where they'll make most difference (cities outside London, working class large towns where lots don't have cars).

"Tory business suicide" and "this is what we'll do instead" is the one surely?

Comment

Originally posted by HeavyDracula View Post
                      Good luck. I admire anyone who does it. You'll be good too.

Comment

Actually Northampton (X2) could be the sort of seat buses could help swing. Go for it.

Comment

6 PMQs on bus regulation today, apparently. Labour has good policies on this, but I expect they already do well where they'll make most difference (cities outside London, working class large towns where lots don't have cars).
                          I caught some of this, and apart from my ears bleeding through the unbearable attempts of all and sundry to pretend to care about football, Corbyn did reasonably well, in a dour low-key way. And a good choice of emphasis, because whether it wins votes in target seats or not, kicking off about buses being shit is more important for Labour's people than kicking off about trains.

And May's response was lamentable. "Don't blame me, blame your local council."

Comment

Ask questions, be humble. Don't hector but be honest and firm about what you do believe in. And don't worry. I find it nerve-wracking but people are alright really, in the main.

Comment

I see Corbyn asking questions about buses (ha ha! Buses! What provincial peasants and un-people catch!) has wound up various media commentators and unfunny sketch writers. Makes me even gladder he focused on it.

Comment

Originally posted by E10 Rifle View Post
                                Ask questions, be humble. Don't hector but be honest and firm about what you do believe in. And don't worry. I find it nerve-wracking but people are alright really, in the main
                                Good luck HD. If possible try not have an opposition party leader doing likewise in the next street

Comment

Originally posted by E10 Rifle View Post
                                  I see Corbyn asking questions about buses (ha ha! Buses! What provincial peasants and un-people catch!) has wound up various media commentators and unfunny sketch writers. Makes me even gladder he focused on it.
                                  Provincial peasants and un-people need jobs to go to on the bus. Their employers are being egregiously fucked about by the Government.

Comment

Hang on, where was "Will the Prime Minister sack Esther McVey for misleading Parliament?"? Or did that story break too late?

Comment

You wait ages for a PMQ about a bus and then...

Comment

Originally posted by Tubby Isaacs View Post
                                        Hang on, where was "Will the Prime Minister sack Esther McVey for misleading Parliament?"? Or did that story break too late?
                                        That was for the ministerial statement afterwards. The bus thing tied in with a nationwide Labour campaign, of a sort.

Comment

This is a good point - it's not about the Westminster lobby reaction https://twitter.com/DawnHFoster/stat...74516398043137

Comment

Originally posted by Duncan Gardner View Post
                                            Good luck HD. If possible try not have an opposition party leader doing likewise in the next street
                                            The Tories posted their schedule on an open Facebook page and we were down to meet at the same time and place. We’ve shifted things around because who needs 2 people knocking on the same night?

Thanks for the advice, guys - i’ll report back!

Comment

Originally posted by johnr View Post
                                              This is a good point - it's not about the Westminster lobby reaction https://twitter.com/DawnHFoster/stat...74516398043137
                                              How many people are listening though, in the world "beyond Westminster"? He won Kensington and lost Mansfield. What he's done very well is recruit and inspire party members who can make stuff like bus policy work locally, like the old Lib Dems did (except be more honest, and not create shitstorms over perfectly sensible rationalisation). But does he cut through personally on this stuff? I don't think he does.

The way the government is going, we'll be lucky to afford any buses before long. Like I always say, you have to tie money for buses (I know it's not just about money on buses) with the big economic stuff.

Comment

But I will always be grateful for Corbyn keeping these goons out.

Blue Labour
                                                ‏ @blue_labour
                                                Follow Follow @blue_labour
                                                More
                                                Do you want to go to a Labour event which accepts Brexit and puts forward a positive left vision of life outside the EU...? Well have we got the thing for you. Blue Labour London are running an event on July 3rd - details in the link!
                                                "Vision".

Comment

"Left"

Comment

They talk a bit of left on public ownership, trade unions, don't they? I'd be surprised if they really thought that.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X