Balding blokes shaving their heads

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Jah Womble wrote: Some guys get MPB, whatcha gonna do? It seems to be one of those body-issue areas that remains exempt from censure to most. 'Thinness' is another - ie, you can't remark on a person being overweight, but you can remark on their being underweight. Or indeed call somebody 'baldy'. Best we get over it.
    Touchy subject for some.

Comment

Well, ditto.

A male friend is really self-conscious about his receding hairline, I think he looks fine. He wears a hat a lot, which fortunately suits him but I worry that when I rave about his hat, he takes it as "thank God you've covered that horrible head".

Comment

You could always have a number-one cut and invest in a hair tattoo.

Comment

Bored's point is important. If you've got a weird shaped head, then baldness won't ever suit.
          See, I thought that. So much that I fought the idea for ages. But then I took the plunge and got rid of it and it looks fine.

In fact I went a step further and wet shaved it after a while. Which looks much better still. It's a pain in the hole though and has to be done at least once a week which costs almost as much as haircuts in razor blades.

That said, if the technology was there, reliable and good and I had the spare money, I'd have it all put back in a second. I used to have such beautiful hair when I was younger. Lovely spiral curls.

Comment

hobbes wrote: It's a pain in the hole though and has to be done at least once a week which costs almost as much as haircuts in razor blades.
            Buy a safety razor. Razor blades cost bugger all.

Comment

My hair is thinning, but that's almost certainly due to Trichotillomania. I need an appointment at the doctors, but don't have time at the moment. I don't know how bad the damage is that I've done, but it might be too late to do anything but prevent further damage. Male pattern baldness certainly doesn't run in my family, and yeah, it's horrible. My self-esteem has always been pretty fragile, but this wasn't somethingthat I ever anticipated having to deal with. And what's more, because of the cause, it's my own fault, so that helps.

Comment

Buy a safety razor. Razor blades cost bugger all.
                Don't shave close enough. If I'm to be bald, I want to be smooth.

Comment

And what's more, because of the cause, it's my own fault, so that helps.
                  It's not though, is it? Any more than my occasional nervous twitch is my fault.
                  It might not do wonders for your self esteem, but compulsive behaviours are not a concious thing, so you have no concious control.
                  It's easy to say, but don't beat yourself up about it. it won't help you stop and it just bleeds over into other bits of your life. Try to compartmentalise it as a medical condition, not a character flaw.

Comment

hobbes wrote: Don't shave close enough.
                    Eh? Are you shitting me?

By safety razor, I mean one of these.

Comment

Heads are curvy. Safety razors are flat. Head hair (at least the non-androgenic bits around the sides) is thick and tough.

Comment

hobbes wrote: Heads are curvy. Safety razors are flat. Head hair (at least the non-androgenic bits around the sides) is thick and tough.
                        That kind of ignorance is the reason Gillette rakes in so much cash.

Mind you, when I use my safety razor, I am literally taking food out the mouths of Roger Federer's children.

Comment

Trust me. I can't even get a close enough shave with the non ball-head fusion power.
                          I'd use a safety razor with a ball head. (As long as it had at least 3 blades and a good theme tune.)

Comment

hobbes wrote: I'd use a safety razor with a ball head.
                            You don't need a swivel head--you hold the razor very lightly and use the weight of the razor.

It's a different technique and it takes a bit longer, but the shave is closer and you save a ton of cash.

Comment

Longer?! It already takes me about 20 minutes. I need two goes to get it completely smooth as it is.

Comment

Andre Agassi made it look really easy.

I'm sure if I did that, I'd slice my head clean off, like in a Terry Gilliam cartoon.

Comment

Having read his autobiography (very good BTW), the lengths he went to secure his hairpieces during tennis matches make shaving your head a no-brainer.

Comment

(Although Brooke Shields made him do it.)

Comment

Vicarious Thrillseeker wrote:
                                      Originally posted by Jah Womble
                                      Some guys get MPB, whatcha gonna do? It seems to be one of those body-issue areas that remains exempt from censure to most. 'Thinness' is another - ie, you can't remark on a person being overweight, but you can remark on their being underweight. Or indeed call somebody 'baldy'. Best we get over it.
                                      Touchy subject for some.
                                      I'm not massively fussed about my hair thinning - it's been doing so at a snail's pace for about twenty years, anyway - just curious as to why smart remarks are considered acceptable here, where they really wouldn't be elsewhere. That was my thrust, as indeed it were.

Comment

I've been doing mine with clippers for most of this century, taking the plunge once the Jim Robinson threatened to go Robert Robinson. Prefer the slight shadow from clippers without a guard to a full shave.

Generally people who mock the appearance of others are revealing more about their own neuroses than anything to do with the person commented upon.

Comment

Stumpy Pepys wrote:
                                          Originally posted by hobbes
                                          Don't shave close enough.
                                          Eh? Are you shitting me?

By safety razor, I mean one of these.

Hmm, I guess if that was good enough for our fathers, it might indeed be a good option for our own beards at least. How does it compare to a modern multiblade disposable? I tend to shave only 2 or 3 times a week, so it's usually pretty thick, I wonder if the safety razor would work then? How many shaves would you get with one blade?

One aspect where the safety razor is superior to disposables is that I presume it is much easier to rinse off the hair bits stuck in the grooves.

Comment

hobbes wrote:
                                            Bored's point is important. If you've got a weird shaped head, then baldness won't ever suit.
                                            See, I thought that. So much that I fought the idea for ages. But then I took the plunge and got rid of it and it looks fine.
                                            Yeah, yours looks fine bald. Like a Phil rather than a Grant Mitchell. Mine is like a 50p piece with a shelf on the back and nubbins all over the place.

Comment

I look like a Gestapo officer if I even have a close haircut. At going on 70 no one really gives shit what I look like, least of all me. However I'd still go for the Richard O'Brien look than pure naked skull

Plus I've a cyst on my crown that the world really doesn't to see.

Comment

That Andre Aggassi ad is an amazing thing. You just wouldn't see that years ago.

Comment

linus wrote:
                                                  Hmm, I guess if that was good enough for our fathers, it might indeed be a good option for our own beards at least. How does it compare to a modern multiblade disposable? I tend to shave only 2 or 3 times a week, so it's usually pretty thick, I wonder if the safety razor would work then? How many shaves would you get with one blade?

One aspect where the safety razor is superior to disposables is that I presume it is much easier to rinse off the hair bits stuck in the grooves.
                                                  I have that very double-edge safety razor (a Merkur 34C), which costs about £30. You can buy 100 razor blades for about £10, which means you can use a single blade 2-3 times a week for two years.

There is something of a learning curve involved, as there's no swivel head, but I find the shave much closer. It does take a bit longer to shave than with a multi-blade cartridge, but you save a ton of cash.

Otherwise, you're right--no cloggage. Some razors are more aggressive than others and some blades are sharper than others. Pays to do some research. You could maybe contact Richard Keys.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X