No announcement yet.

Urban Renewal? College Football

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Seeing as the NFL one has been bumped, are we sticking with this thread for the new season? I'd start a new one but I haven't got a punning title worthy of it.

Comment

Fine with me to keep it

Sports Illustrated just made Alabama their pre-season pick for National Champion
      Florida State, Ohio State, Oklahoma State and USC are the rest of their top five.

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
        Fine with me to keep it

Sports Illustrated just made Alabama their pre-season pick for National Champion
        Florida State, Ohio State, Oklahoma State and USC are the rest of their top five.
        Expectations are very high around here. Top 10, hopefully. We'll see.

That's all I have. I don't care as much as I used to.

Comment

SI has you at 8

Comment

SI has you at 8
            Sounds ok, but preseason polls don't matter.

Comment

Starting to work through the deluge of games that my TiVo records on the series link for the BT Sport coverage. Have to be selective about what I commit to watch as there is so much of it.

First game I watched was the Stanford vs Rice (technically a Rice home game) game in Sydney (yes that one). The game was a blowout as could be expected - it wasn't a sell out and it wasn't even in ANZ, it was in the smaller Allianz. I'm not even going to try to work out how the time zones panned out for that so not sure how much TV money was at play, but the whole thing seemed to be a promotional tool for Sydney itself (lots of between play shots of Sydney attractions, and prominent advertising around the stadium) so I presume Sydney/NSW put a lot of money into this endeavour - which is the sort of thing they tend to do in Australia, I've noticed.

I'm now on Michigan v Florida at another neutral venue, the AT&T Stadium in Dallas. So pleasingly the first two games I've watched have been at stadia I've been to (albeit I only did the stadium tour at AT&T), but I'll quickly run out of options to keep that streak going. Tbh I only watched the first game for the curiosity factor of it being in Australia.

Comment

Stanford-Rice was 10pm Eastern, 7 Pacific, so not that bad.

The game was part of a multi-year promotion. Cal played there last year.

Such trips are a bit more palatable to faculty, as school hasn't started yet.

Comment

Quite a weekend for the state of Texas

Comment

Originally posted by Walt Flanagans Dog View Post
                    Starting to work through the deluge of games that my TiVo records on the series link for the BT Sport coverage. Have to be selective about what I commit to watch as there is so much of it.

First game I watched was the Stanford vs Rice (technically a Rice home game) game in Sydney (yes that one). The game was a blowout as could be expected - it wasn't a sell out and it wasn't even in ANZ, it was in the smaller Allianz. I'm not even going to try to work out how the time zones panned out for that so not sure how much TV money was at play, but the whole thing seemed to be a promotional tool for Sydney itself (lots of between play shots of Sydney attractions, and prominent advertising around the stadium) so I presume Sydney/NSW put a lot of money into this endeavour - which is the sort of thing they tend to do in Australia, I've noticed.

I'm now on Michigan v Florida at another neutral venue, the AT&T Stadium in Dallas. So pleasingly the first two games I've watched have been at stadia I've been to (albeit I only did the stadium tour at AT&T), but I'll quickly run out of options to keep that streak going. Tbh I only watched the first game for the curiosity factor of it being in Australia.
                    Australia seems to be the only country that matches America in terms of throwing public money after big-time sports/stadiums.

Comment

As we await Inca arriving in a helicopter with a cheetah-skin cape and ebony magic stick...

Comment

Other developed countries generally seem to require a "global prestige event" in order to turn on the public money taps, and also spread the cash around to other infrastructure projects that can profit the well connected.

One of the principal reasons why many Italian football stadia have not been updated since the 1990 World Cup is that all of the relevant municipalities had been assured that federal funds would be available as soon as Italy was awarded the 2008 Euros, which were said to be a "dead cert".

Calciopoli scared off UEFA and the financial crisis put paid to any backup plans.

Comment

Stanford-Rice is a terrible match-up for an event game like that.

Comment

Other developed countries generally seem to require a "global prestige event" in order to turn on the public money taps, and also spread the cash around to other infrastructure projects that can profit the well connected.

One of the principal reasons why many Italian football stadia have not been updated since the 1990 World Cup is that all of the relevant municipalities had been assured that federal funds would be available as soon as Italy was awarded the 2008 Euros, which were said to be a "dead cert".

Calciopoli scared off UEFA and the financial crisis put paid to any backup plans.
                            I don't know, I'm struggling to think of the global prestige events being hosted by Adelaide, Perth and Brisbane, which have all redeveloped their stadiums recently. Often more than one, since there's 90s America-esque trend to build separate rugby/soccer stadiums in the way that US cities decided baseball and football really couldn't share the same stadiums anymore.

Adelaide dumped a 25 year old AFL stadium, Atlanta Braves-style, in favour of doing a hack job on the Adelaide Oval that would make the Chicago Bears blush.

Mind, this very well could be a reaction to the Sydney Olympic Park and the MCG redevelopment.

Comment

Aren't the next Commonwealth games in Brisbane/Gold Coast?

Comment

Sorry, Flynnie.

I meant countries other than the US and Australia (and Canada to some extent).

Comment

Originally posted by ad hoc View Post
                                  Aren't the next Commonwealth games in Brisbane/Gold Coast?
                                  They're in the Gold Coast, primarily. Lang Park and the Gabba were redeveloped well over a decade ago.

To be fair to the good people of Queensland, those two Brisbane sporting venues really needed it. The Gabba in particular was an odd venue before it was redone. I think it was basically kidney shaped.

Comment

Working...
                                  X