Morning Wireless

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Morning Wireless

For some time now I've been relying on XFM to coerce me into the working day as gently as can be reasonably expected, with Jon Holmes being reasonably inoffensive and the music passable.

Now I find there is to be a rebrand to the ominously-described-as 'male oriented' Radio X. My worst fears were confirmed this morning when I discover that the new breakfast show is to be presented by the Execrable Cretin Moyles.

So I need a new means of waking myself up in the mornings, and don't know where to turn. Alarm only? Alternative station? Clever technological solution linked to iTunes playlist?

Over to you, hive mind. Help!

Morning Wireless

Is "Execrable Cretin Moyles" his Sunday name?

Comment

Morning Wireless

There are probably plenty of women who who like the same sort of music but will be put off by the idea of a 'male orientated' station. I'd imagine it would also put off potential advertisers as well.
      It sounds like it's going to be presented and listened to by the half evolved laddish fraternity making smutty jokes and playing Oasis, the king of which is that bigoted cunt Moyles. I'll be giving it a wide berth.
      On the odd occasion I get to listen to the radio I tend to go with Beeb's 6.

Comment

Morning Wireless

I'd recommend BBC6 too. Chris Hawkins before 7, Shaun Keaveny after & no bloody adverts.

That X thing sounds dismal. Anyone else remember how bad his turd of chat show was?
        If you do, I apologise for ruining your day by making you recall it.

Comment

Morning Wireless

I'm always baffled by folk who don't get up to Radio 4.

Comment

Morning Wireless

Gangster Octopus wrote: I'm always baffled by folk who don't get up to Radio 4.
            I can't bear some concerned middle-class voice self-importantly thinking that they can do political interviews - when in reality it's a construct that is set up from the time they're all at Uni together, and which means that the more interesting interviews are on Five Live (though that's another kind of shit altogether) - occasionally interrupted by some religious twat who has painfully shoved today's issoo into some tenuous life lesson.

Comment

Morning Wireless

Christ yeah, the Today programme would have me wanting to throw things at the radio.

It would be 6 Music for me these days, though I seldom have the radio on in the mornings now.

I still miss my favourite ever breakfast show, which was Danny Baker's on the original Radio 5. Over 20 years ago now, blimey.

Comment

Morning Wireless

Do what I do: get up after nine o'clock...

Comment

Morning Wireless

I'm baffled by folk who can bear to listen to the today programme.

Radio 3 is what I listen to in the morning these days. Cerys Matthews on 6Music is good for Sunday mornings.

Comment

Morning Wireless

I haven't listened to it over the last couple of months because I've lost the cable that links my phone to my little speaker, but Amazing Radio is my station of choice.

Their business model is that they make money by selling downloads of the tracks they play - so no ads, and the DJs don't blather on too much because they need to play the tracks to sell them.

It's alternative/indie and mostly new bands, so you're not subjected to songs you're bored of. The DJs are a bit low-rent but honestly that adds to the air of 'get the music played'.

Basically it's great.

Now where did I put that cable?

Comment

Morning Wireless

To GO - The Today Programme is no good early doors if you're in the gym like wot I am.

I have Today on in the car for my commute but like Jimski it often infuriates & I find that Radio 3 helps me start work without foaming at the mouth.

Also agreed on Cerys on a Sunday morning.
                      Danny Baker is in a class all of his own on Saturday morning.
                      Johnny Vaughan on (I know, but bear with me on this) Talksport from 11 is also excellent, nicely managing to send up the station's pomp & self regard to the bafflement of some of the other correspondents & the obvious delight of others. Worth a listen.

Comment

Morning Wireless

Shaun Keaveny on Radio 6 for me. Variety of music (though slightly too much identikit indie stuff for my liking), and he's genuinely funny and appropriately low key for first thing in the morning.

Comment

Morning Wireless

I'm always baffled

That will do, GO.

Comment

Morning Wireless

Shouldn't you be in Amsterdam?

Comment

Morning Wireless

I met that John Humphries once. Earlier this year in fact. He asked me questions for a total of four and a half minutes, then told me the answers to ones I'd passed on, at which point I had to pretend to be interested.

Comment

Morning Wireless

Guy Potger wrote: Is "Execrable Cretin Moyles" his Sunday name?
                                It is indeed. It's also his Monday to Saturday name. Thanks all for the suggestions, there's a couple there I'll try out.

Politics and current affairs are not on the agenda as I can't listen to either without my blood boiling - a dangerous emotional state when one has subsequently to board the 08:06.

Comment

Morning Wireless

Same here.

Comment

Morning Wireless

Bored of Education wrote:
                                    Originally posted by Gangster Octopus
                                    Same here.
                                    But then you're probably both equally as baffled by folk who don'tllike quinoa and Cath Kidston products.

Comment

Morning Wireless

Shaun Keaveny, low key? If only.

Comment

Morning Wireless

There's lots of good stuff on Radio 4. However, the worst thing on it is the first thing on it when most people get up. The Today programme sums up most of what's wrong with British political journalism – faux-aggressive status quo-defending insubstantial shite.

Comment

Morning Wireless

I used to listen to the radio in the morning.
                                          Now I don't have time, what with my penchant for getting up at the last possible second to get me and the cub ready to go. Sleep is more important.
                                          Then it's just circular conversations with the cub until I drop him off and then podcasts or audiobooks on the way to work.

Comment

Morning Wireless

The Today programme is the most bustest flush that was ever busted. The insistence in keeping interviews short, and always doing the news on time, renders the interviews pointless.

Compare with 5 Live, where they'll happily delay the news for a few minutes if they're discussing something important. It's journalistically far stronger.

I also really like the way the presenters read the news, and both presenters do all the interviews, no matter if they're on the Northern Island peace process or Rugby League.

It's just a far more fluid and well-rounded programme than Today, which is unlistenable for me.

Comment

Morning Wireless

Sean of the Shed wrote:
                                              Originally posted by Bored of Education
                                              Originally posted by Gangster Octopus
                                              Same here.
                                              But then you're probably both equally as baffled by folk who don'tllike quinoa and Cath Kidston products.
                                              I haven't a clue what either of those things are.

Comment

Morning Wireless

The biggest shock to me about Xfm becoming the hopelessly anachronistic lad-in that will be 'Radio X' is that it's taken this long for that to happen. The station - by day, at least - has been pretty unlistenable for the past decade-plus, unless one is easily pleased by a staple diet of Kasabian, Coldplay, Muse, etc. (To think how great it was - and necessary it seemed - when it launched in 1997...)

6Music is pretty much the only alternative if one wants music of a morning, as I do. Keaveny's okay when he doesn't start singing (why do breakfast-time DJs think that they have to do that?) and has been playing some good stuff of late. True, it relies a little on eighties indie and pop, but generally it's better than most music radio of a morning.

As for Moyles, I'm amazed that anyone still touches him with a barge pole.

Comment

Morning Wireless

I suspect that Robert Smith and Chris Parry will be turning in their graves over this.
                                                  XFM was supposed to be the alternative music station London so desperately needed in the late 80s/early 90s. And now look at it.
                                                  Chris fucking Moyles.

I remember them handing out flyers lobbying for it at the Cure's Garden Party gig at Crystal Palace Bowl in 1990.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X