• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Urban Renewal? College Football

Same old Bruins.

Comment

Citadel beats South Carolina

Florida Atlantic taking the Gators to OT in Gainsville.

Comment

Florida eventually did win in OT, a real "you're a winner and a loser" situtation.

Comment

To quote Piers Morgan, "I want to die."

Comment

I'm feeling bad for ya Inca - that had to be a tough one.

Still feeling odd that the Sooners have all but assured themselves of a final four place. They destroyed the Cowpokes in Stillwater last night - dig qb Baker Mayfield's block - would never have thought that the ugly loss to Texas could have been a good thing.

Not sold on Clemson (tho they kicked the crap outta Sooners last bowl game) or Iowa. Bama will salivate at another chance at OU. Normally not too bothered with conference championship games, but this Saturday I may have to check them out.

Comment

Yesterday's game was incredibly frustrating. A handful of moments that had really huge impacts on the game and swung things. USC scoring on a short punt return near the end of the first half to go up. Rosen fumbling and USC returning for a TD in the 3rd quarter just as momentum had shifted towards UCLA, and another score would have put them in great position for the rest of the game. I have to say that USC benefited the most from the officiating as well. There was an obvious block in the back on the punt return TD that should have nullified the score. One of USC's interceptions was the result of Iman Marshall (goddamn, do I hate that most of the best guys from my high school want to go to SC) holding the jersey of the UCLA receiver and impeding his route before picking it off.

But honestly, USC just played a better game. The UCLA O-line was overpowered for most of the game, and UCLA couldn't stop the SC running game. The cliche about winning in the trenches proved accurate. This will be remembered by Bruin fans as the what if season. We got hit with more serious injuries that most teams face as par for the course. Just some bad luck that had a big impact.

Comment

The ending of the Iowa-Michigan State game was really entertaining. I think that once the clock got under 2 minutes, Iowa should have just let Michigan State scored to get the ball back with enough time. Instead, they fought valiantly, but couldn't keep them out, and ended up with 20 seconds left to score.

Comment

From Pat Forde on Twitter

Steve Sarkisian has filed suit against USC, claiming breach, etc. Complaint includes phrase "kicked him to the curb" multiple times. Oh boy.

Comment

The suit cites a Bleacher Report article giving Sark an "A+" grade for coaching in the ASU game, when he was allegedly drunk.

Also of note, the suit reveals that USC apparently paid $1 million annually to Sark Enterprises, which is a marketing firm owned by Sarkisian, for marketing services he provided. What the hell is going on there?

Comment

Comment

Perhaps the Famous Idaho Potato Bowl should rethink its midweek afternoon start time

Comment

Midway through 3rd quarter - 39 degrees in Boise - not too awful. Akron is currently at 54 and Logan at 33 degrees.

Boise is a mere 300 miles from the USU campus - sure as hell can't be too many Zips fans there.

Every year the officials of the New Mexico Bowl go through similar worries of low attendance and poor weather. They are smart to have the game during the day (and almost always on a Saturday) as it cools off tremendously once the sun goes down. This year the Lobos made their first bowl game in a number of years. Around 30,000 showed up, many from Tucson, and the Wildcats proved too much for UNM, holding on to a 45-37 victory.

Still bemused that the Sooners made the final four. Fortunate to have faced second/third string QBs for their last three games v. TCU, Baylor and OSU. Clemson kicked the snot out of them last year so that has to rankle a bit, but Watson is a stud QB who will be a handful. Would love a Sooners/Spartans final.

Comment

Doesn't matter when the Idaho bowl gets started, even hardcore NCAAF fans like me will have a hard time tuning in, but they can't afford to go against other bowls with P5 schools, so they have to start early. Bowl season started today, the Sun was a solid game. Falk to Marks is the best throw and catch combo in college football (Goff to Lawler faded halfway this season when KL got injured).

The Dook-Hoosiers game was pretty entertaining too. Missed the UCLA-Neb game, I could only manage 4 games today, soccer included, but it's too bad that the southern branch had to blemish the P12's record against a beatable opponent. I guess the difference in bowl games is coaching, because of the long layover, which puts the premium on proper scouting and game plan prep, and Riley is better than Mora there.

Comment

Mora will be feeling serious pressure for the first time now. Consensus among the fans is that Mazzone (the OC) needs to go, as well as a lot of other coaches. Injuries obviously still played a part, but far too often the players don't look well prepared and still make way too many dumb penalties.

Comment

At least Mora is a good recruiter, and being in LA, the epicenter of prep talent, that means 8 to 10 wins per season nearly every year.

Comment

Can't get too worked up over that butt-kicking. Clemson is a tough team. Never felt confident watching this one.

OU basically lost both starting running backs in the second half but it really didn't matter. The Clemson front four gave Mayfield no time and their secondary did not allow anything for distance.

Now I am really hoping for the Spartans to stab some Tide.

Comment

Looks like another Bama title ahead, unfortunately. This was a year with a lot of parity, and a relatively weak top 5.

Furd laying the wood on the Hawkeyes in Pasadena, it's kind of troubling that Iowa couldn't even slow their ground games in the first quarter. Funniest thing about this game is that Carly Fiorina tweeted her support for Iowa, against her alma mater. Talk about pandering...

Comment

Ducks on the wrong end of the biggest comeback in bowl history, up 28-0 at halftime, only to lose 47-41 in triple OT. One of the few great games in this bowl season.

Comment

Urgh! Losing the starting QB and centre cooked the Ducks. My heart went out to the two kids who replaced them, they died a thousand deaths with every down.

Comment

Lockie, who replaced Adams, did start several games this season while Adams had a fractured finger. TCU played the whole game without their suspended star QB Boykin.

This wasn't the biggest lead Oregon has blown, they were up 30-0 against Cal in 1993 and lost 42-41.

Oregon has lots of talent at skill positions, but their returning QBs Lockie and Alie look like a liability right now.

Comment

True enough. I think Lockie might have settled in well enough to hold the lead — if only by extending a few series — with an experienced centre. But the snaps were dreadful. If nothing else it's a reminder just what an important, but thankless, position centre is.

Comment

Clemson making a game out of this, mostly through Watson's legs. Hope they can hold on to this...

Comment

Helluva an onside kick call by bama. I too, hope Clemson can go 15-0.

Comment

I don't like Bama and I definitely don't like Saban, but that was a game for the ages. Just an unbelievable offensive performance in the second half.

National champion Lane Kiffin. What a world.

Comment

I guess some unlucky program is going to hire him now. The bigger douche in their coaching staff is Tosh Lupoi, star (sleazy) recruiter who backstabbed his alma mater before jumping ship to UW, where he recruited a bunch of good players and got caught cheating.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X