Football clubs in American comedy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Spinning off from Mumpo's quiz on fictional characters and their teams ...

Gags required shared knowledge, so naturally any scripts made in the USA will likely refer to Boston Redsox rather than Bristol Rovers. But occasionally one slips through:

In M*A*S*H, there's an episode featuring British soldiers, and one gets news from home about "the Queens Park Rangers".

In Matthew Perry's hastily cancelled "Go On", he, er, goes on about Manchester City and the writers obviously Googled and came up with - Micah Richards.

Frasier was mentioned on the other thread. Others?

The Simpsons has slipped in a couple of mentions. In a recent episode, the son in a family that moves next door is an annoying hipster, and he has a West Ham banner (but in green?)

Comment

That's especially strange considering the rest of the decor is reasonably close to the club colours although that may just be a coincidence considering The Simpsons usually does its research and they're far from dead-on.

More Simpsons stuff:
      Ryan Giggs is mentioned in a line said by Homer in that cringeworthy episode where they go to the UK.
      Ronaldo (as in Senhor Nazario da Lima) guest stars while wearing his full Real Madrid kit.

Comment

While Cristiano turns up in a Simpsons-themed advert for Nike

Comment

That could be a half and half 'Green Street' banner.

Comment

tee rex wrote: Spinning off from Mumpo's quiz on fictional characters and their teams ...

Gags required shared knowledge, so naturally any scripts made in the USA will likely refer to Boston Redsox rather than Bristol Rovers. But occasionally one slips through:

In M*A*S*H, there's an episode featuring British soldiers, and one gets news from home about "the Queens Park Rangers".

In Matthew Perry's hastily cancelled "Go On", he, er, goes on about Manchester City and the writers obviously Googled and came up with - Micah Richards.

Frasier was mentioned on the other thread. Others?
            RE the M*A*S*H reference - Mumpo's OP brought this to my mind too.
            It was a really early one, with Trapper John there I think, & the story involved some British casualties.
            Cue awful attempts at some sort of Brit accent & dialogue around said squaddies discussing the results in a paper....
            "Here, Alf, I see the Queens Park Rangers defeated Manchester United by two goals to one. They're going to take the cup!"

Cue arrival of crusty Brit officer type who accuses the troops of malingering & being "mollycoddled. This isn't a day trip to Blackpool you know."

Obviously this unsympathetic tone meets the disapproval of our heroes who do something or other & everybody learns a lesson or something so take that 'the man'.

Comment

Well, he was quite right about the Blackpool thing. I'm sure most people would rather spend a couple of weeks in a Vietnam field hospital than a couple of minutes in the Tower Lounge.

Comment

Double wrongness: Blackpool Tower Ballroom is a thing of beauty and M*A*S*H was set in the Korean war...

Comment

Alright, I'll give you the war, but I was referring to the Tower Lounge, which was the pub underneath, not the ballroom.

We'll call it a draw.

Comment

Frasier married ex-Bristol City centre forward Alan Walsh's daughter. There's a picture of Grammar posing with the owner in our local Chinese.

Comment

Comment

Luke R wrote: Frasier married ex-Bristol City centre forward Alan Walsh's daughter. There's a picture of Grammar posing with the owner in our local Chinese.
                        My uncle played in the same team as Walsh. When he attended the reunion of the 1986 Freight Rover Trophy squad, he told me that Walsh's daughter had married an American actor. "He played somebody called Frasier, I think" he would go on to tell me.

Comment

That summer was probably my best childhood halcyon days summer. Hand of God, City at Wembley for the first time, the summer I went to big school. Played football from dawn 'til dusk etc.

Love to know who your Uncle is. That squad and the one that a little later gained promotion will always be my favourite squad.

Comment

Luke R wrote: That summer was probably my best childhood halcyon days summer. Hand of God, City at Wembley for the first time, the summer I went to big school. Played football from dawn 'til dusk etc.

Love to know who your Uncle is. That squad and the one that a little later gained promotion will always be my favourite squad.
                            My uncle is Brian Williams. A lot of that squad - Glynn Riley, Rob Newman, Keith Curle, Keith Waugh, Steve Melville - were good friends of our family.

Comment

Remember him fondly, had his (and many of that squad's) profile photo up on my wall, bushy (to me, then) 'tache an all.

Comment

Luke R wrote: Remember him fondly, had his (and many of that squad's) profile photo up on my wall, bushy (to me, then) 'tache an all.
                                Sturdy thighs as well.

After he went directly from the Rovers to the City, I expected him to get all sorts of stick. However, if I remember rightly, he got virtually none.

Comment

Luke R wrote: Frasier married ex-Bristol City centre forward Alan Walsh's daughter. There's a picture of Grammar posing with the owner in our local Chinese.
                                  Grammer is actually one year older than Alan Walsh.

Comment

treibeis wrote:
                                    Originally posted by Luke R
                                    Remember him fondly, had his (and many of that squad's) profile photo up on my wall, bushy (to me, then) 'tache an all.
                                    Sturdy thighs as well.

After he went directly from the Rovers to the City, I expected him to get all sorts of stick. However, if I remember rightly, he got virtually none.
                                    Quite liked by both sets of fans, yeah. He always gets a good reception at Gigg Lane and the County Ground as well.

Anyway, back on topic. The scene with backpackers encountering "Manchester United soccer hooligans" led by Vinnie Jones in Euro Trip is excruciating.

Comment

Van Nistelrooy misses a penalty in an episode of Entourage. What a load of unbelievable shite.

Comment

Third Lanark from the Sun
                                        Diff'rent Stokes
                                        Malcolm in the Middlesbrough
                                        York and Mindy
                                        Cheers-terfield

Comment

And of curse the spinoff of Cheers-terfield in which one of the characters becomes a sports psychologist to a Highland League side, Frasierburgh.

Comment

Latest episode of Modern Family:

"Everyone knows Liverpool is having a cracking good year." (Haley's new boyfriend is British, so she gets up early to watch the games, and calls it football).

We'll give the writers extra points for being up to date, and since the conversation is in an American household, allow the use of "is". But "year" instead of "season" ... so, 7/10.

Comment

Originally posted by Nishlord View Post
                                              There's another scene where David St Hubbins is wearing a Wolves scarf. I don't know if it was a nod to Robert Plant.

Comment

It's not a comedy but I seem to remember in Star trek Enterprise captain Archer mentioning to Reed ,the English crewman, that England had just won the world cup,so by that stage it'll be 190 years of hurt

Comment

Not quite on subject but

Comment

Working...
                                                  X