Goalkeepers who have scored

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

As an aside from the 'players who have never scored' thread, who are the most prolific keepers? Obviously Campos, Ceni and Chilavert- maybe it's a 'C' thing- but domestically? I'm sure Alex Stepney was joint top scorer at Man Utd about half way through the season they went down in the seventies, but only with two goals, both penalties IIRC, and I think that was pretty much his lot. Any suggestions?

Hans Jorg Butt used to score a few, mostly if not all of them penalties.

Comment

Hamish McAlpine spent a season or so taking Dundee United's penalties in the late 1970's.

Comment

Paul Robinson has two - that header for Leeds against Swindon (I think) in the League Cup and I can't recall whether it was a goal kick or free kick that sailed over Ben Foster.

Two of Peter Schmeichel's goals came while playing for English clubs and let's not forget that overhead kick against Wimbledon. Yes, it was rightly disallowed for offside but how many non-South American 'keepers would even think about doing that?

Comment

Perhaps the most important domestic goal by a keeper: Jimmy Glass, Carlisle v Plymouth, 1999, 95th minute. Glass was on loan.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1I9lLmZUKI0

Comment

Jens Lehmann scored twice for Schalke, although one of them was a penalty.

Comment

Oliver Kahn once netted for Bayern, but it was disallowed for a minor infringement.

Comment

According to Wikipedia, the highest scoring goalie to have spent his entire career in the UK is Ernie Scattergood who played for Derby and Bradford Park Avenue. He scored eight times.

Comment

According to Wiki, Ceni was São Paulo's top scorer in both 2005 and 2006, with a combined total of 37 goals. In his career, he has - so far - scored 130 times.

That, my friends, is crazy.

Comment

Discounting set pieces, Mart Poom scored an absolute corker for Sunderland against Derby in the last minute at Pride Park.

If a kick out the hands is not counted as a set play, then from memory Shilton, Ogrizovic and Martin Hodge all netted. Ogrizovics might even have been against Martin Hodge. EDIT: Totally wrong, Hodge didn't score a goal but was teh custodian when Oggy did score.

As an aside I also did this once, and to be honest it was really hard to see if it had gone in, I was wondering why my team mates were running back towards me.

Comment

Tim Howard on a windy day. Didn't celebrate because of the goalkeepers union.

Comment

caja-dglh wrote: Tim Howard on a windy day. Didn't celebrate because of the goalkeepers union.
                        Yeah, that's brilliant. Jimmy Glass aside no keeper should ever celebrate making their oppostite number look foolish.

Was that the one where he was almost apologetic in his interview afterwards? or was that Begovic maybe.

Comment

Mark Bosnich?

Comment

My Dad was at the Charity Shield game in 1967 at Old Trafford when Pat Jennings scored - against Alex Stepney - with one of those big punts that simply bounced over his opposite number's head and went in.

Thinking it was just a simple clearance he had turned to talk to my Mum and completely missed it. She saw it go in and asked him (as the roar from the crowd began) "is that allowed?"

footage

Comment

So from that Howard goal I learned that 4 goalkeepers have scored in the Premier League. Brad Friedel being the one we hadn't listed so far.

Comment

Do 'keepers pressed into action as outfield players because your squad's on the bare bones of its arse count? If so, Alan Fettis scored 2 for us in the 94/95 season, a last minute goal as a sub in a 3-1 win against Oxford, then getting a full game, playing like a daft twat only to score a last minute winner in the last game of the season at Blackpool.

Comment

Tricky. Part of me says it counts because he continued his career as a keeper but the other part of me wants to insist that the player is wearing goalkeeping gloves when they score the goal.

Comment

Michelle Betos

My favorite 'unorthodox diving header' goalkeeper goal.

Comment

treibeis wrote: Oliver Kahn once netted for Bayern, but it was disallowed for a minor infringement.
                                      Hahaha, that's brilliant. Did he think the ref wouldn't notice?

Comment

https://[video=youtube_share;sAMK7EM...?v=sAMK7EMKMx4[/video]

From the centre circle the goalie picks the ball up and runs past numerous opposition players before lashing it home. There might be some exaggeration there.

Comment

The-Reverend wrote: Discounting set pieces, Mart Poom scored an absolute corker for Sunderland against Derby in the last minute at Pride Park.
                                          It was a bullet header wasn't it? And in the most ludicrous example of "non-celebration", if I remember rightly, he didn't celebrate it as he used to play for Derby County.

Comment

Aside from the Jimmy Glass goal (which I think we've established was witnessed live by about 5 OTFers) I've seen two other goalie strikes 'live' over the years - Peter Keen for Carlisle at Blackpool with a wind-assisted long range bouncer, and Zac Hibbert with a cracking hit from the edge of the box, at Marine, the goal being a last minute equaliser for Skem.

Comment

A Belgian Scoring for Aberdeen in the Scottish cup on English soil. Mark de Clerck in 1980.

Comment

Do penalties count ...if they're tournament-winning?

Comment

mirko bolesan wrote:
                                                  Originally posted by The-Reverend
                                                  Discounting set pieces, Mart Poom scored an absolute corker for Sunderland against Derby in the last minute at Pride Park.
                                                  It was a bullet header wasn't it? And in the most ludicrous example of "non-celebration", if I remember rightly, he didn't celebrate it as he used to play for Derby County.
                                                  Yeah, he was Derby keeper for a decent spell when we were in the top flight.

He sort of raises his hands when he realises that he's scored, then remembers where he is and just jogs back to his goal shrugging his teammates off.

Little fact, he also made his debut at OT whit Paulo Wanchope, when he scored that great goal in a 3-2 Derby victory.

Poominator

Comment

Working...
                                                  X