Balding blokes shaving their heads

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's almost de riguer, now, isn't it? Just about everyone under the age of 40 who's going as bald as a coot simply shaves it all off, and pretends they look like Bruce Willis, or if they can't pull that off, Grant Mitchell.

I'm not afflicted by the baldness gene (if anything, my continued hirsuteness is more of a problem, as after four weeks without a haircut I look like Leo Sayer) but it got me thinking, in the photo comparisons between Bobby Charlton and Wayne Rooney in the papers today. Bobby was 31, 32 when half of those "combover" pictures he's now ridiculed for were taken, the poor bastard. Nowadays he'd have shaved the lot off and been as cool as Jason Statham, wouldn't he?

Jason Statham's meant to be cool?

Comment

It is a recent development for sure. Skinheads used to look a bit alien, but no more.

The trick is to shave/suede it when you have full coverage, if your skull suits it, then cultivate a distraction of hair once it starts thinning.

Comment

Or wear a hat, and look deep.

Comment

Not much currency in that these days. I blame Bruce Willis.

Comment

I am at that awkward stage where it is starting to thin but a suedehead may make it more pronounced. Also, my head is very uneven with a couple of nubbins. Equally, I think that having it longer makes it more pronounced. There is a a length that it is for a day where it is fine.

But, yeah, more bald blokes around.

Comment

I went to a rockabilly do at the weekend, which was mostly attended by gents in their late 50s, nearly all with full heads of quiffed hair. Not many baldies at all.

Contrast with any old punk gig (say, Wire or Buzzcocks) where the audience, mostly mid-50s, look like a sea of boiled eggs from upstairs.

Maybe men who lose their hair give up being rockabillies, as the hair is so much of it? Whereas, one can be an ageing punk and bald or anything, really?

Comment

Rogin, the man who took the humble out of humblebrag

Comment

I had an inkling my hair was thinning, but when the top of my head got burned through my hair whilst waiting at a bus stop in Athens on the way to the hall to watch Eurovision 2006 then it was confirmed.

The sore head really put me off Daz Sampson.

I then bought clippers on the way home from the airport the next day and have shaved it ever since. The savings in hair care products have been outweighed by the increased spend on hats though. Apparently wearing a black fedora makes you either look Hasidic or like Herr Flick, depending on which of my brothers you talk to.

Comment

These days, fedora = hipster.

Apparently Wrexham has the highest proportion of bald men in the UK - my almost sickening hirsuteness may be some kind of botched attempt at karmic rebalancing for the town.

Comment

My hair is receding and thinning to the point where a no.3 or shorter would be a sensible move in the not too distant future - but I suffer from the same problem as Steve Bruce, in that I have a head like a shoebox.

Comment

Comment

Rogin the Armchair Fan wrote: It's almost de riguer, now, isn't it? Just about everyone under the age of 40 who's going as bald as a coot simply shaves it all off, and pretends they look like Bruce Willis, or if they can't pull that off, Grant Mitchell.
                          Hey Rogin, welcome to the year 2000.

If anything, I have too much hair, but complaining about that won't get you much sympathy.

Comment

I like the Will Gompertz approach to baldness, ie enjoy it.

Comment

Or [the late] Terry Nutkins

Comment

Three Times A Reddy wrote: These days, fedora = hipster.
                                I always thought fedora these days = terminally single bloke (google image search 'fedora guy' gives a good idea)

Bored's point is important. If you've got a weird shaped head, then baldness won't ever suit. I'd look like a bloody alien or something if I took it all off. Luckily it's still very thick, and my dad still has a full head of hair at 66 and counting, so I might not have to worry about it

Comment

My goddaughter's father, who started losing his hair 20 years ago, recently told me that he's relieved that he was able to put baldness behind him while he was still young and strong enough to deal with it.

I, on the other hand, "have got it all to come. "Just think, in ten years from now, you'll have turned to fat, your joints will be knackered and your body will basically be falling to pieces. And if that's not bad enough, you'll also have to stand in front of the mirror and watch yourself turning into Tony Gubba."

Comment

Lots of shaved-head blokes at my workplace. I've got a full head of dark hair, though I'm in in my 50s. I've had quite a few comments about wigs and Grecian 2000.
                                    I really do think there's some bitterness there. Thing is, all these men are younger than me. In return, I envy them their youth, just don't make a show of it.

Comment

Haddock wrote: I really do think there's some bitterness there.
                                      I've still got my hair, but I'd definitely be bitter if I hadn't.

A bloke I play football with used to comment on younger team-mates' thinning hair and it used to make me cringe. He'd pat them on their bald spot and say stuff like, "Have you been standing in fertiliser? You're growing out of your hair, you are." Why he never got a smack in the mouth, I don't know.

His "jokes" backfired, of course. He started losing his hair relatively late (aged 49), but then very, very quickly. Because most of the people I play football with are decent sorts, they refrain from commenting on it.

Comment

MsD wrote: Maybe men who lose their hair give up being rockabillies, as the hair is so much of it? Whereas, one can be an ageing punk and bald or anything, really?
                                        The Mohawk can be a good, uhh, transitional hairstyle for some:

Comment

I am at that awkward stage where it is starting to thin but a suedehead may make it more pronounced.
                                          That's basically where I am and my brother shaved his head at about my age. It's ridiculously thin at the front and I've got an ever expanding bald spot, but (not least because I'm ginger), I'm worried shaving will just make it look worse.

Comment

Actually, I really should say that it's only three out of maybe a dozen blokes who I can remember making comments and therefore thought there was some kind of complex in evidence.

Comment

Some guys get MPB, whatcha gonna do? It seems to be one of those body-issue areas that remains exempt from censure to most. 'Thinness' is another - ie, you can't remark on a person being overweight, but you can remark on their being underweight. Or indeed call somebody 'baldy'. Best we get over it.

Comment

george clarts wrote:
                                                The Mohawk can be a good, uhh, transitional hairstyle for some:

Yep, I think he looks great, even though I'm not that into beards.

Most women don't mind baldness as much as men seem to mind going bald. It's not usually a dealbreaker.

Comment

I don't mind baldness. I mind balding. My hair is in a weird halfway house at the moment.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X