No announcement yet.

Corb Blimey!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's the sort of thing that's always being looked at by somebody. Would be interesting to see how much "official" party time was being given to it. I doubt much was under Milliband. Huge call either way, I'll respect what they decide.

Comment

There's a National Policy Forum consultation process going on right now – I'll try to track it, and if I get the chance, raise it.

Comment

Cheers.

Comment

Tickets for that Labour Live do tomorrow (mentioned earlier in the thread) have now been reduced to a tenner - though if anyone is interested in attending I suspect you'll get in for free if you turn up.

Comment

We went along to that. It was neither the non-attended flop that the sneerers wanted, nor the critics-defying mobbed-out Proof Of Our Movement On The March some of the more enthusiastic Twitter boosterists have claimed. It was, however, a nice afternoon with like-minded friends, with music, interesting discussions, places for the kids to play and stuff to eat and drink. They over-reached themselves in how they promoted it and planned it –*invoking Glastonbury was a bad mistake; it was more like a more youthful Tolpuddle Festival. Which is a good thing.

Comment

Originally posted by E10 Rifle View Post
              We went along to that. It was neither the non-attended flop that the sneerers wanted, nor the critics-defying mobbed-out Proof Of Our Movement On The March some of the more enthusiastic Twitter boosterists have claimed. It was, however, a nice afternoon with like-minded friends, with music, interesting discussions, places for the kids to play and stuff to eat and drink. They over-reached themselves in how they promoted it and planned it –*invoking Glastonbury was a bad mistake; it was more like a more youthful Tolpuddle Festival. Which is a good thing.
              it was across the road from me, so, Bill Shankley style, I shut the curtains (or rather, went to the prison abolition conference instead).

I find the juxtaposition between the internal image labour and its supporters present with labour's actual stated policy positions - none more jarring than an ice-cream van invoking the internationalism of the Communist Manifesto staffed by someone who calls for more controls on migrant workers, or a stand selling acab notepads to people who presumably twelve months ago weren't pounding doorsteps promising 20,000 more bastards.

Comment

I had a free ticket but was knackered from the night before and couldn’t get anyone to come with me (as there were things going on that looked more fun than the Magic Numbers and Clean Bandit).

Still, something for Labour to learn from, event management-wise. Lily Allen would have played if approached in good time, as it was she had another gig.

Comment

I look forward to E10's selfie with Trace...er Jezza

Magic Numbers and Balkan Balalaikist Goran Bregovic (Ad Hoc was at his recent Transylvanian gig). It's good to know that musically I'm still down with the Indie er, kids
                  Last edited by Duncan Gardner; 17-06-2018, 10:25.

Comment

Best Labour poll for a while.

Britain Elects

@britainelects
                    14h14 hours ago
                    More
                    Westminster voting intention:

LAB: 41% (+2)
                    CON: 38% (-1)
                    LDEM: 11% (+1)
                    UKIP: 4% (-)
                    GRN: 2% (-1)

via @BMGResearch, 05 - 08 Jun
                    Chgs. w/ 04 May

Comment

Noob/outsider question: could the LDEMs form a coalition with the Torries in order to block Labour?

Comment

Originally posted by linus View Post
                        Noob/outsider question: could the LDEMs form a coalition with the Torries in order to block Labour?
                        Blocking Labour is not an end for itself for the Lib Dems. If the arithmetic was such that a coalition was possible with either then they would probably negotiate with both. Brexit would make it much harder for them to come to an agreement with either though than it would have been before and the line before 2017 was no coalitions.

Comment

Richard Murphy properly got the hump with Labour. McDonnell having commissioned a report with some ideas about boosting productivity is apparently a disastrous sell out.

http://www.taxresearch.org.uk/Blog/2...d-anti-labour/

Includes genius like this.

We have seen decades of overall rising productivity in our economies, but with the vast majority of that gain going to capital. The result has been increasing inequality, rising corporate profits, and increasing relative poverty and there is nothing whatsoever in this new target that reverses that situation.
                          Relative poverty hasn't actually increased. It needs to be coming down, and maybe (shock) McDonnell might have other policies to do that?

Labour are well rid of him.

Comment

I don't get the impression he's much missed

Comment

Yeah, he's a tedious "my willy is more radical than your willy" type. McDonnell is the Shadow Chancellor, so of course he's going to be mindful of not frightening horses while he tries out ideas.

Talking of McDonnell, think he might have overstepped the mark a bit with this.

John McDonnell MP

Verified account

@johnmcdonnellMP
                              Follow Follow @johnmcdonnellMP
                              Monday’s vote on Heathrow expansion isn’t just about the 10,000 people whose homes & community will be destroyed or the poisoning of the air we breathe but also whether MPs are serious about saving our planet from the devastating impact of climate change. I will vote against.
                              11:19 am - 21 Jun 2018
                              Whether you agree or not, this is a funny way to talk about a free vote.

Comment

Heathrow's literally in his constituency though, so you can understand him not wanting to hold off.

Comment

And he's obviously right.

Comment

That people who support expanding an airport can't be serious about climate change? He's not right. It's easily the most convenient London airport for lots of people, and will have HS2 at Old Oak Common, improved Piccadilly Line and hopefully direct trains off the GWML.

But local conditions could be intolerable, he's right about that, and it's his job to oppose.

Comment

That people who support expanding an airport can't be serious about climate change? He's not right.
                                      Yeah, he is. And I'm not sure what you following sentence says to disprove it.

Comment

It'll be news to the TUC (strong supporters of Heathrow Expansion) that they're not serious about climate change. If McDonnell really thinks that, why is he trying to get a party elected who he doesn't think are serious about climate change? Why doesn't he resign from the front bench? Can hardly be a bigger point of principle than that.

Comment

Whether or not it's news to the TUC, it's true.
                                          I can't speak for McDonnell, but I don't think him resigning from Labour's front bench would aid the fight against climate change.

Comment

Here's McDonnell backing expansion of Gatwick.

https://www.ft.com/content/bcc04bec-...a-43db76e69936

He argued that proposals by London’s Gatwick airport for a second runway were now “coming through very strongly, quietly I think, as a viable alternative” if Labour got into power in the coming months.

“You’ve got a viable alternative which actually makes more business sense and is more cost-effective,” he said. “I just don’t think Heathrow is the runner that it might have been with the governments in the past.”

Comment

Originally posted by Etienne View Post
                                              Whether or not it's news to the TUC, it's true.
                                              I can't speak for McDonnell, but I don't think him resigning from Labour's front bench would aid the fight against climate change.
                                              I don't want him to resign either because he's the most able member of the inner circle, but if the test is "me resigning won't stop something bad happening", then no politician would ever resign on any principle.

Comment

McDonnell may be hypocritical or nimbyish, but that still doesn't make his original statement inaccurate.

Comment

I wouldn't criticize him as Nimbyish. It's not like an MP opposing wind turbines because they spoil the view. No other area will get what his area will. Like Starmer with HS2 and the effect on Euston.

Maybe it's just a figure of speech, but it just seemed too strong to say people who supported it couldn't be serious about climate change.

Comment

Has anyone serious re-run the numbers on this for a no deal Brexit?

Comment

Working...
                                                    X