September's Euro 2016 qualifiers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Turkey beating Lativia with 5mon to go, CR up 2-1 now. If the scores stand. with 3 games to go:

1 Iceland 7 6 0 1 18pts
    2 Czech Republic 7 5 1 1 16pts
    3 Turkey 7 3 2 2 11pts
    4 Netherlands 7 3 1 3 10pts

Comment

All credit to Iceland, but this Dutch team are fucking shocking.

Comment

Latvia have equalised against Turkey.

Comment

With the Dutch fans throwing paper planes onto the pitch, Sneijder flattens one of the Iceland players with a moronic challenge.

Comment

Woo! Go Ísland!

Comment

Yes! Come the fuck on, Wales!

No sleep 'til Cardiff.

Comment

that's incredible. wow iceland.

bale's header was rather emphatic wasn't it?

Comment

Holland are shit, but how the hell did Danny Blind get this gig?

He is 54 years old and has previously spent a full 14 months as manager, at Ajax, where he was parachuted into the job. He was the worst Ajax manager I can remember.

Comment

because nobody else wanted it?

Comment

In the whole world? I'm not so sure.

Comment

I have vague recollections of a scruffy paperback novella I once found in the school library back in the the early 80's in which Iceland, Luxembourg and, I think, Zaire reached the World Cup semifinals.

Well, it may not be the WC, but fucking hell I never thought I'd see the day they'd even get this far. Way to go Iceland.

Comment

Surely there are two or three half-decent coaches in Dutch football who could be trusted to do a reasonable job with this squad? There's no way Blind could have been the best candidate.

Comment

The expansion of the Euros to 24 will end up helping Russia & the Netherlands get through.

Iceland & Wales are doing enough to get through to the old 16-team competition.

Comment

Hiddink was appointed in 2014 with Blind as his assistant. The KNVB stated that the plan was that Hididnk would lead Holland to France 2016 and then retire. After that Blind would take over for the Russia 2018 campaign.

So it's not just that he was the only guy willing to take over now, the plan from the start was to parachute him in.

Comment

Preview of Friday's games.

Comment

Sky are saying that this is the Netherlands' first-ever home defeat in Euro qualification. Yikes.

Comment

Jah Womble wrote: Sky are saying that this is the Netherlands' first-ever home defeat in Euro qualification. Yikes.
                                    Luxembourg sensationally beat them 2-1 in Rotterdam in 1963. Now, that game was officially the away leg because Luxembourg didn't have a suitable stadium at the time, but even so.

Comment

Anyway, well done to Wales. I remember how good it felt in 1987 when Gary Mackay saved us and it sank in that we were on our way to our first Euro.

I hope that when they get there, they play positively and try to make a good impression on the tournament, as opposed to just showing up sheepishly hoping to avoid getting a bad thumping off somebody like Spain or Germany or France.

There will be a lot of middling, evenly-matched teams at this competition and very few genuinely excellent ones. If Wales show a bit of enterprise they could achieve more than they anticipate.

Comment

If, not "when", please.

Comment

Andorra have lost every single European Championship qualifier they've ever played, with a goal difference of 7-113 in those 40 matches.

I think you can put the "We mustn't be complacent or we'll jinx it!" stuff to one side at this stage. We're not talking about Iceland or Albania here.

Comment

I know that if we beat Israel we qualify (because it's effectively a six point game) but if we lose I genuinely don't know if just one more win is enough.

I haven't looked at permutations all campaign and am not going to start now.

Comment

If Wales finish on 20 points they can still be overtaken by either Belgium or Israel, but not both, because Belgium play Israel on the final day.

Comment

Hmmm, our worst performance of these qualifiers was the scraped 1-2 win in Andorra where we went behind after six minutes and only took the lead with nine minutes left. I'm not prejudging anything.

Comment

Please stop.

EDIT: to Green Calx, not you, Harry

Comment

Bored of Education wrote: Please stop.
                                                    Hahaha, you utter drama queen.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X