Urban Renewal? College Football

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There were hints of that after the booster dinner, stuff like "people familiar with Sarkisian's time in Washington aren't surprised to hear about this," etc.

Yes, two failed football hires for Haden in a row. I can't see where he survives this. They should have just stuck with Orgeron after Kiffin.

Comment

Sark's penchant for booze is only a problem if you lose at home to Washington after getting dominated by Furd.

Haden is too entrenched in USC culture, he probably gets a pass and another shot at the next hire. If Utah blows up, they might go after Wittingham, or even Peterson if UW finish strong.

Comment

In other news, 6-0 Florida's quarterback fails a PED test and is suspended for the year.

Comment

Sarkisian terminated with immediate effect

BTW, Columbia finally found someone they could beat, recording their first win in three years against Wagner, a school from Staten Island that I did not know played football.

Comment

Tough week for Flying Dutchmen fans then.

Comment

That's Hofstra

Wagner are the Seahawks

Multiple reports that Spurrier is retiring with immediate effect

Comment

Yes I made it up Ursus, but at the very least Wagner College's women team really should be the Walkyries.

Yes Spurrier hasn't had much left in the tank for a while now, he had a very long run.

It does look like Haden is going to be replaced.

Big game coming up this Thursday in the Pac12, Furd hosts UCLA, hope your boys are up to the task Inca, we need all the help we can get in the race for the division after the tough loss at Utah.

Comment

but at the very least Wagner College's women team really should be the Walkyries
                  I actually made this comment to a Wagner student about 30 years ago.

It was a very good guess, given that Hofstra are the Flying Dutchmen and are in Nassau County, which isn't far away. Though my favourite New York area Dutch-influenced nickname will always be that of Stuyvesant High School

Comment

ursus arctos wrote: BTW, Columbia finally found someone they could beat, recording their first win in three years against Wagner, a school from Staten Island that I did not know played football.
                    Yet NPR has spent all week promoting its winning show about them talking up the mystery of whether they would break their two year losing streak this year.

First time I have had to turn off NPR in the week for a while.

Comment

Woah.

Georgia Tech beat Florida State by taking a blocked field goal to the house after time had expired.

Comment

Here's a video link - love the pitch invasion at the end.

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=13964547

Comment

I just happened to be watching the TV the other night... and caught the third quarter of Arizona State v Oregon.

May I just say: WOW. What a fucking game. Triple overtime, and Oregon sneaked it... I think it was a re-run, but I went thru about 4 free baskets of nachos, in that short 3 hours. Hey, I integrate! x

Comment

Easily the craziest lateral-filled, game-ending kickoff return touchdown I've ever seen.

https://once.unicornmedia.com/now/adaptive/m3u8/4d993388-8b49-4f34-9e48-87906e690281/85957be9-026a-415e-a8ce-7bfdc19d5e23/8b3edfbe-4836-4e4e-9bf8-87dec358f41c/content.m3u8?visitguid=264e8505-e669-42c8-a824-fca67d592b25&UMADPARAMreferer=http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=14022650&UMADPARAMcsid=espn:clips:twitterm obile

It is only hurt by a lack of a marching band around the end zone.

Comment

33 years later, someone finally managed to pull it off. They were helped by the horrible coverage and tackling job by Duke.

Comment

Not to mention a series of missed calls that have resulted in the entire set of officials being suspended for two games.

Inca, your boys got some 'splainin to do

Comment

Yow! OSU cowpokes stomp The horned frogs 49-29. Boykin throws for a ton, but throws 4 picks. TCU runs over 100 snaps but can't overcome a smothering Aggie defense.

Even as an OU alum, I'd Love to see OSU win conference and get in the final four. Coach gundy is a class act. They got ISU away and close at home to Baylor and OU.

Comment

That backwards flipteral was as awesome for Arkansas against Old Miss as Marques Colston's goofball lateral for the Saints against the Seahawks was in 2013.

Again, I wonder about the effect of that wacky 2-hand touch version of football that was played in New Orleans, and I can only assume, in the rest of the south...and how that leads to so many wacked-out endings in Southern football over the past few years.

A forward pass was allowed at any time from any player, and you had to score on a kickoff (passing allowed) or on 1st down. If "taut" ("touched") on 1st down, you could elect to punt to essentially take away the kickoff. This meant the other team had to score on their only down.

Of course, you could score on 2nd-3rd-4th, but it was only 1 touchdown and they would get a full kickoff. And if you scored on kickoff or 1st down? Winners out (with the taunt of "serrrrrvvve ussssss!!!) with a complete kickoff-1st down chance.

I've never seen such dynamic football in my life. Hearing about Randy Moss in his 30 for 30 episode talking about a version they played called "Razzle Dazzle," it may be worth teaching or playing instead of regular gridiron in the younger ages.

Comment

The entire end of that game was nuts, with just the 20-yard backwards lateral being the must out-there part.
                                      First Ole Miss trying to convert on a 4&5 from around midfield with 16 seconds left, not doing so and therefore setting up Arkansas to run a play and get in field goal range for a game winner (blocked).
                                      Then the Arkansas drive in OT where they had to score a TD, with the forward pass, backward pass to bail out as it wasn't going to work, 30 yard forward run, additional unnecessary backward pass, recovery, conversion on 4&25 (straight out of the play-book, that one).
                                      Then Arkansas calling for a two point conversion, and the Ole Miss defense completely blowing up the play, only for the player who had the Arkansas QB utterly stuck to make the 'sack' by grabbing his facemask!

The number of chances that Ole Miss had to win this game, and somehow lose it, beggared belief. That one will hurt for years.

Comment

It may hurt, but Arkansas-Ole Miss tend to have these types of games. You may recognize the QB in this humdinger from '01.

Comment

ursus arctos wrote: Not to mention a series of missed calls that have resulted in the entire set of officials being suspended for two games.

Inca, your boys got some 'splainin to do

Everyone is doing it now. At least the camo was only on the undershirts, and not on the jerseys.

Comment

Speaking of UCLA splainin, there was an incident during the Cal game where some Cal fans who carried a large bear state flag had it confiscated by orders of their athletic dept:

https://www.facebook.com/montgomeryken/posts/10153760864537835?fref=nf

Comment

Alright, now this is too far...

For the team’s home finale/Military Appreciation Day against Washington State a week later (Nov. 14), UCLA Football will honor its long-standing relationship with the U.S Navy SEAL community by wearing a special helmet, along with a ‘Dark Ops’ base layer under its alternate ‘City’ uniform.
                                              We have a long-standing relationship with the Navy SEAL community, apparently. Here are the helmets:

With the UCLA script on the other side.

Comment

Has anyone looked into the funding of this nonsense?

It's become clear that the Defense Department has been funneling millions to the professional teams for their own "salutes to our troops".

Comment

Baylor 34 Oklahoma 44

Rainy night in Waco and the Sooner defense took advantage of a tentative freshman qb - and also some conservative Baylor play-calling. OSU is the only undefeated Big-12 team left.

He doesn't seem to be among the Heisman candidates, but Baker Mayfield is turning into my favorite OU qb of all-time. The guy is total energy, enthusiasm, and skill. He has a little bit better numbers than OU Heisman winners Bradford and White after the same number of games. Only downside is that he is reckless as hell and puts his body in unnecessary danger just to get a few more yards.

UPDATE: More joy for Albuquerque - UNM, for the last few years a laughing stock, beat Boise State 31-24 on their own blue turf. Lobos end up w/ 16 penalties, have 11 1st downs to 40 for BSU and run only half as many plays as the Broncos but still win.

Lobos 6-4, Holly Holm UFC champ, a good Saturday night.

Comment

Ducks now 7–3 after squeezing past Stanford. No defence worth it's name though.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X